ACS Skills Assessment - how long?

Guest MarK Jowett

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad your IELTS is over and done with! My husband says he thinks his went okay too, though he was glad of the practice as the test format itself could be a hurdle if you don't know what to expect.

Now another wait to get the results...migrating is certainly a good test of patience, eh?!

Guest MarK Jowett

I was the same Zeb, fine for the first three sections then for some reason went to pieces for the speaking - but ended up with a 9 - someone told me that one of the instructors told them that the speaking section is a formality for english people and you always get a 9, so don't worry.

My news - well I sent off the review form on Friday, which will take about 10 days to get there so just need to wait now. I've lost motivation though to be honest. My partner had to go and post the form on Friday as I couldn't be bothered (and I was hungover!).

Chin up, Mark. We just got our reassessment from ACS and have submitted our SS this morning. It's annoying having to wait for ACS a second time around, but if it does the job... Plus they were very quick at processing the review because they had all of the original documents. It took exactly 2 weeks from when it was marked as Docs Received. Good luck!

Guest MarK Jowett

Thats good news that it was successful, hopefully mine will be the same. One good thing about the new occupation code, if succesful is that it's one that's one the GSM list as well as the state sponsored one - so if Adelaide does fill up in the mean time I will still be able to apply.

Thanks Mark - makes me feel a bit better about the IELTS. What about NSW? Not interested? I know how you feel, I've been thinking the same....even been talking about what we can do to our house to make things a bit more comfortable - thinking about a porch with a downstairs toilet and a proper loft ladder....sad or what!?

Peter at PTLabs thinks we could give NT a go - kinda a bit scary but we haven't ruled it out and he also is clarifying the NSW position so we know that either way.

Guest MarK Jowett

Haven't ruled out NSW, and I did live there for 3 months when I was travelling, but honestly there are more drawbacks than advantages. It costs more to live there, it's busy and it's full of English people which is what we're trying to get away from!

NT wouldn't do either - it's too bloody hot up there and our dog would melt (she's a long haired german shepard). Also it's not very highly populated which I would imagine would make employment more difficult.

Adelaide is the perfect place as i've said many times before, and I think if it doesn't work out that we will just shelve the plans and see what happens with EoI.

You made a very good point though Zeb, about getting out and living life outside of your comfort zone. I've always said I just want one last big adventure and I see Adelaide as being it!

Guest Chris_J

I think you'll be fine with Systems Analyst in all honesty, and when I saw your skill set I did wonder if you were more suited to Analyst rather than Administrator. Sure we'll be having a beer late next year, and Zeb don't give up yet mate. Network Administrator is still there too if you're not too qualified for it.

hi everyone

Been a lurkeron this forum and following this thread for some time now, finally decided to join!

I guess i'm in the same situation as Zeb and Mark, been assessed as sys admin but not sure what's next...

My ACS assessment was a somewhat lengthy ordeal.....submitted beginning Feb 2011, request for further docs in July and finally a positive result end of August!!!! :-0

Did my IELTS in september, and submitted my SA app a few days after MarkJ......my online app still says waiting for docs but know what the result will be...

I've seriously considered NT, but my agent reckons NT will take approx. 6months to process SS apps! Also NT require $50K in funds if you bring a partner! I was all set with the SA $30K!

I've started thinking about changing my ACS to network administrator but i think i've passed the 60 day ACS review time limit? so i guess if i go down this route its a completely new application.. Going to check with my agent..

I asked about NSW, my agent said the IT degree was mandatory, so unfortunately for me thats out. Like to see what Zeb finds out....

Just don't know what to do.... i feel everyone's pain! :-)

*hugs* Another one left out to dry but welcome anyway! Mark kicked off quite a little club for group therapy here.....

I don't know what's involved in being a network administrator, I am pretty sure it's not what my experience is.....I guess mine is very focussed on server \ systems administration. My agent said that we would have to submit the whole ACS thing again anyway to change.

I'll let you know what my agent says about NSW, but I think it'll be the same. NT - yeah, it's not the ideal choice and it makes me wonder how far we want to go. I have to say this whole process is bringing up so many unexpected emotions and thoughts.....

Zebedee - if there is still anything on the SSML that you could claim to be, I would go for it. Don't let your agent put you off by saying you have to go through the whole ACS thing again. Our review was processed really fast (2 weeks), and even people applying first time around seem to be getting their assessments back within about 3-4 weeks. It could be worth a shot.

Guest MarK Jowett

Welcome Gaz, shame you're in the same boat, even worse that your application for ACS was so drawn out and basically buggered you! You have 60 days from the time your application was completed so is that any use? If not, it might not be a bad thing to completely re-apply. I made sure my employers (who are also friends) weighted my references towards the sys admin work I do, not the analyst style work I do and now i'm worried that it might go against me in trying to get my review. If you do a new application you could get new references which might be better.

Another thing - the money you need to 'say' you have is never checked, you just have to confirm that you 'plan' on taking that much. Obviously, you can't know how much you'll have exactly when you first apply if you are planning on waiting a year before actually moving.

Zeb - it's like Oidara says, your agent is wrong, the review system is there for several main reasons and one of them is changing you code (it has it's own section on the form). It's also cheaper than reapplying at $300. If i'm successful, i'd definitely recommend it.

Guest joseph1801

I dont know how you guys would feel about doing it (not sure myself), but I have had it confirmed there is no LEGAL requirement to live in the sponsoring state under the 176 visa - because the Federal Govnt issues the visa and you are immediately a permanent resident you are entitled to live and work where you want. Looking at other forums this idea seems to get under some people's skin but if you are desparate....?

I must admit that the idea did cross our minds. But then, thinking of how we missed out on a place in SA, it did begin to get under our skin that other people may have abused the system and used SA SS just as a means to get a visa. I think SA is particularly open to abuse here because they don't charge any money for the sponsorship application and they also process applications very quickly compared to some states. Personally, I think the moral obligation should count for something. But it's certainly true there's no legal obligation. I guess this is the dilemma everyone has to reckon with if they find themselves without another option.

Guest joseph1801

I agree it's not really the right thing to do, but do we just accept that we are (probably like you say oidara) victims of the system or do we use the system to our advantage like others have?

I certainly wouldnt feel comfortable doing it, but if it came down to a choice of going or not going.....dunno

I'd like to think that there's always another way. It might mean waiting for longer or, indeed, spending two years in a place you're not as keen on in order to fulfill the moral obligation, but it seems a slippery slope to think, "Well, other people take advantage, so why not me too?". I can certainly see the temptation when it seems like all other doors are closed, but hopefully most people will be able to find another solution.

I thought about this a lot this afternoon - if the only place we can get to is NT, I think we'll apply - if it does come together, we would try it for 6 months, minimum.....and if it was that hard (weather, lack of jobs, etc), then I would be pretty tempted to try and stay in Oz rather than come home to the UK.

Guest MarK Jowett

Go Zebedee!!! Love the attitude. From other posts i've seen, once you're in Oz it's not that easy to kick you out. Nor should they want to given the benefit you'll bring to the country.

@mark, thanks! Yeah, SA don't mind about the money but I've been advised that NT require proof, so might need to find the money somehow... ;-)

@zeb, my worry about the NT is how long it takes for SS. Willing to give it a go too, but will they process before next July?

I guess I need to decide whether to wait it out for SA in case spaces open or risk reassessment with ACS or go NT....

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

I've downloaded the form to do the ACS review and have a couple of questions - if it gets reviewed, do you loose your current title, i.e. sys admin, and only have the new one, i.e. network admin?

Can you put as a reason on the form that it's because you are trying to obtain state sponsorship to a certain part of Oz?