Guest ebstar

Building a home yourself

Guest ebstar

Hi all,

My oh is desperate to build our new home.By this i don't mean the house and land packages.He wants to find a plot of land and over a couple of years build the house himself.I do really like the idea in some ways but feel the cost would probably be more than we could stretch too.Has anybody done this or know where i could look for info?I have googled various things but am only coming up with house or house and land packages.Also he thinks he can do the plumbing and electrics himself,just getting it certificated before turning on.Any help on anything related would be great. Its like moving to the other side of the world. I want to do it with my eyes wide open to reduce those inevitable frights around the corner.Thanks for any help.

Sorry don't have much experience in this, but I'm pretty sure he'd have to be certified to actually do the work, you can't just get someone certified to check it.

You cant just do the work yourself then get someone to give you a certificate to say its ok.You need to get the proper trades to do Elec and plumbing you also need some one with a supevisors licence to oversea the construction of the property and sign it of as being built correct Depend where you buy the land but most plots once you start building you only have so long to finish the house usualy 12 months unless its only sitting itself on a big plotTry and google self build homes that will come up with loads of things kit homes etc.

Guest ebstar

Thanks for the replies.I told him we would need certified tradies in to do things like the plubing and electrics but i think someone had told him he could do it and just needed someone to check and certify before use. I remembered reading about things being quite strict here on those. I do have confidence in his skills but there are some areas of a build i would feel happier using people qualified for the particular job.

Im trying to pursuade him that getting a company to do the structual build,electircs and plumbing would be a better route.That way he can completely sort the rest,Kitchen,bathroom,floors,deck etc. I will check out the sites mentioned thanks.