What is cheaper in Aus then in the UK !!!!!

minty

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rachael Reeve

It sounds like some things are cheaper in OZ but there are still things cheaper in the UK. Swings and Roundabouts. It all depends on your reason for going to OZ.

Guest Ryan T. Lion

Petrol is much cheaper, but with a 3.2 V6 with AC pretty much constantly on, it cancels out.

Days out are MUCH cheaper - take a pack up and you can have an amazing time very cheap.

Supermarkets/retail are all much more expensive, they seem 15-20yrs in the past (no BOGOF as previously mentioned, even 'own brand' is pretty expensive)

IT IS STILL WORTH COMING HERE!!!

We had an amazing day out Boxing Day at the Races (family day). It was $10 per adult entry, kids free, and inside was a massive fun fair for the kids - free all day. A bottle of wine was $22, a cold beer $6....... Cheap day.

The mistake I made (and a lot of people probably make everyday) is to convert your fab new Aussie salary into £'s and think that's what you'll have. Bad idea. The exchange rate exaggerates salaries but you won't be spending £'s, you'll be spending $'s..........

Get a carton (24 pack) of beer here for $42, or go to ASDA and get "one transaction per customer" where you get 2 x 15 packs for £14 etc..... It's just miles harder to hunt out the bargains here whereas in the UK they throw it at you.

I still think, even watching the pennies, it is worth coming here. You stop converting $'s/£'s and you soon just earn $'s and think in $'s.

You can't put a price on the open spaces, weather, beaches and the great attitude of the locals.

You don't find much bullish*t here either, what's that worth???

:-)

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-34.923963,138.602017

Hi there,

what I have found cheaper is things like hair salons, meat, fruit and veg, tv licences, fishing licences, petrol, pizza's, sunshine and wildlife parks such as the big rocking horse, day trips out for a family is so affordable adelaide has some great festivals and for kids the face painting is always free not to mention parking and oh yes parking tickets are about $20 in my part of the uk it would be 200 pound and a tow away ticket too.

Guest JACK JONES

With regards to Australians having better teeth than the Brits. I would say that is not true. I have been all over Australia, and would say their teeth are no better than ours.

If you lined up 50 Aussies and 50 Brits, and told them to smile, you would not know who was from where (appart from the fashion sense :biggrin:)

• 2 weeks later...

Just written a peice on this on other thread cost of living in Adealide as working out budget.

Found food very expensive for three of us for all our food, we never eat out and other stuff like washing pwder etc we spend %300 a week. We are on specail diets that make it worse no cows milk and goats milk is 5 a litre and spelt bread 8 a go. However we only eat meat once a week. My colleagues at work all spend same amount more or less