The great snake debate - the truth please!

Guest guest8040

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Squareman

LOL - that's the spirit!

In all seriousness, we have been here 5 months and I have not seen a single redback or white-tail spider (the dangerous ones). However, we have seen literally hundreds of other kinds of spiders, which is not a good thing for Lesley. She'll have to get some help in trying to overcome her fears because if she is as petrified as she says she is, its could make emigration unnecessarily challenging. My wife is terrified of spiders too, and for many, there is no changing this. The trick is not to let it affect you to the point at which you are genuinely unhappy with life. I hope this isn't the case with you, or Lesley.

Guest guest8040

I think I can cope as long as I'm not bumping into snakes on a daily basis and the thought of one in the house does freak me out but it seems its a rare occurrence. Thankfully for me spiders do not bother me apart from the nasty ones who would just get size 8 treatment so there is no chance of a bite (shame you can't do this to snakes!).

Guest beth

ok, so i need the truth on spiders too. I get mixed responses from people on other forums. I have a serious phobia and wont make the move if i cant handle it!

People say if you spray your house you wont get them in?

You helped me on the snake issue but now i feel as though i will see spiders fairly regulary. I am not even sure if i can see one at all! So how often do you see them in the burbs?

Thanks

Guest Squareman

You'll probably see a spider just about every day if you look for them. If you have a garden, or some sort if outdoor structure like a pergola, then its pretty much guaranteed that you will get them. Its a 'tropical' place, as opposes to the uk, so bugs and beasties are all part of it. I dont mind snakes and spiders. My biggest gripe is the flies in summer. They dive bomb straight up your nose and just wont go away no matter how much you try to swat them!!!

Guest The Standalofts

Right after reading all this I have booked the hypnotherapist for Friday! She says two sessions should work - if she can cure me in 2hrs then I am booking her to see if she can stop me eating like a pig!! :biglaugh:

Lesley

Guest lastboyscout

Its not the spiders or snakes you should be worrying about, its the crocodiles walking down the street you should be wary of :biglaugh:

And whatever you do, don`t go to the outback......... the dinosaurs will get ya :biglaugh:

Guest Squareman

I said the same thing about blood thirsty dingoes roaming the streets and there was an uproar on here! The board's resident drama-loving thickos were going 'no there isnt!

Dont listen to him!'

Just wait guys, wont be long before some saddo comes on and says 'you really shouldnt be saying stuff like this....whinge whinge whinge' LOL

Guest Guest75

No one has mentioned those savage Drop Bears yet,nasty little bugga's they are:shocked:

Yep - I have actually been chased by a very bad tempered Koala I tried to get out of our wood shed,which my Aussie mates take great delight in reminding me of.

Boy can they move when they really want to............:shocked:

Image084.jpg

Image083.jpg

ok, so i need the truth on spiders too. I get mixed responses from people on other forums. I have a serious phobia and wont make the move if i cant handle it!

People say if you spray your house you wont get them in?

You helped me on the snake issue but now i feel as though i will see spiders fairly regulary. I am not even sure if i can see one at all! So how often do you see them in the burbs?

Thanks

You'll get mixed responses on every forum! Some people don't notice spiders, others do, but every place has them. Spraying keeps numbers down but doesn't necessarily mean you won't see them. Fit, healthy spiders are often hidden away, but dying ones come out in the open ...

Before having our house built we stayed in two rentals and there were whitetips and redbacks in both (well, out on the patio more than in the house, but they were there), and we mentioned it once to some friends when we were round at theirs for coffee. They said that they never got spiders. Meanwhile, Thomas, who was about three at the time, was playing with a ball and it rolled under a cupboard. I went to retrieve it and there, under the shelf, was a big juicy redback. I grabbed the ball and thought it best not to mention their lodger! To this day they probably think they don't get spiders ...

Lots of people are scared of spiders but it doesn't stop them from living a perfectly normal life here. On the other hand, if I had a 'serious phobia' about them, in the strict medical sense, then moving here would be a dilemma because they're just about unavoidable.

Jim

Guest Squareman

I also suspect that some people exaggerate their phobias to a higher level of significance.

I arrived at a fancy dress party once with a rubber-snake draped around my neck (I was supposed to be Steve Irwin) and the woman doing the catering totally freaked out - running out the door and half way down the bloody street screaming like a banshee!

Her husband came over to me and asked me to dump the snake as his wife was so scared of snakes that even the sight of a rubber snake 'might make her faint.' Not wanting to cause any trouble, I obliged, but later in the evening I approached the woman and asked her about the history of her phobia. Now, I only did Pschology 1 and 2 as subjects at varsity so I'm no professional shrink, but when she told me she hadn't ever even seen a real snake in her life, and that her phobia wasn't based in some or other traumatic experience, I knew she was just a big drama queen. A phobia with no real grounding is highly unlikely to result in a psychological reaction like fainting.

I have the deepest sympathy for someone with a genuine fear of spiders (or anything else for that matter), but I think these people are in the minority. The rest will just have to get used to climbing on a chair every now and again, like my wife! LOL

Guest Guest5035
I said the same thing about blood thirsty dingoes roaming the streets and there was an uproar on here! The board's resident drama-loving thickos were going 'no there isnt!

Dont listen to him!'

Just wait guys, wont be long before some saddo comes on and says 'you really shouldnt be saying stuff like this....whinge whinge whinge' LOL

I've got 2 brown snakes in my garden, they act as guards against the roaming dingoes here in suburbia!!:biglaugh::biglaugh:

stevo