So - whats your spider story?

Guest beth

Guest leeannekays

We fly over next month 22nd April, I do worry about the spiders so I'll be interested in the replies to Ali 's post about keeping them out the house. I heard you could get plug ins that send a current round the house to keep spiders out?

Leeanne

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest benj1980

Can someone do me a favour and give me a quick lowdown on what spiders are dangerous and which ones are useful allies! I am going to Oz for the first time in a few weeks and will keep my eyes peeled!!

if plug-ins do really work and keep them out i'll buy a dozen and use them 24/7 Leanne. The thought of them crawling in my bed while I'm asleep is just too much! :dull:

Been here nearly 6 months now and hardly ever see them (just their crazy webs) 1 huntsman in the rumpus room during our first week which we carefully put outside to deal with the other nasties and 1 redback in the shed - he was dealt with swiftly - sprayed and splatted!

Don't listen to all the scaremongering (or at least take it with a pinch of salt) - some people love to exaggerate!

My S-I-L found a baby brown snake in the pool shed which made its way quickly to the pool for a swim. He was held under with the bug net till he didn't swim again - now they are scarey! I've been reliably informed if I keep away from their habitats and don't provoke them I should be OK. I wear boots not thongs when walking in grass/bushland and stomp around on paths where 'beware of Snakes' warning signs are in view to let them know I'm coming to make sure they p**s off.

Guest Barney Rubble
what about the city? do you get many spiders inside apartment units in the city?:confused:

Nah :nah:

Thay can't afford the rent :unsure:

Sorry couldn't resist :embarressed:

Guest ebstar

Well, our first house over here we various size house spiders just like in the UK.We had a huntsman that ate the bugs around the front door or sometimes he would look for something more substantial in the wheelie bin. I was a bit scared the first tiome i saw him but was satisfied that he would eat any other nasties that tried to get in. We also had loads of little lizards and a 1.5ft blue tongue lizard out back thus keeping the crawlies down there. Since moving a month ago we have come across a few red backs but only one in the house. I am scared stiff of spiders but honestly its not been the scary problem i thought it would when i got here. Weird as it may seem i had a bigger problem with them in the UK!

I've been freaked out once while here and that was by my oh! He rides a motorbike to work and and decided to keep his bash hat on top of a high unit covered in clutter while working.He put his helmet on after work (without looking inside) and as he was in the middle of 3 lanes of heavey traffic heading home,could feel something wriggling just above his ear!:wideeyed: He carried a while further and found somewhere safe to pullover and when he removed his helmet,out dropped a huntsman the size of the palm of his hand!:shocked: It quickly scurriedand sat in the handlebar for the rest of the journey home. He proudly showed us as he removed him from the bike at home.I still feel itchy now thinking about it!

• 6 months later...
Took this photo today. It was sitting in the cover of the pool water filter.

Actually, we've found three in there...

If you have the finger holes in the cover use a bent piece of wire to lift it.

It will only be a matter of time before a snake is sitting in the skimmer box.............!!!

Had 2 in ours!!!!!!!

Took this photo today. It was sitting in the cover of the pool water filter.

Actually, we've found three in there...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5467[/ATTACH]

Even as a confirmed arachnophobe, I have to say the redback is a very beautiful looking spider. Rather like those plastic toy ones you used to be able to buy for kids. Far prefer the look of them to the furry huntsman, which is totally a** about face in terms of the danger of them!

Guest jakeandshelley

Coming to Adelaide in January, hadn't given spiders much thought until a friend of my mum's told us a story about a lady returning to Scotland from Oz. A few days after she arrived in Scotland she found a massive Huntsman on the livingroom wall, they killed it and then the next day found another in the bedroom. She showed us pictures and now I'm completely freaking out!!! Think I could maybe cope with seeing them outside and I've heard you can get sprays to control them in the house but I am terrified of them jumping out on me in the car!! I know that I would panic and God knows what would happen.... any advice on how to deal with these 8 legged monsters!?

Shelley

Coming to Adelaide in January, hadn't given spiders much thought until a friend of my mum's told us a story about a lady returning to Scotland from Oz. A few days after she arrived in Scotland she found a massive Huntsman on the livingroom wall, they killed it and then the next day found another in the bedroom. She showed us pictures and now I'm completely freaking out!!! Think I could maybe cope with seeing them outside and I've heard you can get sprays to control them in the house but I am terrified of them jumping out on me in the car!! I know that I would panic and God knows what would happen.... any advice on how to deal with these 8 legged monsters!?

Shelley

This was taken last night, that's my finger to give scale but sorry about the lack of focus,I had a few drinks:wubclub:

2012-09-22-603.jpg

Guest Barney Rubble
This was taken last night, that's my finger to give scale but sorry about the lack of focus,I had a few drinks:wubclub:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5468[/ATTACH]

Would like 2 know Tyke how the surgery went ? Shortly after taking this picture I was informed that Tyke lost the end of his finger getting a little too close !

You ok mate ?

Guest moonraker1959

I've had some experiences with spiders.When my oldest daughter was a baby,she was having an afternoon nap in her cot in her bedroom.I decided to check up on her,and on entering her room,noticed something crawling on her net curtain.As I approached I realised it was a Redback.I don't really enjoy killing things but had no choice on this occasion.So I took of my flip flops and squidged it between them!On another occasion I went to open the back screen door,and as it was night time,and I had no light on,I did'nt notice the Huntsman also sitting on the door handle.It kind of jumped on my hand as I accidently touched it,I shook my hand,it bit me!!!!lol Then another time,my friend was driving,I was a passenger,she pulled down her sun visor and a huntsman dropped down into her lap!Ughhhhhhh She suddenly stopped the car,and jumped out!lol When oldest daughter was around 9 yrs old,she went to bed,and a while later we heard her screaming.On investigation,she had turned her bedside light out and a while later,touched what she thought was a crack in the wall next to her bed.It was infact a leg belonging to a huntsman!lol OH had to then spend quite a while finding the spider and disposing of it outside! I don't like spiders,whatever country I'm in!