Xmas Posting

Guest lippy

Thanks for asking, Riponian! This is our first xmas here and have already been stung for sending presents back to the UK....was quoted $99 for a parcel!!! Thankfully I could take the chocolates out and got it reduced down to $53, and got to eat the Haigh's! But it's still a lot.

Hadn't thought to send stuff by sea....will be ok for certain presents/people.

Will also have to get my act together - 21st isn't far now!

Thanks again!!

A good idea for next year if you don't mind online shopping is to order stuff in the UK (M&S, John Lewis and just about any other store you can think of all have online shops), pay online etc and have it shipped direct to the person. You can usually include gift wrap for a couple of quid and don't have to worry about sending months in advance. Usually the middle of November is plenty of time. I've done stuff as late as a couple of weeks before Christmas for people overseas and its gotten there just fine.

Its not got the personal touch but for quite a few people its a great option and saves on costs and hassle.

Hi snifter

Yes, I'll be doing that too - especially since we still have a UK bank account. We'll be having my BIL's 'big' pressie delivered to the in-laws and have them wrap it! LOL It's just the handmade/'Aussie' presents I need to ship to friends who don't live near our families, as we're sending the bulk of the family pressies with my bro who's coming to visit in Nov....he can earn his board here by being my courier (I'm going to have him bring stuff this way, too)!

Thanks for the reminder, though :)

Cheaper to bulk send xmas cards to the UK and have someone there post them out - no aussie stamp but all the way from Oz! Who said the Scot's were tight??? :)

Bet I still forget to post via the boat.

A quick reminder too is that all mail has to be in Sydney prior to the 21st and not posted here on the 21st!

Xmas comes around quicker each year - soon be time for Easter eggs....

I know, who'd have thought we'd be actually wrapping and posting presents in mid-September?! I'm not generally organised either, so this is going to take a mammoth effort!

I think I might send the cards back with my bro, too.....I doubt I'll get them done as well as the pressies before the 16th (do you think that will that be enough time for them to get to Sydney for the last boat on the 21st?)

Bugga, this is my 6th year and I still dont get my act together:( whoops!

I've asked the question but still not done anything and I am away the next 2 weekends??!

Couldn't they just use a faster boat? and postpone for a month?

Hi

Just been into my local PO and asked about the dates and was told that they need 3 clear business days to get post/parcels from Adelaide to Sydney......so, I think I'm going to get mine in next Thursday (15th) to make sure.

HTH