What is an OK Ozzie salary?

Guest lilopilo

Guest Nomoreengland

Incorrect. many more rural areas of Yorkshire have a small Tesco Metro but dont have the luxury of a big tesco + may not have their own transport so wont hardly ever get to a big superstore. Therefore the lieklehood of visiting a tesco superstore compared with a tesco metro is about the same.

And yes- I can confirm prices in all tesco metros are the same UK wide.

Tesco Metro is a corner shop, people don't do their weekly shop there... Well unless they live in central London and can't be bothered to travel out to the superstores. I think we can safely say that most people in rural yorkshire are not doing the bulk of their shopping in a tesco metro.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nomoreengland

incorrect.

No one is disputing the average individual income here (which yes, for australian males, is 69k), we are questioning your numbers for the average household earnings. Also should be noted that the median individual income for SA is closer to 59k.

To put this thread into persperctive - the average income per individual is 60k per annum. For those of youin the UK, $120k per household would be average. Like any country, earning anything less than average you will always struggle, especially with 4 kids like some of you have mentioned.

Wow....i must be really struggling!!

Oh wait...no im not!! Maybe your just crap with money!

Guest fluxsta
incorrect.

Tell you what. My dad is an economist. We can set him a little project and ask him to decipher the correct figures and get back to us.

In the meantime, can we cheer up a little bit. Come on Nomoreengland. You know you want to ;-) Tell us your favourite aspects of Adelaide life. I am genuinely interested to find out your overall impresion of the place.

At the end of the day.....there is no way i could have had the sort of lifestyle that we have here....especially back in the UK.....we sharpen our pencils.....and shape our expenditure accordingly....have no big amount of savings that YOU seem to think we have.....we arrived in this beautiful country nearly 3 years ago with less than $20...but had a massive will to succeed...we hit the ground running and have never looked back...the way i look at it is whatever has gone before has gone..with the exception of friends and family back in the UK i dnt miss anything....that may sound harsh but that my reality.

I dnt compare - cos whats the point !!!!!

Dnt look back keep looking forward...

Things are different here as they always will be when you goto a different country...

HG

Guest fluxsta
At the end of the day.....there is no way i could have had the sort of lifestyle that we have here....especially back in the UK.....we sharpen our pencils.....and shape our expenditure accordingly....have no big amount of savings that YOU seem to think we have.....we arrived in this beautiful country nearly 3 years ago with less than $20...but had a massive will to succeed...we hit the ground running and have never looked back...the way i look at it is whatever has gone before has gone..with the exception of friends and family back in the UK i dnt miss anything....that may sound harsh but that my reality.

I dnt compare - cos whats the point !!!!!

Dnt look back keep looking forward...

Things are different here as they always will be when you goto a different country...

HG

Hooray! You are an inspiration to us!!

....Mind you, if we put ALL this effort into moving out to Adelaide, only to find the price of turnips out there is marginally higher, we may well go to our graves regretting the decision to emigrate... ;-)

Sorry will stop goading now... In all honesty, Adelaide is overall probably more expensive than your average town in Northern England, but nowhere near as expensive as London or the Commuter Belt. (going on the current exchange rate - )

To the OP, on that salary you're not going to afford a five bedroom mansion with a lap pool in the CBD/North Adelaide with a chauffeur driven limo and trips back to the UK every year, but you should be able to live perfectly comfortably in a nice house in a nice suburb, within walking distance of a beach, or whichever aspect of Adelaide you'd like to be close to, and with perfectly serviceable public transport to the city (well if you pick somewhere near the transport lines).

Guest Nomoreengland

I wil be doing a post soon with an honest appraisal on Adelaide.

Tell you what. My dad is an economist. We can set him a little project and ask him to decipher the correct figures and get back to us.

In the meantime, can we cheer up a little bit. Come on Nomoreengland. You know you want to ;-) Tell us your favourite aspects of Adelaide life. I am genuinely interested to find out your overall impresion of the place.

Guest Nomoreengland

Im not sure why RockDr but your obsessed with comparing everything to central London....and your wrong anyway. The only thing more expensive in London is Rent or owning property. Day to day costs such as food and drink are cheaper than Adelaide.

In anycase, the OP is not from London so the comparison you are using is useless, Clearly owning property in a capital city in a westernised country is going to be more than Adelaide. name one thing apart from property or petrol thats you cant get cheaper in London compared to Adelaide.

Clothes are cheaper (primark), fruit and vegatables (far cheaper), alcoholic drinks, chocolate, soft drinks, flights, the list could go on...

Sorry will stop goading now... In all honesty, Adelaide is overall probably more expensive than your average town in Northern England, but nowhere near as expensive as London or the Commuter Belt. (going on the current exchange rate - )

To the OP, on that salary you're not going to afford a five bedroom mansion with a lap pool in the CBD/North Adelaide with a chauffeur driven limo and trips back to the UK every year, but you should be able to live perfectly comfortably in a nice house in a nice suburb, within walking distance of a beach, or whichever aspect of Adelaide you'd like to be close to, and with perfectly serviceable public transport to the city (well if you pick somewhere near the transport lines).

Guest fluxsta
Im not sure why RockDr but your obsessed with comparing everything to central London....and your wrong anyway. The only thing more expensive in London is Rent or owning property. Day to day costs such as food and drink are cheaper than Adelaide.

In anycase, the OP is not from London so the comparison you are using is useless, Clearly owning property in a capital city in a westernised country is going to be more than Adelaide. name one thing apart from property or petrol thats you cant get cheaper in London compared to Adelaide.

Clothes are cheaper (primark), fruit and vegatables (far cheaper), alcoholic drinks, chocolate, soft drinks, flights, the list could go on...

....but haven't we established that the OP should survive just fine on their proposed salary. Surely the rest is academic........?????

Guest kerfumph
Nomoreengland: name one thing apart from property or petrol thats you cant get cheaper in London compared to Adelaide.

cars, water,building materials,public transport,solar panels,rates,swimming pools, spas,air conditioning,land,yada yada yada. You're boring me moreen.:SLEEP:

My point is that you can't compare a city with an entire country, things cost different amounts in different places within a country. You need to be more specific about what you are comparing.

One thing you can't get cheaper in London compared to Adelaide? let's see, car parking? for that matter, entering the city centre in a car, last time I checked Adelaide doesn't have a congestion charge.

Also, given that rent/mortgage take up a far larger proportion of your salary than food and drink, ignoring them completely and then saying that one place is more expensive than another based on the price of a cauliflower is not the most logical thing in the world.

Personally I've not noticed a huge difference in prices for similar quality clothes between the UK and Australia. Shoes, yes, but not so much the clothes.

Incidentally and completely unrelated to the current thread, if you want cheap clothes, you might want to go up a price range, it's cheaper to pay twice the price for a jumper that will still look good in five years time, than to have to buy a new primark one every year because it fell to pieces after a few washes. I gave up a long time ago buying clothes at primark, h&m etc in the UK for this reason. (obviously there are exceptions to the rule, I do still own a Tesco jumper that has lasted me since 2003 and still going strong - go figure)

Just dnt compare that the best way...if you keep comparing then the pull to go back will keep getting stronger and the seed of doubt will start to grow.

And anything that goes slightly wrong will be blown out of all proportion......

We have had issues whilst we have been here bloody big ones at that....but were still here kicking, fighting and a screaming..lol

HG

im sorry but why exactly are you here then? Pray do tell?

Im a single parent and i manage perfectly well, save a bit and have a farbetter lifestyle here in my 3 bed detached house with views of the sea on one side and over the fields of moana to the onky hills on the other. If i went back to manchester id be in a two by two terrace with no view and sod all for my son to do. Bloody hell why do people come here expecting their life will be one of no work and all play, you cant pick a life of 30 yrs in uk up and move it lock stock to other side of world, it takes comitment and hard work, research and time. I wasnt struck when i first got here but bloody hell wake up and smell the coffee mate. So what if its cheaper or not who cares make a life or dont , life isnt all about stuff you know, quality of life iswhat you make it.

Merry christmas lol

Guest The Steeles In Adelaide
It's the same old story, you could always do with a bit more. It is difficult to say what salary you need to live on, the best way to look at it is to find jobs and live within your combined salary. But don't be under any illusions the cost of living is HIGH. Day to day food items, second hand cars, rent, utilities (electric to rise by 12% soon with more increases on the way, water will follow once the desalination plant is up and running). You just have to make do with what you've got.

Hi I thought the whole idea of the desal plant was to bring the cost of water down!!!!!!! as they will be pumping straight from the sea, dont know where the idea of water prices going up came from???

Dave

Guest Nomoreengland

In respone to your little rant, not once have I said that I expected to come here and not work, and not once have I ever suggested that I personally was hard up. Neither have I said I dont like it here. neiither have I said that I dont like it in the UK either.

The reason I said it was cheaper in the Uk is to point out you need to earn more money over here to afford to do things. The OP was asking what a reasonable wage was over here; I simply stated you need to probably earn at least the average, chich is $60k per annum (per person) and illustrated this by pointing out the expense here.

There are too many people on here who kid themselves and give unrealistic views.

im sorry but why exactly are you here then? Pray do tell?

Im a single parent and i manage perfectly well, save a bit and have a farbetter lifestyle here in my 3 bed detached house with views of the sea on one side and over the fields of moana to the onky hills on the other. If i went back to manchester id be in a two by two terrace with no view and sod all for my son to do. Bloody hell why do people come here expecting their life will be one of no work and all play, you cant pick a life of 30 yrs in uk up and move it lock stock to other side of world, it takes comitment and hard work, research and time. I wasnt struck when i first got here but bloody hell wake up and smell the coffee mate. So what if its cheaper or not who cares make a life or dont , life isnt all about stuff you know, quality of life iswhat you make it.

Merry christmas lol

Guest Guest75
Hi I thought the whole idea of the desal plant was to bring the cost of water down!!!!!!! as they will be pumping straight from the sea, dont know where the idea of water prices going up came from???

Dave

We have to pay back the millions it cost to build!

(unless you are on rain and bore water ;))

Guest Guest75
In respone to your little rant, not once have I said that I expected to come here and not ork, and not once have I ever suggested that I personally was hard up. Neither have I said I dont like it here. neiither have I said that I dont like it in the UK either.

The reason I said it was cheaper in the Uk is to point out you need to earn more money over here to afford to do things. The OP was asking what a reasonable wage was over here; I simply stated you need to probably earn at least the average, chich is $60k per annum (per person) and illustrated this by pointing out the expense here.

There are too many people on here who kid themselves and give unrealistic views.

I thinkl Clare gave a very realistic view and not a rant NME.

She is a long time and respected poster - been through more of her fair share of poo and come out better than ever.

She is an example to all here and her words are true.

I too wonder why you are here??

Perhaps it's the only place you could get a visa for??

Some of us actually choose to live here and love it unequivocally.

Thread locked.

Yet again, please remember it is the season of good will................ to almost all;)

:santa3::santa1::snow: