ACS Skills Assessment - how long?

Guest MarK Jowett

Guest DingDangDoo

Hi Gaz,

Ya that would be great if i got it this week :-) fingers crossed. Adelaide is gorgeous, im back in Melbourne now but will be going back soon the weather has been great...the biggest country town in the world is how the locals describe Adelaide :-) Im travelling around at the moment enjoying it before i start applying for jobs. Was just looking at the ielts dates today and the next general one available in Melbourne is 21st April so i will book in for that one i reckon.

Loving it over here so far though,wont be long before your out here :-)

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DingDangDoo

Guys, i just got approved for SS today woohoo:biggrin: that was pretty fast :-)

Am i passed the stressful stage or is there alot more to come?

Guest joseph1801

Great news DDD, congratulations. I'd like to tell you that the hard part is over, but form 80 is a bit of a pig. Hopefully you won't have to jump through the hoops I did, and zeb sailed through, so it may not be too bad.

But you're definitely over a major hurdle and should enjoy it. Well done again.

Guest gaz77

Hey ddd, congrats!

Must have been really stressing with it being on "low"!

For me the visa bit was definitely the least stressful. I guess you've still got the ielts to do....I didnt particularly enjoy that.

Form 80 is tedious, especially if you've moved homes frequently and been to lots of countries in the last 10 years.

Do your medicals at an ehealth enabled clinic, that really speeds things up!

That is brilliant news DDD - and so cool to hear you liked Adelaide - I can't wait to get out there for our trip in June. Even bought a new HD camcorder to take loads of footage so we can show the kiddies.

It's chaos for us at the moment, been getting removal quotes, setting up a bank account and even transferred some money out there. Starting to feel major real now. The big thing is the house, although we've had a pretty good offer on it today - pending them selling their place. If that works out, we may bring our plans forward and just get out there asap.

Actually starting to feel real now!

I've found Moneycorp very handy btw - really helped us so far with advice for the money side of things.

Edited by zebedee

Guest gaz77
Thank a bunch guys, how do i request that form 1100?Iv no number to provide them!

Need to lodge your visa application online with DIAC to get your TRN number, which you then supply on your SA site login. I believe its 60 days before your SS expires, should say on the SA site. Once you've supplied the TRN number SA will then forward form 1100 to DIAC.

Guest DingDangDoo

Gaz, i have to wait until the 14th of May to lodge with DIAC as me and the girlfriend wont have the 12 months until then.

My SS was granted on the 26th March so that gives me until 26 May (60 days) to lodge with DIAC,that will bring me over

the 14th May and I will have the 12 month requirement to put my girlfriend on as de facto, does this sound right?

I feel like im pushing for time but DIAC will just reject me if i have anything less than the 12 months i reckon.

Just want to make sure im doing everything right? I have booked in for my IELTS on the 21st April.

Any feedback much appreciated :smile:

Joseph did you get your degree sorted out?

Guest DingDangDoo

Sorry guys more questions, when should me and the girlfriend go and do the medicals, is it the sooner the better?

Do i need to have these when applying for the 176 or will they request them when needed. Augh man i feel stresssed i know i shouldnt!

I think the realisation that this could well just happen has hit me :-)

Guest gaz77

Sounds like thats the way to go. It's definitely still 60 days?

You're right, you don't want to risk DIAC rejecting your defacto app.

Our defacto bit was a lot less stressful than i initially thought, i guess it can come down to your CO.....

We've been together almost 5 years though. We submitted same address proof, joint savings account, couple of holiday pics, personal statements,etc.

In regards to meds/police checks, i waited til the CO asked for them.

I'd wait til you've lodged your visa or when the co asks.

Do you only need to get police checks for ireland? If you've lived in another country for a period of up to a year or longer in the past 10, you'll need a police check from that country as well.

The DIAC does allow time to sort out meds and police checks as long as you show proof you've submitted applications, etc.

I guess the most important thing is waiting for your 12 month defacto proof, then getting that visa lodged online asap so you're safe from the july changes. :smile:

Edited by gaz77

Guest DingDangDoo

Thanks Gaz.Ya it says 60 days on the email i got from SA, yes just police checks from ireland, i brought the police checks with me from ireland for both of us.

• 1 month later...

Wow, this thread went kinda quiet - just thought I'd post our update - still out to Adelaide on a scout mission early June, but our house appears to have sold (going through fine so far - fingers crossed) and we've decided to take the plunge and booked our one way tickets for the 26th July. Honestly can't believe it but it's actually happened. Hope all is well with the rest of the IT crew and will be interested to here where you all got too....

Guest gaz77

Hey zeb!

Glad the master plan is working out! Seems some people are having trouble selling homes...others not.

We're planning to leave for oz in September, haven't booked the one way flights yet, probably do that after May's pay comes in. Just been drawing up the list of things to sort out. No house to sell so thats one less worry. I think we're going to go with midway apartments for the short term rental as there's only two of us and every place seems to be geared towards families.

Seems emotions are changing everyday......excitement flips to fear and back constantly! :D:eek:

I heard you mention sorting out meetings with the recruitment agencies, are you doing that on your reccie?

Feeling confident about getting work quickly?

Hi Gaz!

Yes, have a few interviews in June - 50/50 with jobs - really just don't know, but, several agencies have said the job market goes very quiet from Nov-Feb so I am a bit more hopeful that going out start of August should be okay. Plus, I'll take whatever I can get, helpdesk, desktop, system admin, anything to get going!

Looks like that drink is on though :)

Oh yeah, and terrified, but can't wait! Seriously, seriously done with the UK.

Guest gaz77

Cool, I'm up for a cold one or two!

I've heard similar about their Xmas period job shutdown....just praying it all works out! But too right, if it means going back to 1st line support then so be it! :)

So how long is the reccie? Just you and the missus?

Feel the same way about the UK, enough is enough, ready for a brand new start!

Do you have friends/family in SA? It seems we've got friends everywhere except SA! ...Perth, Sydney, Brisbane...

I've haven't heard much from the others on this thread, I think DDD might need a second shot on his ielts and don't know if Joseph got his degree assessed yet..... Hope it all works out for them. Seems like its getting a little bit stressful on the run up to the July changes!

Guest OZdreams

This is my first post on this forum. And I do feel good about it :cool:

So wonderful this thread is. I went on and read almost all the posts and replies in here. I too applied for the ACS (S/W engineer) on 30th April, 2012. Then they asked for the reference letters for couple of my employers. I sent them on 11th March, 2012 and they acknowledged its receipt on 14th May. Currently, the status shows as 'with assessor' on stage 4. I hope things go in favour and I get a positive assessment before the deadline of July.

Wish me luck guys. :smile:

We only have one friend in Adelaide - a girl I went to school with and haven't seen in 20 years - she's been really helpful and we are meeting up in June. Yes, just wife and me for a week and a half - gonna odd, the longest we've been away from the children ever. Bit nervous but also gonna be lovely to have some time to ourselves.

And welcome OZdreams - we've been through what you have and know the waiting game is painful. Very best of luck with it!

Would be nice to hear from the others too....hoping Mark will be back with new, big plans :)

Guest OZdreams

Thanks Zebedee. A correction in my earlier post - its 11th May (not 11th March). Best wishes for all who are in the process, as am I.

Guest joseph1801

Hi Fellow IT emigres,

Finally had my degree assessed as equivalent/acceptable. Took 6 weeks in the end - could have been worse, they state it takes 8-12. My CO started hounding me saying if I didnt get it sorted by so and so date they would disregard it and fail me! What could I do to speed it up? Just when you think the stress cant get any worse they throw this sh** your way!

Anyway, had meds done yesterday in Maidenhead. We can do no more. How long did it take for your med results to finalise? We are fully e-health so surely it cant take too long?! (Ha! - who am I kidding)

Welcome OZdreams - this is a great place to get help, advice and support - you will need it! Good luck with your application.

Guest DingDangDoo

Hey guys hope ye are all well,yes i booked to my 2nd IELTS for the 26th May...only got 6.5 in the reading and 7 in listening. its so frustrating

never mind the price! got an extension until 25th of June for my SS from south australia which ws pretty sweet. So my last chance on the 26th May

to get this visa and if i dont well feck it :-) I will go to Canada lol

Guest OZdreams

Thanks Joseph. Indeed this forum will be of great help. And all the best to you for your fast track processing :smile:.

DDD, luck seems to be in your favour, so I'm sure that you would land up in Australia only... :smile:.

Guest Chris_J

So far we are looking to leave by the end of September or very beginning of October. Got a lot to do.... we need to buy the Freehold for our house, then get it on the market, book flights and get quotes for shipping errrrmmmmm...... possible?

I'm dreading handing my notice in as I've only been there a short while...