Finding a job as a new migrant

Guest mercury

Guest mercury
Yes, regrettably the political correctness disease will come in time.... the price of progress!:sad: I guess all of us who found it to be taking over far too much in Britain will then have to look elsewhere for a "behind the times" place to move to!

I think some form of prejudice (or racism) is a part of animal nature - for instance, my dog absolutely hates little white fluffy dogs: doesn't have any reason for it, just dislikes them on sight! And she's an intelligent animal in all other ways...

The most important thing in my mind is to treat others as you would like to be treated yourself - so if you don't like people being racist, Mercury, please try not to judge all Australians and categorise them in the same way, or I'm afraid you're tarring yourself with the racist brush just as much. Yes, some may be racist, yes, some might be prejudiced, but the evidence and statistical probability would prohibit that being true of all, surely, as you seem to be implying? Show me a place that's utopia and I'll be on the next plane.

Diane,

I am confused -when you say that racism is part of animal nature. Does that mean we should stop trying to eradicate it? That is why laws have been passed to deal with this issue.

I am not judging all Australians. I just want the bigoted ones to be more welcoming to people who do not look like them These are human beings to with dreams, ambitions, goals etc. just like you and me. After all, most of them have applied for visas through the proper channels and did not force themselves in (like a certain first fleet on these shores). If they Aussies (or a substantial number of them) only prefer people from certain parts of the world, then they can pass a law to that effect. As it stands, some migrants are getting a raw deal. Just pass the law-last time I checked, prospective migrants can't vote.

Lastly, it looks like anytime oppressed ethnic minorities raise discrimination issues, they are accused of trying to push the political correctness button. Let us stick to the facts. We all have a right to be on this planet. If we choose to be Aussie, we should be equal before the law and we should have equal access to the resources and opportunities this country has to offer. As it stands, some groups seem to have this incredible sense of entitlement. As you say, the golden rule is "treat others as you would like to be treated".

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mercury
I shouldn't respond, I really know I shouldn't, but ...

For some reason you chose to ask me (groan, why me?) if I've ever had to change my name, so I'll take the question literally (from anyone else I'd view it as rhetorical, but I doubt that's the case here). No I haven't. If I were ever to consider moving to a place where my name/background might be a drawback to me getting a job (regardless of the rights or wrongs of the matter) then this would be something I'd factor into my decision making; I wouldn't arrive there and be 'surprised' at what I found.

Incidentally, it's not only when coming to a different country that some people modify their names because of work: when you ring Telstra or some such place and get put through to the Bangalore call centre and are greeted merrily by someone called Bob, or Fred or Gladys or Betty, you don't think that's their real name do you? :eek:

Jim

If this is your line of thought and if the majority of people in Australia think like you, I pity the Aborigines and any other minority in the country. What I have quoted above is evidence of racism -pure and simple. Why should I have to Anglicize my name if I am qualified for the job. Does the fact that someone does not have an English name somehow make that person tainted (or place someone in the "handle with care" category?) Especially in a country that prides itself on being multicultural and that claims to give everyone a fair go? Did the Australians who came here from Europe "Aboriginize" their names? Talk of double standards!

Interesting thread, i work in health care and personally haven't been on the recieving end of the racism that is rife in Australia, Healthcare is very multicultural without a doubt, One of my collegues is a Dental Surgeon in India, yet arriving in Australia couldn't get near the Dental Association, she retrained and a nurse and after only 18 months of qualifying is a care manager. Working in aged care it is very apparent that the inequalities that exist for migrants, Most health related qualifications (and lots of others) from middle eastern countries mean absolutly nothing to the Australian system, we have Health care assistants that have Master degrees in Teaching, Nursing, Allied Health, etc we have a doctor from the middle east who has worked as a PCA whilst (re)studying medicine.... all of whom have to go back to Uni for at least 2 years (getting 12 months off for APL's) It really is a complete waste of resources- But it is a money spinner- international student fees.... yes i can see why this isn't addressed.

I've witnessed clients refusing care from non caucasion staff memebers just because they're not 'white', families will ask for reassurance that they're mum/dad will only be cared for by caucasion staff memebers. Thankfully the organisation i work for does not buy into this and support their staff in retraining even though that often means we loose them to their chosen field. Another point to consider in health care is that Aussies dont want to work in Aged Care, the pays crap and it's often completely thankless

• 2 weeks later...
Guest purplerdt77
I think you get all sorts of people from all walks of life in all sorts of places.

From an outside perspective looking at this post it seems like its a pasionate point for you but if im honest put across in a slightly racist way in itself. (You are basically saying most Aussies are racist).

Although you may well have a point to a certain extent there are plenty of European migrants that find it just as hard to find employment aswell. I dont think you can stereotype any large population.

Hi I see that you are an electrician would be interested to talk as we have just lodged our 176 skilled visa and my husband is an electrician, it would be good to talk to someone in the same position, thanks Sarah

Guest WhatNow?

A point no-one seems to have made here yet is the importance of the migrants' own attitude in the success or failure of getting a job and settling happily in a new place. If you came here expecting to be treated like an 'Australian' and felt you were being discriminated against because you weren't, it would be easy to become bitter. On the other hand if you came here and expected to be treated like a visitor from another country, then maybe your attitude would be different.

This world (let alone this country) owes no-one a living - least of all someone who chose to come here rather than stay in the country of their birth or upbringing. Distrust of someone from a different background is a natural human trait and anyone pretending they don't practice this at some level is not being honest. Racism is an extreme form of expression of this trait but what about wanting to go out on 'meet-ups' with people from a similar background? Isn't this the other end of the same spectrum? I'm not saying any of this is 'wrong' or 'right' - just basic human nature and you have to learn to deal with it. OK you can try to change it too if you have the desire or the energy, but I suggest behaving with humility and getting stuck into some hard work - even if it's doing something you might normally consider 'beneath you' - would earn you a deal more respect from your adopted country - wherever that may be - than whingeing on about discrimination.

I believe that if you factor human nature into your expectations about what living in a 'different' country is going to be like you will be more realistic in your approach.

As a matter of interest, I was at a cultural diversity seminar the other day and subjected to 2 hours of the 'party line' about NOT shortening or changing people's name to make them easier to pronounce, making an effort to learn about the different cultures of workmates etc etc. The two people running the seminar were Polish and Italian in background. Around the table of 7 attendees, there were 2 'Australians' - born here - a Greek, a Serb, a Korean, a German, a Brit (me). Surreal experience considering I used to work at a college in the West Midlands where I was in the cultural minority of both staff and students and could probably write the book about 'cultural diversity'. LOL!

Guest mercury
A point no-one seems to have made here yet is the importance of the migrants' own attitude in the success or failure of getting a job and settling happily in a new place. If you came here expecting to be treated like an 'Australian' and felt you were being discriminated against because you weren't, it would be easy to become bitter. On the other hand if you came here and expected to be treated like a visitor from another country, then maybe your attitude would be different.

This world (let alone this country) owes no-one a living - least of all someone who chose to come here rather than stay in the country of their birth or upbringing. Distrust of someone from a different background is a natural human trait and anyone pretending they don't practice this at some level is not being honest. Racism is an extreme form of expression of this trait but what about wanting to go out on 'meet-ups' with people from a similar background? Isn't this the other end of the same spectrum? I'm not saying any of this is 'wrong' or 'right' - just basic human nature and you have to learn to deal with it. OK you can try to change it too if you have the desire or the energy, but I suggest behaving with humility and getting stuck into some hard work - even if it's doing something you might normally consider 'beneath you' - would earn you a deal more respect from your adopted country - wherever that may be - than whingeing on about discrimination.

I believe that if you factor human nature into your expectations about what living in a 'different' country is going to be like you will be more realistic in your approach.

As a matter of interest, I was at a cultural diversity seminar the other day and subjected to 2 hours of the 'party line' about NOT shortening or changing people's name to make them easier to pronounce, making an effort to learn about the different cultures of workmates etc etc. The two people running the seminar were Polish and Italian in background. Around the table of 7 attendees, there were 2 'Australians' - born here - a Greek, a Serb, a Korean, a German, a Brit (me). Surreal experience considering I used to work at a college in the West Midlands where I was in the cultural minority of both staff and students and could probably write the book about 'cultural diversity'. LOL!

It takes 2 to tango. The Australians should be welcoming too (or cut off immigration from certain countries if they so wish). If you have the attitude that the migrants should adapt without Australians making an effort, the migrants will form ghettos and refuse to adapt. It is called rebellion.:idea: