What is an OK Ozzie salary?

Guest lilopilo

Guest Guest75
Hiya Tyke,

Thanks, not sure if your comments about saving money were directed towards myself? if they are, believe me we are trying! We have no mortgage here in UK and minimal debts so the move is very appealing;-)

Nope Fluxta - general observations only;)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nomoreengland

No Im not admitting this.

Of course minimum wages are related to costs of living. Governements review what the minimum you need to earn per week is in order to survive hence why they have a minimum wage.

Clearly people who migrate here want to know what you need to earn in order to have an ok life. Minimum wages wont enable you to do this. LikeI said, the average per person is $60k so that gives a good indication.

Oh so you're admitting that the numbers you pulled out of thin air were completely made up then?

So now you're trying to tell us that minimum wages are directly related to cost of living? Shouldn't you be looking at cost of living if you're trying to determine cost of living?

Guest seekingsunshine
Hi all,

We are still thinking of trying to move over in 2011 after a reccie in 2009 and validating our visa. Because at the time we began the visa process the exchange rate peaked at 2.5 and is now at 1.5 ish we are finding it hard to work out a decent ozzie salary. For a family of 6, 2 adults and 4 kids does Aus $ 75 to 80 sound enough to live off????

Hope you can help,

thanks .

progress.gif

Hi Lilopilo

We have been here a year now and my husband earns roughly what you are quoting....we are expecting our 4th chld in january! so will have four aged 4 and under. i think you will easly be able to survive on this amount and have money to spare but like others have said - a lot depends on age of your kids and where you want to live! perhaps also on how much u can bring out as well - as to whether you need to factor in car loan etc, prvate school fees....

dont worry though, you will be able to ejoy a good quality of life! i dont have to work here , which i did for us to survive in the uk.

the only time you may struggle is when you get a mortgage as it is much cheaper renting as you get rent assistance etc - we are crippling ourselves at the moment doing up our home but that was our choice! i am planning to go back to work in order t pay for holidays and school fees (senior school) but prob not for at least five years lol! i didnt have this option in the uk and to me that says a lot!

also dont forget centrelink payements, with four kds you should get bout $500 a fortnight, you can do an estimator on centrelink website online!

hope this helps and good luck!

No Im not admitting this.

Of course minimum wages are related to costs of living. Governements review what the minimum you need to earn per week is in order to survive hence why they have a minimum wage.

Clearly people who migrate here want to know what you need to earn in order to have an ok life. Minimum wages wont enable you to do this. LikeI said, the average per person is $60k so that gives a good indication.

If you honestly think that costs of living are the only factor involved in setting minimum wages, then you're very naive. If the minimum wage was the minimum money needed to survive, then incapacity benefit would be equivalent. Bu that's another story.

If like you said, minimum wages don't enable you to have an ok life, why even bring them up in the first place?

Oh and you've still conveniently neglected to back up your earlier post where you claim that the average UK household income is AU$120k...

Guest Nomoreengland

1. I never said its the "only factor". I said Minimum wages are "related" to costs of living.

2. the reason i brought it up was to illustrate that Adelaide is more expensive than the Uk and therefore you need to earn more to sustain a nice life. Therefore, it would be foolish to just simply work out what your earning in the Uk and multiply it by the exchange rate of 1.57 dollars.

3. I never claimed the average Uk household income was $120k - I was talking about Australia.

4. You are making yourself look a little silly now.

If you honestly think that costs of living are the only factor involved in setting minimum wages, then you're very naive. If the minimum wage was the minimum money needed to survive, then incapacity benefit would be equivalent. Bu that's another story.

If like you said, minimum wages don't enable you to have an ok life, why even bring them up in the first place?

Oh and you've still conveniently neglected to back up your earlier post where you claim that the average UK household income is AU$120k...

Guest Guest75

3. I never claimed the average Uk household income was $120k - I was talking about Australia.

So you are saying that $120k is an average income per Aus household??

Dunno where that figure comes from?

I know Wiki is not perfect but look at this link.....

Median household income in Australia and New Zealand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. the reason i brought it up was to illustrate that Adelaide is more expensive than the Uk and therefore you need to earn more to sustain a nice life. Therefore, it would be foolish to just simply work out what your earning in the Uk and multiply it by the exchange rate of 1.57 dollars.

Just out of interest, which city/part of the UK are you comparing with Adelaide?

Guest Nomoreengland

Thats why I used the term "in general". And in terms of day to day prices like food, tesco even in central london is the same cost as tesco in rural yorkshire.

because central London costs exactly the same as rural Yorkshire?

Guest Nomoreengland

maybe you have some savings to lean on or you have another source of income which your not mentioning?

Yeh before tax......and we pay $500 mortgage per week.....and were doing alright....you have to cut your cloth accordingly.....

HG

...and having the choice of three Universities in this city alone, one of which (Adelaide Uni) ranks way up in the top Unis of the world - I think gives choices and options that are easily as good as in Britain ...

What a great thread - best fun I've had reading something on here in ages!

Just a point about the uni ranking, Diane, I'm not sure what study you refer to but Australia is pretty poor generally in top class universities (its model of aligning educational study on Australian soil to migration being the main reason it's attracted so many foreign students in the past, rather than its academic credentials; a point now the focus of much debate).

The Times ranking for 2010 has Adelaide Uni at 73rd place (some might see that as good, depends how you look at it - it's certainly an improvement on most years where it doesn't get in the top 100), and the RWU academic ranking for 2010 doesn't even place it in the top 200 in the world. Over the last five years or so, Adelaide Uni has dipped in and out of the top 100/200 of different rankings but has never been in the top half.

I'd humbly suggest that the only Australian universities that can claim to be anywhere near 'up there with the best' are ANU and Melbourne.

Jim

PS for what it's worth I think it's expensive over here!

Guest fluxsta

Ha ha!!! really??? put money on it?? Tesco central Oxford Street W1 is the same price for all goods as a Tescos out in the sticks in Yorkshire?? Where you been living then dude???

No offence....cloud cuckooland!!!

NO AVERAGE SALARY IS $120k in the UK OR in Oz......sorry, have a v e r y c l o s e look at people who have posted on here not some stats site to get a TRUE reflection of the reality of people's lives and salary.....

this thread goes on and on and on and ON....boring, come back down to earth please people

One love this Xmas

:biglaugh:

Thats why I used the term "in general". And in terms of day to day prices like food, tesco even in central london is the same cost as tesco in rural yorkshire.

Guest Nomoreengland

Tesco "metro" are the same prices for everything throughout the UK- so yes I will oput money on it. If you are unsure go on their website.

Ha ha!!! really??? put money on it?? Tesco central Oxford Street W1 is the same price for all goods as a Tescos out in the sticks in Yorkshire?? Where you been living then dude???

No offence....cloud cuckooland!!!

NO AVERAGE SALARY IS $120k in the UK OR in Oz......sorry, have a v e r y c l o s e look at people who have posted on here not some stats site to get a TRUE reflection of the reality of people's lives and salary.....

this thread goes on and on and on and ON....boring, come back down to earth please people

One love this Xmas

:biglaugh:

Guest Jo&Phil

While outgoings may be controllable, incomings may not be (ie: you'll get paid what the employer offers or what the 'award' rate is).

There are a few websites which quote salaries which might be useful to guage level of income you can expect in your occupation, eg:

Industrial Relations for award rates in SA

PayScale Australia - South Australia State Salary, Average Salaries

The Australian Bureau of Statistics says the average weekly wage in Oz is around $1250 (I'm guessing this is before tax) but remember, that takes in all the High Court Judges amongst us!

6302.0 - Average Weekly Earnings, Australia, Aug 2010

Tesco "metro" are the same prices for everything throughout the UK- so yes I will oput money on it. If you are unsure go on their website.

Tesco Metro is a corner shop, people don't do their weekly shop there... Well unless they live in central London and can't be bothered to travel out to the superstores. I think we can safely say that most people in rural yorkshire are not doing the bulk of their shopping in a tesco metro.

Guest fluxsta

Hello!

I'm fluxta's wife, Catherine (from a lovely 5am wake up call from our ickle twins in -7 degrees Surrey , UK. Brrr!) I haven't yet posted on this forum, so hello everyone! Can't wait to meet up with some of you in the new year :-)

This is hilarious reading! I can't believe that even my laid back hubbie has been getting a little wound up with this 'debate.' I'm struggling to grasp any direct, logical lines of comparison in the disagreements here. Surely the cost of living and the factors which make up a 'comfortable' lifestyle are both dependent on many environmental factors and are totally subjective to the person? Isn't there a big difference between what we can survive on and the income we like to have to purchase luxuries?

Firstly, I believe that the minimum wage in the UK does not reflect the government's understanding of the minimum amount required to live on. This is reflected in the base rate of benefit, which is, for a single adult £65.45 per week, or £3,403.40 per annum. I am not au fait with the Australian benefits system, but would be surprised to discover if the base rate of benefit was much different? People survive on this. Just survive, yes, but plenty of families live on benefits and manage to eke out a life for themselves.

For anyone who is employment and manages to take home more than this figure, the government considers you well able to manage. Yes, we have tax benefits in the UK, and but these are considered a bonus for bothering to gain employment

My point is, that anyone in employment in either the UK or Australia will be able to afford a roof over their heads and food on the table. If you love each other and have your health, then you're already winning! :-) Any comforts above that are a bonus aren't they? Maybe we all expect too much.

Coming from a family perspective, I wouldn't image any problem with living on a $50k salary. You can manage with what you have and, in my experience, people with small children have already braced themselves for a marked decrease in income anyway - At least for a few years. In our case, I have not worked full time since our eldest was born. Since then, we have incurred all the extra costs that Bella has brought, and then welcomed the surprise of two babies at once and all their associated costs (new car, new house, childcare....)

My quality of life has, however, improved as my expectations have changed and so have the things that give me pleasure. We are poorer but richer, if you know what I mean. Our planned move to Adelaide is, again, about the lifestyle we willl be able to offer our children. We will still be tight for money, but our children can actually run around outside (a concept which will be relatively new to them, trust me!) They will always be British passport holders, so can chose further education in either country, if they so chose.

As others have mentioned, maybe we need to address our expectations of our 'new life?' Does it really matter if cauliflower is a little more expensive? Really? Anyone can budget with whatever amount they have. Maybe have a think about the bigger picture? Rent and groceries are merely details when it comes down to it. Maybe we shouldn't worry about them so much!

Have a wonderful Christmas! x