stuck in England !!!!!!

Guest guest569

Guest Guest5035
"Ye go for it do what Stevo says" I am sure you have got nothing else to worry about. You would be stuck in Hong kong for a week trying to fix passports out for yourself and your wife I am sure you dont need that at this time with everything else going on.

if we had longer in hong kong i would go for it !! QUOTE]

thats the attitude PP

stevo

The same happened to my hubby when he first went back to the UK after getting Aussie Citizenship. He luckily knew a solicitor who signed the paperwork for him but it was having to get someone to go into his flat to get the Citizenship Certificate number in Australia was the hardest bit. All came good in the end and he got the passport within a couple of days! Hope you get your dilemma sorted out.

Guest guest569

When trying everything possible i did try the e visa route. As soon as i completed the application on line giving my name, british passport number and my address as my inlaws uk address where we also lived for 6 weeks before we emigrated all those years ago ( and still have minimum mail going there !!) it came up immediately that it had recognised us as Australian citizens in the system and could not offer us any kind of visa.

if the sytstem can pic us up and recognise us that quick it just makes our troubles even more of a joke !!!!!!

we've been here for two years now on a state sponsered permanent visa and my wife went back to the uk for her sisters wedding in our first year obviously on a uk passport and got back in no problems.

she now in the uk again for her youngest sisters wedding still uk passport and lands back in adelaide on tuesday the 29th november, i'll let you know how she goes.

Guest guest569
we've been here for two years now on a state sponsered permanent visa and my wife went back to the uk for her sisters wedding in our first year obviously on a uk passport and got back in no problems.

she now in the uk again for her youngest sisters wedding still uk passport and lands back in adelaide on tuesday the 29th november, i'll let you know how she goes.

She'll be fine as long as she's not an Australian citizen.

You will have a visa in your brittish passport that last for 5 years from the date it was issued unless you have an e visa which will be on there system when your passport gets scanned at airport and will flag up you have a visa.

so if you're a citizen with a uk passport that's a problem?

that's strange.

Guest Crushfamily
You will have a visa in your brittish passport that last for 5 years from the date it was issued unless you have an e visa which will be on there system when your passport gets scanned at airport and will flag up you have a visa.

No like how the ETA visa gets cancelled when you get the 176 - the 176 gets cancelled when you get Aus citizenship thats why you need the Aus passport

Sorry to hear your news. I was in the same situation last year. Got the phone call my father had a major heart attack and was on a life support machine. Rung immigration got told I had to have an Australian passport to re-enter and had to make an appointment at immigration which they could not give me for 3 days. In the uk my father was in a really bad way but immigration showed no compassion. In the end he died before I could even leave oz. Still not over his death and made worst by the fact I was here and not with him when he died. I know I should have got my Oz passport but he was only 62 and really healthy and I never felt an urgency to get it as I did'nt think it would happen like this. The message is get the oz passport because it can happen to any of us! Deb x Thinking of you

Guest cjdelphi

Wow, my british passport expired about a year ago, and I was even thinking of renewing my british passport just so that if i went back to the UK id get in easy, but i'm so glad you posted this because now i know if i did, i'd have issues returning, geez, that's totally screwed up, so even if you had your citizenship paper in your hand, you'd still not be allowed in, and the computer says you're aussie, that is totally just wrong!!!!

i feel for you i really do and i normally lack empathy for anyone lol

Guest guest569

had appointment at Australia house in London and have been told passports will be emergency processed and delivered in 4 days !!! So all being well should get them on tues !! We were due to return on sunday but because of our situation Cathay pacific have allowed us to extend our stay by 3 days so we leave on weds. the whole problem has really added extra stress to this sad visit not to mention the 400 pounds for passports we hadn't budgeted for !!!

As far as immigration queues at Heathrow with british and non british passports there was no difference. I won't be renewing my british passport when it runs out, i'll just make sure from now on my Australian one is always at hand !!!! ( even if in the picture i have my movember for the next 10 years. Something to remember this saga with !!! lol)

Guest Guest5035
had appointment at Australia house in London and have been told passports will be emergency processed and delivered in 4 days !!! So all being well should get them on tues !! We were due to return on sunday but because of our situation Cathay pacific have allowed us to extend our stay by 3 days so we leave on weds. the whole problem has really added extra stress to this sad visit not to mention the 400 pounds for passports we hadn't budgeted for !!!

As far as immigration queues at Heathrow with british and non british passports there was no difference. I won't be renewing my british passport when it runs out, i'll just make sure from now on my Australian one is always at hand !!!! ( even if in the picture i have my movember for the next 10 years. Something to remember this saga with !!! lol)

excellent news, even better news re throwing the british one, can we call you passionate oz now. Hows the FIL now, all good?? By the way forcast is 34 for Thursday/Friday

stevo

Good to hear its getting sorted. Sorry to hear about your FIL.

I must admit, I only got my Aussie Passport and was glad I did when I arrived at Heathrow to see the line up for European Passport holders was a mile long and I queued in the Foreign Lane with about 10 people there and with the chip in the Passport, there was no queuing whatsoever!!

GREAT I CAN TELL MY KIDS WE CAN USE THE POOL UNTIL TUESDAY, THEN MUST REMEMBER TO PICK UP THE TOWELS AND REMOVE THE LADDER FROM THE FENCE.........

:wink:

Guest Kazzarazza
...geez, that's totally screwed up, so even if you had your citizenship paper in your hand, you'd still not be allowed in, and the computer says you're aussie, that is totally just wrong!!!!

I really feel for the OP but why is that "totally just wrong". You wouldn't get into ANY country without a passport - UK included. You can't turn up at Manchester airport with a birth certificate and say "I'm British, let me in!"

Glad to hear it all got sorted out so quickly PP and good on ya for bringing it to people's attention.

Cheers, Kazza