Flood Levy

Guest Guest5035

Wnt effect me as i am poor....unless they take both wages...then we will pay....

Just my View whats $50 a year....

HG

it will only affect my wage but $50 is a pair of shoes for one of my lot so it is actually a big deal, know it sounds silly and petty but when you have a few children $50 is a big deal and although they say its only $1 a week but they don't take it weekly, I am assuming that it will be taken at the end of the financial year!! I am not getting at anyone, just stating how I feel about it. :realmad: Rant over lol

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it will only affect my wage but $50 is a pair of shoes for one of my lot so it is actually a big deal, know it sounds silly and petty but when you have a few children $50 is a big deal and although they say its only $1 a week but they don't take it weekly, I am assuming that it will be taken at the end of the financial year!! I am not getting at anyone, just stating how I feel about it. :realmad: Rant over lol

I am sure that if the boot was on the other foot we would be asking for help and assistance....

and not want to be told tough if you were not insured then you have no home or business anymore thats just unlucky.....

HG

Guest katsmajic

Im neither for or against - but think the government should withhold the $300mil theyve offered to Indonesia or the $180mil to Vietnam...charity starts at home.

$50 taken weekly wont affect anyones budget but taking it as a chunk will upset most households incomes.

Guest guest3462

Funny though that it's only those who don't have to pay out who are in agreement of it! Tracey I said exactly the same thing about it being a pair of shoes for the kids. I will help anybody out if I can but to have it enforced then people who aren't even having to pay it jumping on board and slating those who just might find it hard to deal with the extra bill is really grating on me! Fair enough they have to get the money from somewere so why not withold international relief monies to help our own or if it must be passed onto the taxpayer make everyone make a contribution not just those who earn that bit more. Life is hard for most people not just those classed as being on lower ncomes!

Guest katsmajic

Actually we will be paying the levy - HG cant count. and we still dont object to paying it - however i still think its a stealth and it will stay in place longterm not just for a year.

Most of us here were in uk when the extra 1p was put on the nat ins contributions...didnt moan at that cos its for the countrys benefit, as is this, the countrys buggered without Queenslands contributions.

They didnt do anything like this for the Victorians though did they....

Funny though that it's only those who don't have to pay out who are in agreement of it! Tracey I said exactly the same thing about it being a pair of shoes for the kids. I will help anybody out if I can but to have it enforced then people who aren't even having to pay it jumping on board and slating those who just might find it hard to deal with the extra bill is really grating on me! Fair enough they have to get the money from somewere so why not withold international relief monies to help our own or if it must be passed onto the taxpayer make everyone make a contribution not just those who earn that bit more. Life is hard for most people not just those classed as being on lower ncomes!

yeah right.....even if i fell in the brcket of paying my views would be the very same....

they have to rebuild, to got some normailty back into the system.....

thats my bit said...not gonna get embroiled into any arguments as it could head that way....:policeman:

HG

I have to say I actually agree with Mr Katter on this. Australia is highly prone to Natural disasters, so why oh why is there not a National fund to deal with this? There should be money already in place to help rebuild disaster affected communities, whether it's a huge crisis like this one that gets lots of media coverage, or a smaller one that affects only one or two blink towns. I would have no issue with paying into this type of fund, provided the money was actually safeguarded for that use, and there was a change of policy towards building on the floodplains.

It also seems very short-sighted to me to cut funding to environmental plans and infrastructure in the rest of the country (at a time when the cities are crying out for better infrastucture) to fund the rebuild of stuff that should never have been allowed on the floodplain in the first place.

As it stands, the levy strikes me as a gimmick to balance the books so that Julia can show off in a couple of years time about having a budget surplus despite national disasters, and score some brownie points before the next election from the people who didn't have to pay the levy.

As it stands, the levy strikes me as a gimmick to balance the books so that Julia can show off in a couple of years time about having a budget surplus despite national disasters, and score some brownie points before the next election from the people who didn't have to pay the levy.

Yep, agreed.

Note the avoidance of the word 'tax', which is exactly what it is. Some people seem to think that those of us opposed to the tax are against the rebuilding of Qld - er, I haven't read anything on here that suggests this. Simply, there are more appropriate ways of paying, some safeguards/guarantees required about how the money will be spent, some acknowledgement needed of how lessons have been learnt, and less political game playing.

Another point: SA residents already have a levy, it's for the Murray - something that many others in other states who use it don't pay. Now that it's full, will this levy be halted? I'd gladly pay one or the other, but not both!

Jim

Another point: SA residents already have a levy, it's for the Murray - something that many others in other states who use it don't pay. Now that it's full, will this levy be halted? I'd gladly pay one or the other, but not both!

Jim

I dont see why the people of SA cant be exempt from this new Tax and the Murry river levy be diverted to the rebuilding of Queensland. Will they put another Levy in place for the Victorians and NSW people who have also lost everything?

Simply, there are more appropriate ways of paying, some safeguards/guarantees required about how the money will be spent, some acknowledgement needed of how lessons have been learnt, and less political game playing.

As soon as I heard Tony Abbott coming out and saying "use the NBN money" I knew the government wouldn't take that option, even though it is (IMHO) the best one - and probably was in their too up to that point. After he'd said it, if the government had adopted it, Tony would have said "oh look, no ideas of their own, they have to use mine" and he knew they wouldn't for that reason so he would have a political point to score down the line ("they taxed people rather than shelving/postponing the NBN"!)

All as bad as each other!

yeah right.....even if i fell in the brcket of paying my views would be the very same....

they have to rebuild, to got some normailty back into the system.....

thats my bit said...not gonna get embroiled into any arguments as it could head that way....:policeman:

HG

OMG Heaps Good....i am actually agreeing with you!!!!!!!!!!!!

I fall into the bracket of not having to pay....(so yes looks like i belong to the 'nothing wrong with it, as i dont have to pay' club)....but i would be happy to contribute a $1 a week....

Actually i think i might do that....put $1 away a week and donate it???

I cant help but wonder how we would feel if it was us? Surely its vital to get QLD back on its feet???

Guest katsmajic

Anyone who cannot give approx 90cents a week to help rebuild the flood devastated areas - not just queensland, australia will not recover from this without major financial input, then theres seriously something wrong with your household budgeting.

Guest guest3462

How very rude!!!!! It is wrong to suggest anyone has troubles with their household budgeting. Some families need every cent they get and yes it could make a difference to them- that is something you will never know about or have the right to know about. It's not about the giving. As afore mentioned in the thread, nobody has actually said they don't want to help and most have actually already donated to the state appeal. It is the way it will be enforced to do so when sa residents are already paying a levy for the murray.

No one has mentioned the poor souls who have lost everything in the NSW or vic floods or of those who lost everything in the bushfires at wa, Australia is always Going to suffer from natural tradgedy and the government needs to find a fair way to fund for this. Enforcng a tax or levy or whatever they want to call it to make themselves look good will onlylead to bitterness and resentment among those who do have to pay it.

We will pay of course what we are billed for as everybody does, but it would have been nice for some sort of public referendum or even to make it a compulsory tax deducatable donation from your wage- for the amount you would feel comfortable giving and claim back on your tax return.

People are not turning their noses up against the rebuilding of the qld state but protecting what they go out to work for and earn!

Guest kerfumph
nobody has actually said they don't want to help and most have actually already donated to the state appeal.

I don't. Fed up with the lies coming out of QLD.

Eg. Did you see the bit on telly about buying the 'flood damaged' fruit? Well I have dealings with woolies and through an internal memo found out that all the stores in Qld have a good supply of perfect fruit because the growing (and harvesting) season is over. They are trying to get you to buy stuff that they would normally throw away.

Why has the O'ban upgrade been cancelled when no other infastructure in any other state has (including QLD)?

Rant nearly over..

Why if rebuilding Infrastructure that is expected to last say 50 years, it it necessary to have it paid back in one year?

How very rude!!!!! It is wrong to suggest anyone has troubles with their household budgeting. Some families need every cent they get and yes it could make a difference to them- that is something you will never know about or have the right to know about. It's not about the giving. As afore mentioned in the thread, nobody has actually said they don't want to help and most have actually already donated to the state appeal. It is the way it will be enforced to do so when sa residents are already paying a levy for the murray.

No one has mentioned the poor souls who have lost everything in the NSW or vic floods or of those who lost everything in the bushfires at wa, Australia is always Going to suffer from natural tradgedy and the government needs to find a fair way to fund for this. Enforcng a tax or levy or whatever they want to call it to make themselves look good will onlylead to bitterness and resentment among those who do have to pay it.

We will pay of course what we are billed for as everybody does, but it would have been nice for some sort of public referendum or even to make it a compulsory tax deducatable donation from your wage- for the amount you would feel comfortable giving and claim back on your tax return.

People are not turning their noses up against the rebuilding of the qld state but protecting what they go out to work for and earn!

Amen to that.

Seems that the 'Queensland has to be rebuilt ...' argument just keeps being used on this thread when that's not in question; the principle of the levy (and its potential effect on those paying it) is the point.

I've said my bit; there are better options open to the gov than slapping another tax on us - delayng the NBN etc - so won't argue the point further.

Jim

Guest kangomik
How very rude!!!!! It is wrong to suggest anyone has troubles with their household budgeting.
:notworthy:

KATS your missing peoples points:daydreaming:, it has nothing to do with budgetting, it has to do with "a new tax thought up over night" and if people choose to voice their opinion against then the government will get the idea and maybe sort out other ways when more money is needed for Vic and NSW.

There are many different way's to raise this money, and Kerfumph is right, we are not getting told the whole truth.

The fruit that is damaged in the shops is nearly the same price as the good stuff. This sin't trying to sell stuff off cheap to grab some dollars back for farmers, it's taking the P**s.

I remember reading an article about the Queensland banana growers whose crops weren't damaged in the - was it a hurricane? - a while back. They made an absolute fortune by charging ten times as much for their fruit - but don't recall reading anything about them sharing the profits amongst their less fortunate colleagues.

Really don't begrudge the money at all, but it does seem very short sighted to axe a load of projects aimed at long term reduction of the risks of climate change in the interests of a short term fix to a problem that is just going to re-occur unless lessons are learnt.

The little bridge near us was broken in the floods last September - all it needed was a few planks nailed back onto it, and the council told me the cost of doing that was $8,000 - seems to me it's going to be a good time to be a tradie in Queensland in the next few months...

Guest Guest5035
Anyone who cannot give approx 90cents a week to help rebuild the flood devastated areas - not just queensland, australia will not recover from this without major financial input, then theres seriously something wrong with your household budgeting.

Why should we HAVE to donate when the goverment spend millions and millions on boaties arriving, i'd rather give a dollar a week towards stopping them coming. If you want, you can pay my $1 a week and 90% of the rest of australian people that are against it

stevo

Guest Guest5035
I'd forgotten what it was like to read the Daily Mail. Thanks for reminding me

no worries my friend i tell it like it is,, it annoys me when they can spend millions on expanding detention centres, moving them from one place to another, ie the place in the adelaide hills, but can't find the money for our own people.

stevo

I think it makes the government look like a bunch of amateurs.

It doesn't give me any confidence in their ability to manage the nation's finances or respond to changing demands on the government purse. Surely they should have some kind of reserve fund for just these types of disasters? A more sophisticated way of managing the situation would be for the government to finance the cost of rebuilding in Queensland, then raise the extra money if necessary at a later date.

Now NSW are whinging that because their cost of living is higher they shouldn't have to pay so much. This is so petty and childish it's unbelievable - especially as the sums involved are so small !!!!:arghh:

Australia is a wealthly country in the middle of a resources boom, yet it seems all the nation's money has been squandered away, a large amount of it on real estate (for example negative gearing and first time home buyers stimulus). Instead, the government should have been investing in the country's infrastructure - dams, flood defences, roads, high speed rail, renewable energy etc - not building new homes on flood plains for a quick revenue source (as has happened in Brisbane).

Why should we HAVE to donate when the goverment spend millions and millions on boaties arriving, i'd rather give a dollar a week towards stopping them coming. If you want, you can pay my $1 a week and 90% of the rest of australian people that are against it

stevo

You should have been at the Rhino Rooms last night Stevo - to paraphrase one of the comedians "brown people on a boat = bad, white boat person = awarded Australian of the year!"

Guest kangomik
I think it makes the government look like a bunch of amateurs.

It doesn't give me any confidence in their ability to manage the nation's finances or respond to changing demands on the government purse. Surely they should have some kind of reserve fund for just these types of disasters? A more sophisticated way of managing the situation would be for the government to finance the cost of rebuilding in Queensland, then raise the extra money if necessary at a later date.

Now NSW are whinging that because their cost of living is higher they shouldn't have to pay so much. This is so petty and childish it's unbelievable - especially as the sums involved are so small !!!!:arghh:

Australia is a wealthly country in the middle of a resources boom, yet it seems all the nation's money has been squandered away, a large amount of it on real estate (for example negative gearing and first time home buyers stimulus). Instead, the government should have been investing in the country's infrastructure - dams, flood defences, roads, high speed rail, renewable energy etc - not building new homes on flood plains for a quick revenue source (as has happened in Brisbane).

:notworthy::notworthy:Excellent:notworthy::notworthy:

The next ellection will be won on peoples memory.