ACS Skills Assessment - how long?

Guest MarK Jowett

Guest DingDangDoo
DingDangDoo - you are the eternal procrastinator. :)

As i've told you in other threads, you wouldn't get past ACS this year as you don't have the 2 years minimum experience!

The truth about next year is - nobody knows what will happen! It's in the lap of the Ozzie immigration gods.

haha i know, would i get away with supplying 1 yr and 6 months documentation? :-)

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MarK Jowett

no mate, I really don't. My documents haven't been received yet. There was the hope that as soon as you apply that you ring-fence a place but I recall someone else a few months back failing whilst his app was in and his occupation went off list. On saying that, his occupation did go back up to HIGH soon after so who knows. But I doubt it.

Ah well, out of disaster comes opportunity. Just got to work out what that is now!

It's a good point Mark, my wife and I were chatting a lot about it this morning - mixed feelings really. I mean, we don't have a bad life in Devon, and my job is good....but, I dunno, we really want to do it, get out of our comfort zone and have a fresh start, live our lives if you see what I mean.

Not giving up, not yet.

And big thumbs up for Chris! Well done!

Sorry to hear about you going off-list, Mark. We had the same issue when Software Engineer went off, and we hadn't even submitted our SS application yet. It's very disheartening.

Do you have enough points without the sponsorship to apply for a 175? Or could you ask ACS to assess you in a slightly different field? We're pursuing the latter at the moment. Not sure how successful we'll be.

Guest MarK Jowett

I didn't think Systems Administrator was on the 175 list? I have 85 points in total - so could afford to lose the 5 for the sponsorship - i will have to have a look.

Thanks for your concern though. Lot of hurt in this thread today.

Just had a look at the SOL. Systems Analyst is on the list. Is there much of a difference between a Systems Administrator and a Systems Analyst? (Sorry - bit clueless about IT as it's my husband who is applying as the IT bod.) If there is sufficient overlap between the two positions, perhaps you can apply for a PASA review to ACS and have them assess you as a Systems Analyst instead? It's still high availability on SA SMP today.

http://www.acs.org.au/public/ska/docs/ACSSkillsAssessmentOccupationCodes_2011V4_tasksGSM_RGJuly2011.pdf

Here's the definition of a Systems Analyst according to ACS. Not sure if it helps you or not.

261112 SYSTEMS ANALYST

Evaluates processes and methods used in existing ICT systems, proposes modifications, additional system components or new systems to meet user needs as expressed in specifications and other documentation.

Tasks Include:

 working with users to formulate and document business requirements

 identifying, investigating, and analysing business processes, procedures and work practices

 identifying and evaluating inefficiencies and recommending optimal business practices, and system functionality and behaviour

 using project management methodologies, principles and techniques to develop project plans and to cost, resource and manage projects

 taking responsibility for deploying functional solutions, such as creating, adopting and implementing system test plans, which ensure acceptable quality and integrity of the system

 creating user and training documentation, and conducting formal training classes

 developing functional specifications for use by system developers

 using data and process modelling techniques to create clear system specifications for the design and development of system software

 acting as a central reference and information source, providing guidance and assistance in the system project decision making process

Example of units undertaken in higher education qualifications:

Process Modelling, System Testing, Systems Analysis and Design, Data Base Design and Implementation, eCommerce Technology, ICT Project, Data Mining, Project Management, Object Oriented Systems Analysis and Design, Requirements Analysis, Knowledge Management, ERP, Systems Architecture, Enterprise Systems.

Example knowledge and technical requirements:

SQL

Visual Basic, C++ and Java

Unified Modelling Language (UML)

SAP business software applications

Vendor/vendor-neutral qualifications appropriate to this occupation:

(this is not an essential or exhaustive list: please refer to guidelines for eligibility)

Microsoft Certified Application Developer (MCSD)

Professional qualifications we might expect in the career:

ACS Certified Technologist

ACS Certified Professional

Capabilities that we might expect in this role:

Systems design

Database/repository designs

Solutions architecture

Consultancy

If not this, then you could check out Database Administrator and Network Administrator, maybe???

Useful info, thanks! It's quite different from what I have experience with so unlikely for me. Bit stumped at the moment really, it's like I've jumped the first hurdle only to find a pit of crocs on the other side....

I think I can only hope they might release more places, or as Mark said, some people drop out.

Hi Zebedee,

Didn't realise you were affected in the same way as Mark. Bad luck! I hope you can find a solution somehow.

My parents live near Newton Abbot, by the way! On the plus side, at least you are in a nice part of England so, even if it does take more time to realise your dream and get to Oz, at least you're in pleasant surroundings in the meantime.

Good luck!

Thanks Oidara, yeah, pretty much in the same boat as Mark. Yeah - we do like where we live, Newton is generally quite a nice town to live in, just wish the weather was a bit more reliable sometimes! It's one of the things we've talked about though, as moving to Oz most likely means living in a city which would be a far cry from our current surroundings.

It was never gonna happen overnight anyway, so prepared to play the waiting game for awhile.

Well, it sounds like you're not too impatient to get there, so hopefully something will work out for you. Or maybe in the meantime you'll decide sunny Devon isn't so bad after all...know what you mean about the weather there, mind you! Good luck with whatever you decide.

Gone kinda quiet around here today......I've booked my IELTS test in still....holding on to hope. What a nightmare though - trying to get a date is crazy, no wonder most people have done it up front. The best I can do is a possible general at Bangor Uni next Sat, or an Academic one at Bath Uni the following Sat.

On a positive note, it's Friday! Have a good weekend, wherever you are.

Hi Zebedee,

My husband is booked for IELTS general next Saturday. He'll be taking his in Slovenia as this is where we're based. Will be interesting to see how it works out!

I don't know if you check the other thread - the SS tracker one - but Adelaide_OK mentioned that NSW have Sys Admin on their SS list and there are still places, so perhaps this might be a way in if you're willing to stay there for the first 2 years?