Flood Levy

Guest Guest5035

Guest katsmajic

After chatting with aussies and getting their take, they dont like it either but are accepting as they know the money has to come form somewhere and say at least the gov are being up front with the levy not just raising taxes without saying why...

if you look at the facts, over $55k pay 48cents pw, and it goes up on a sliding scale - it comes out of your tax return so you never had the money anyway, and the majority of us never received tax back in the uk, getting tax back here is a massive bonus imo, you all happily took the incentive grants - another bad idea imo but dont want to put back in.

I hope the gov keep it on as a permenent levy as it many of you have said, australia is prone to disasters.

Again just my opinion, and im allowed one.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kangomik

getting tax back here is a massive bonus imo, you all happily took the incentive grants - another bad idea imo but dont want to put back in.

Hang on there missy:realmad:, your not speaking for me in the "all happily" part. I had concerns and cannot remember if i voiced them on a forum but certainly did with people i met, so please don't include me in that statement for a start, any many others i know. hence the comment about fuel going up at the same time, a little like it drops when there is an election!:goofy:

You pay higher tax here than in the UK:skeptical:, IMO, and yes it is great to get something back, IF you fill your tax returns out correctly, or indeed are due money back. You may find that the longer you stay the less you can claim back depending on what occupation you have.:GEEK:

Guest kerfumph

And too add, most companies actually, I know mine does,over-taxes you throughout the year. It is not a bonus as it yours!

Anyhoo it's kicking off in Canberra about it so it will probably not happen.

Guest Tterrier81

well whether any of u agree with it or not doesnt matter cos u have to pay it, its not optional!!!

i would like to thank australia for lettin me live here and if it might cost me a little bit more tax then so be it! and if i had any problems with the place then i'd go back to where i came from

Guest kangomik

TT your funny:biglaugh:

Of course they let you live here, they charged you to come. (it's a business)

If it was just a few on a forum kicking off about the tax i could possibly sympathise, but seeing as many in this land are not happy with this tax, hence the news reports today. Why don't you pay the tax for everyone, then you would be happy, and the country would be over the moon, (sorry couldn't spelll ecstatic)

I think you will find ( explained once again) that no one minds helping, or indeed minded helped, out QLD. The question is should normal joe bloggs be slugged even more when there are other ways of raising this money, albeit not great for politicians, but better for the people that live in Australia.

People have good points concerning money raised for people (and accomadation) who did not pay to come into the country, or did not pay the government to come in. It would have been cheaper for these people to pay, come through the correct channels and arrive on a safer mode of transport.

Could you tell me why Adelaide now has to suffer improvements to it's infrastructure to now aid other states.

We pay a levy on water for other states to take it and watch SA farmers struggle already, why pay another to watch our farmers struggle and other's do OK from the water they love to stock pile.

I think that's my last post on the merry go round. It's been fun:jiggy:

Guest guest3462
After chatting with aussies and getting their take, they dont like it either but are accepting as they know the money has to come form somewhere and say at least the gov are being up front with the levy not just raising taxes without saying why...

if you look at the facts, over $55k pay 48cents pw, and it goes up on a sliding scale - it comes out of your tax return so you never had the money anyway, and the majority of us never received tax back in the uk, getting tax back here is a massive bonus imo, you all happily took the incentive grants - another bad idea imo but dont want to put back in.

I hope the gov keep it on as a permenent levy as it many of you have said, australia is prone to disasters.

Again just my opinion, and im allowed one.

we recieved nothing when the government incentives were doled out and we recieve no benefit at all from centrelink or the goverent. We do however pay all our taxes and bills on time and contribute to Australian society as if we were Aussie citizens. Our fee would be a minimum of $6 a week which actually is a bloody lot of money to lose. Please do not try to say that we "should" be managing on our incomes as you know nothing of our personal circumstances but believe me it is enough to hit where it hurts hen it is taken away. As said before, it isn't the fact that we don't want to help nor as tterrier pointed out that if we were disgruntled we should go back (which I think again is a ridiculous comment) it is that we are being enforced. Anyway enough said on this thread now as it seems to fall on deaf ears the point which is trying p be raised.

Guest Guest5035

i'm one of the lucky ones, which ever way you look at it, i have to pay just under $5 a week, plus the extra for my fruit and veg rises, as if they aren't enough now, so can i have my donation back that i made in the first place.

stevo

what I would like to know is how they decide what is a mid/high income earner? We (well I) fall into that bracket and wouldn't be so annoyed about having to pay if I had the money to spare, the fact that I am in that bracket makes me laugh, if I was a high income earner I would be able to get a mortgage and be living in my own home but I can't get a mortgage coz I don't earn enough!!! Where's the logic in that????

Guest paddyhaha

with 5 children and trying (unsuccessfully) to save for a house the extra money (and to us it is not a little amount) to pay for a levy will be a struggle.

I am amazed at the number of people and there lack of compassion for the folk of QLD who really have a need for help and finacial support. i only hope that the people all who cannot afford 5 dollars :huh:remember that the tax allowence recieved is a bonus and not a weekley wage so dont buy that bottle of wine or an extra slab of beer and the $5 WILL BE SEEN TO WITHOUT EFFECT TO YOUR HOUSRHOLD BUDGET:jiggy:

Guest katsmajic

Over it - rightly or wrongly the government MAY be putting a levy on us all to help with the rebuilding of australias main food supplier for the country, for the future of the country....

i cannot comprehend how people would not wish to assist.

mortgage - trakki, were not high income earners and here they take into account your kids when looking at loans - if our big kids were at home we wouldnt have got a mortgage.

Julia - arent you trying to get the baby bonus?

im not digging, seriously, i just cant believe how people are reacting to this levy...

Guest paddyhaha
Over it - rightly or wrongly the government MAY be putting a levy on us all to help with the rebuilding of australias main food supplier for the country, for the future of the country....

i cannot comprehend how people would not wish to assist.

mortgage - trakki, were not high income earners and here they take into account your kids when looking at loans - if our big kids were at home we wouldnt have got a mortgage.

Julia - arent you trying to get the baby bonus?

im not digging, seriously, i just cant believe how people are reacting to this levy...

i agree so much with this point of yours and i wish people could see the good in the levy like cheap home grown fruit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:arghh:

Guest katsmajic

I am amazed at the number of people and there lack of compassion for the folk of QLD who really have a need for help and finacial support. i only hope that the people all who cannot afford 5 dollars :huh:remember that the tax allowence recieved is a bonus and not a weekley wage so dont buy that bottle of wine or an extra slab of beer and the $5 WILL BE SEEN TO WITHOUT EFFECT TO YOUR HOUSRHOLD BUDGET:jiggy:

hallelujah, some one on my wave length

we're only going to be paying the minimum as we are NOT high earners and i dont begrudge it a bit!

Ive lived through ****ty floods in cheltenham uk, which was hell, yet nothing like queensland....maybe im more sympathetic to people and their devastation.

Im wondering if the cricket team are going to withdraw their offer donating their match fees this week as theyre going to be paying extra tax at the end of the year??? :arghh:

Should have come on a Boat, you'd get the lot.;)

Stevo

Hang on Steve the handouts are going out to Aussies as well as boat arrivals. Friends have just returned from hols on Fraser Island and just because they were delayed by one day on their return they were given an ex-gratia payment from Centerlink for $2,800 ($1000per adult and $400 per child) it almost paid for their travels.

If the govenment can't get it right with their Centerlink Staff handing over needed funds to anyone no matter how effected then what do you expect of any Labor Government initiative. Bring back Howard and Costello I say, at least they stopped the boats and had us in surplus which these days would probably mean no new taxes would be neccessary for funding emergency rebuilding programs.

Guest paddyhaha

hallelujah, some one on my wave length

we're only going to be paying the minimum as we are NOT high earners and i dont begrudge it a bit!

Ive lived through ****ty floods in cheltenham uk, which was hell, yet nothing like queensland....maybe im more sympathetic to people and their devastation.

Im wondering if the cricket team are going to withdraw their offer donating their match fees this week as theyre going to be paying extra tax at the end of the year??? :arghh:

if people are really that badly off maybe they should seek assitance on here i will start the bidding at 50cents and for those still on old money it's about 35pence:SLEEP:

:arghh:

Have just read all the responses so far and am amazed. The government has managed to keep Australia ticking over financially when world wide chaos has ensued and then disaster strikes. Yes it is fair to say that it is a country where extreme incidents happen on a fairly regular basis, but many, many people choose to live in areas that are potentially tricky (as I do by living in a bush fire risk area.) Indeed there are few places in this wonderful country that are without some sort of risk. That's just the way people are.

The way I see it (and we will be eligible to pay the levy), I haven't lived in this country long and so haven't had to contribute very much yet, therefore if called on to make a relevant contribution I will do it no questions asked. We have not long come through the initial period where we received nothing from the government, but then why should we have got anything - it was our choice to come here and we had to plan for that and work and budget accordingly.

Many of you have had handouts of all kinds from this country and yet you begrudge giving anything back no matter whether it's for roads or services or anything else - we are all one country after all.

How many of you commenting on the 'boat people' know anything about their circumstances? How rich for immigrants to judge themselves better than other immigrants. Some people have just had the luck to be born into circumstances that enabled them to decide to emigrate - others were forced to flee. Compassion for their plight would be more appropriate.

I have always admired the way members on this site help each other and offer advice and support, it's time now to put your money where your mouth is - and I say this in a month where it seems that for every dollar coming in at least two are going out: school fees, rego,broken car etc.. but I hope I keep it all in perspective.

Guest Guest5035
Bring back Howard and Costello I say, at least they stopped the boats and had us in surplus which these days would probably mean no new taxes would be neccessary for funding emergency rebuilding programs.

Exactly my point

stevo

Guest Guest75
Exactly my point

stevo

We both agree on something Steve.

The Howard Costello govt was one of the reasons we moved here in 2000.

Stable / boring politics but not afraid to speak their minds + a huge national surplus!

Guest Guest5035
We both agree on something Steve.

The Howard Costello govt was one of the reasons we moved here in 2000.

Stable / boring politics but not afraid to speak their minds + a huge national surplus!

OMG i'm off to the Doctors, a Mod that AGREES with me, have you been out in the sun Tyke??

Stevo

Sorry, but for middle high earners on temp resident visa, with 3 kids and another on the way, we have paid huge amounts of tax for 3 years, without getting a cent back from the gov as we were temp res. We knew the situation when we arrived, and we have never moaned about it, but this is just another slp in face. I'm not saying everyone on here has worked hard throughout there lives, but why should i be penalised for earning good money? I have spent almost half my life for the last 14 years away from my wife and family to be able to get on and earn what i earn, now i get told that something that the narrow minded goverment should hav forseen, is going to cost me around 40-50 dollars PER MONTH!!! Yet they still decide to go ahead with the NBN and push through getting budget back into surplus by 2013, so that Julia can spew out that she did all this in the next election!!

Australia is still playing catch up with the rest of the civilised world in many ways. Lack of spending, investment & ongoing modernisation of infrastructure by previous governments and a lack of foresight means there is lots to do with the tax revenues. Everyone complains about the state of things but also complain about taxes. You can't have it both ways. When the government does try & do something with forward thinking. eg NBN, thats wrong too. As already pointed out on here, Australia has managed to avoid the worst of the GFC, partly by government actions, but this has cost lots of money to do. Nobody complained about that. We all have limited funds, and we choose what to do with those funds. Tax rates will always vary, and the levy is just that. A variable. We have to make adjustments to our budgets constantly as prices of goods & services vary month to month & if you really can't cope with a couple of dollars a week extra in tax, you really are in deep doo doo. Food, fuel & mortgage rates will all be going up in the coming months too. Maybe it's a wake up call for some that they need to reassess their outgoings. For me the levy is a coffee a week. I like my coffee but I will have to cut down.

I pay lots of taxes for which I see no benefits as I don't have a busload of kids, but thats how it works. It would be great if I could get a Ferrari bond, instead of a baby bond but I can't. So whilst I am subsidising everyone elses kids, and will pay the levy, NBN, & whatever else the government decides to tax me for, its my choice to live here and to live by the system of government and democracy that allows me so much freedom, and a decent standard of living.

We are all so lucky we forget just how lucky we really are. A little sacrifice and a bit of compassion for those who need it, be they Queenslanders, homeless, boat people etc. is all that is required. Have we all really become so selfish?

Guest Guest5035
Have we all really become so selfish?

yes when i see the boaties arriving into Adelaide Airport fresh from the detention centres with their new mobile phones, after complaining about their detention and complaining about other things too, then going back to where they came from on Holiday!! Then demanding this and that so they can pray to Allah.

Also the goverment giving out $5k for a new baby to all these teenagers, which ends up on Plasmas etc etc, how about they stopped that,

stevo

Guest Guest5035
Just now and again you actually are right Steve:cute::cute:

I'm back, the doc said i had a severe case of shock:biglaugh: Whilst i was there he recommended a great fishing spot for you..........Angelakes in the central market:huh: But then again you have to pay tax on that purchase.

Would all other mods please take note of Tykes comments LOL!!

stevo

Guest Tterrier81

I pay lots of taxes for which I see no benefits as I don't have a busload of kids, but thats how it works. It would be great if I could get a Ferrari bond, instead of a baby bond but I can't. So whilst I am subsidising everyone elses kids, and will pay the levy, NBN, & whatever else the government decides to tax me for, its my choice to live here and to live by the system of government and democracy that allows me so much freedom, and a decent standard of living.

well said!!

Guest cornish Busdriver

Having just spending ages reading through all the post just thought i would put my 2 cents worth in.

When this great country issued me with my visa they didnt promice me a great job or life they just gave me the chance to make it by myself and i have.

In return for the visa all that was asked was to intergrate and accept they aussie way of life and how things are done here.

Things like the levy is how things are done here and i have no complaints in paying it, at least they are being up-front about it and not hiding it away as a stealth tax like the UK goverment does.

Now if it really is only about 0.90 cents per week what does 90 cents get you these days.

Think about it. you probally lose more than that each week down the back of the sofa, in the car or down on the beach.

I dont have kids but just like the Uk my taxes still had to pay for other peoples by the use of kiddie benifits, My taxes in the Uk were used for asylum seekers just as the same here, my taxes in the UK were used to allow scroungers to stay on the dole just like they are here.

If people stopped paying all these taxes and the goverments ditched there obigations to help, yes we would all be finaceally better off but thats not reality. Reality is that we all gotta pay and goverments have got to provide.