Golden Grove & surrounding areas...

VdMfamily

Morning all... we are in the process of Visa application, my other half has a job in Golden Grove so we'll be looking to rent around this area - surrounding areas. Can any of you lovely People recommend good areas to live around here and Schools for an 8 year old, I know it's personal choice, just looking for anyone who has children that already go to the Schools, had a look at Golden Grove Primary and it looks lovely.

thanks for reading

Guest shella_n

Golden grove is a great area - I've heard the school is really good too. Only negative in my opinion is distance to beach, apart from that it's fab - surrounding suburbs are all good that way too.

We have friends who have a Son at Golden Grove....... and they are very pleased with the school. It's a lovely area to live..... but not near the beach! Nearest one is Samaphore ......... about 30 mins drive! However, lots of things for an eight year old in that area...... Bowling.... parks.... swim centres and Modbury has a water slide park.... very near to Golden Grove! We are in Banksia... which is also near to GG.... I would ideally have loved to be near the beach... but have to say my Kids are very settled and happy in this area. ;)

Guest Guest5035

I live in Wynn Vale which is adj to GG, my two kids went to the GG high school, i know everything you want to know, but i can best answer later today, but i will say this now, fantastic new areas, everything is here.

Stevo

my daughter goes to Golden Grove Primary, its a lovely school, Wendy Moore is a fantastic Head Mistress and makes time to listen to Parents concerns and talk to the kids its good to see. They seem to cater well for kids education. (When I came I put my girls in the equivelant year to what we had in the Uk, but this was a mistake as the kids were at least a year older and she had nothing in common with them, so we kept her back a year for social reasons and she was put in an excellerated group where she's been working on year 6-7 work but she's actually in Year 5 she is totally thriving now and its fantastic to see)

You also have Wynn Vale, keith Cot and greenwith state schools they all seem to have a good reputations locally.

Julie

Guest Guest5035
Morning all... we are in the process of Visa application, my other half has a job in Golden Grove so we'll be looking to rent around this area - surrounding areas. Can any of you lovely People recommend good areas to live around here and Schools for an 8 year old, I know it's personal choice, just looking for anyone who has children that already go to the Schools, had a look at Golden Grove Primary and it looks lovely.

thanks for reading

whereabouts will he be working? need to narrow down the area then he might be able to walk or push bike to work.

stevo

PS nearest beach will be Semaphore 23 minute drive away

thanks Lynsteve, we will be looking around Golden Grove, Greenwith, Wynn vale etc, want to spend no more then $500 a week on rental... that's the max. Benn looking on realestate.au, some lovely houses and some not so lovely, tink we'll be in a rental for 3-4 weeks when we 1st arrive, hubby's work will arrange that though so it'll then be a mammoth task to find a nice rental near to a nice School for our Daughter, what kind of activities do they do there for Children after School? Daughter is a tom boy, loves boyish clubs rather then dance etc lol

Guest Guest5035
thanks Lynsteve, we will be looking around Golden Grove, Greenwith, Wynn vale etc, want to spend no more then $500 a week on rental... that's the max. Benn looking on realestate.au, some lovely houses and some not so lovely, tink we'll be in a rental for 3-4 weeks when we 1st arrive, hubby's work will arrange that though so it'll then be a mammoth task to find a nice rental near to a nice School for our Daughter, what kind of activities do they do there for Children after School? Daughter is a tom boy, loves boyish clubs rather then dance etc lol

she can join my sons taekwondo club, he's a blackbelt there, few girls go there, she'll be right,if you see a house you like i can do a drive by and have a nosy, i live at wynn vale on the border with gg, we have everything you can possibly want in the area, except the beach!!

stevo

she can join my sons taekwondo club, he's a blackbelt there, few girls go there, she'll be right,if you see a house you like i can do a drive by and have a nosy, i live at wynn vale on the border with gg, we have everything you can possibly want in the area, except the beach!!

stevo

thanks for that Stevo, you are most helpful, how long have you been out there now? If you have time you could answer a few more questions for me please...

How much is it to convert to a SA Drivers Licence and is there any benefits to this or is it best to just use my UK one?

My hubby has a South African drivers licence, do you know anything about getting that converted?

What sort of costs does Schooling incur there, not a private School just usual state Schools? Do the Schools get the same about of holidays as the UK ones?

What Schools (primary) are there in Wynn Vale, hubby will be working at a brick Factory in GG not sure of address but don't really want a commute of anymore then 20-30 mins each way so that's a main factor of where we live as I'll be looking for part time work to fit in with School...

Do they do breakfast or after school clubs there?

Sorry for the questions, it's so hard trying to get an idea of those things when you've never even visited Adelaide eeeek... Visa is going through so we think we'll be there by Feb 12

Guest Guest5035
thanks for that Stevo, you are most helpful, how long have you been out there now? If you have time you could answer a few more questions for me please...

How much is it to convert to a SA Drivers Licence and is there any benefits to this or is it best to just use my UK one?

My hubby has a South African drivers licence, do you know anything about getting that converted?

What sort of costs does Schooling incur there, not a private School just usual state Schools? Do the Schools get the same about of holidays as the UK ones?

What Schools (primary) are there in Wynn Vale, hubby will be working at a brick Factory in GG not sure of address but don't really want a commute of anymore then 20-30 mins each way so that's a main factor of where we live as I'll be looking for part time work to fit in with School...

Sorry for the questions, it's so hard trying to get an idea of those things when you've never even visited Adelaide eeeek... Visa is going through so we think we'll be there by Feb 12

again, just home from nightshift, so if i miss something remind me..

been here since 1991 all this time in and around Golden Grove/Wynn Vale areas,

re the drivers licence, not sure about the conversion cost or the south african one, tamara homes down under, a member on here,came from SA pm her, school holidays are about the same as uk anfd in wynn vale i think theres one and a private school aswell kings baptist, costs again not sure, i just bring the money in the wife pays it out!! After hours are available i believe at all schools, not sure about brekkie.

The brick factory is approx 8 mins drive from Golden Grove shops, bus terminus there etc etc, if hubby likes push biking, only need 1 car then you'll be laughing as some parts of GG are around a 5 minute ride away

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&cp=28&gs_id=t&xhr=t&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4ADFA_enAU444AU444&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&ion=1&biw=1214&bih=641&wrapid=tljp1322684233496054&q=greenwith+road+golden+grove&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=To_WTuL2B7HqmAWnzKxj&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=3&sqi=2&ved=0CAwQ_AUoAg

the link shows the brickworks, there is another brickworks opposite aswell,scroll to the left on the map you'll see the golden grove village towars the lhs of the map, i live adj to the shops, opposite the shops is the high school, a nice area is around john road, just abit north of that is greenwith.one primary school is off bicentenial drive, and another at the junction of golden grove road/ golden way at greenwith, you'll see lots of green areas, these are all great walking trails

stevo

Guest Fancy a Beer

I live in Greenwith and both my kids aged 12 & 8 are at Greenwith Primary, its a great school and both kids are doing really well there and love it! They have loads of activities for boys and girls after school and lots of other clubs locally for the kids.

Greenwith as an area is a great place to livew with a young family, we have been here 5 years now :)

#

we're in Golden Grove and love it with 3 kids (15, 13 & 7) Just to add to Lynn & Steve - you need to convert license within 3 months and you can purchase renewals in 1 year or multiple years. it's not cheap but I can't remember the actual cost. Theoretically they are supposed to take your UK license but they let us keep ours but took my brother and sister in laws. School Holidays are slightly different from UK. School starts last week in January and runs through Mid December. Sumer Hols (Mid Dec - end of Jan) are roughly same as UK but ther are 4 terms (9-10 weeks long) each yr with a 2 week break in between. So no half terms but 2 weeks off after every 10 week block. I have to say I quite like it better than the UK as you can actually go on a holiday. If he's working in GG you probably don't want to waste the time living by the beach - closest (semaphore) is pricey to live. However if you want to compromise you could try something like Mawson Lakes so you're 15 mins from Golden Grove and 15 minutes away from the beach. We've thought of that because I work in the city and get bored of the commute but we love Golden Grove. Currently looking for a bigger house and keep being drawn back to here.Plus 3 happy kids at Tyndale. As for school fees, you will pay probably around $500 at a state school for supplies and camps. You pay for all stationery here. However, there are lots of different options and low fee paying schools like Tyndale and Kings Baptist versus the high fee schools in the hills and city. Your Daughter could play soccer, netball, etc. as very popular. Liz

Guest guest9403

we are 4 weeks in golden grove and loving it..i know its a bit of a drive to de beach but we head to west beach every weekend!! Got my daughter into keith cot farm playschool..only down side is there are no other kids on our road so she misses that from home in Ireland.I havent met anyone either except for older neighbours,de house is gorgeous thou,wud love to meet other mams for a coffee :-) my daughter is 4!!

• 4 months later...

If your kids are interested in meeting up with my Daughter who's 8 give me a shout

#

we're in Golden Grove and love it with 3 kids (15, 13 & 7) Just to add to Lynn & Steve - you need to convert license within 3 months and you can purchase renewals in 1 year or multiple years. it's not cheap but I can't remember the actual cost. Theoretically they are supposed to take your UK license but they let us keep ours but took my brother and sister in laws. School Holidays are slightly different from UK. School starts last week in January and runs through Mid December. Sumer Hols (Mid Dec - end of Jan) are roughly same as UK but ther are 4 terms (9-10 weeks long) each yr with a 2 week break in between. So no half terms but 2 weeks off after every 10 week block. I have to say I quite like it better than the UK as you can actually go on a holiday. If he's working in GG you probably don't want to waste the time living by the beach - closest (semaphore) is pricey to live. However if you want to compromise you could try something like Mawson Lakes so you're 15 mins from Golden Grove and 15 minutes away from the beach. We've thought of that because I work in the city and get bored of the commute but we love Golden Grove. Currently looking for a bigger house and keep being drawn back to here.Plus 3 happy kids at Tyndale. As for school fees, you will pay probably around $500 at a state school for supplies and camps. You pay for all stationery here. However, there are lots of different options and low fee paying schools like Tyndale and Kings Baptist versus the high fee schools in the hills and city. Your Daughter could play soccer, netball, etc. as very popular. Liz

Guest holliepop

Hi, My sister lives in Wynn Vale and has done for the last 6 years and she loves it. She has 2 young children and finds it great for them. Even though beach isn't in walking distance this hasn't been an issue as she has a car! She is also a teacher at Kings Baptist and I have heard as private schools go that it is reasonably priced- what ever that means! I have stayed with her a few times and me and my boyfriend loved Golden Grove/Wynn Vale area- plenty of shops, places to eat, bowling alley, parks etc. We will be basing ourselves in GG/Wynn Vale when we arrive for a time so would highly recommend! & I do believe that Golden Grove was once voted most 'desirable address' or something like that! & the Golden Grove Tavern does excellent food!!