Do we need to have our daughter immunized against tb before heading to SA?

Guest Helchops

Guest Helchops

Dear All,

A quick question...

We head out to Adelaide July 25th on a 176 Visa from the UK and are trying to sort/establish what we need to take/do before heading out.

One big thing on our list is... Do we need to have our 15 month old daughter vaccinated against TB before going? Or any other immunizations for that matter?

We may sound silly asking but it's worth an ask!

Thanks in advance!

Carlie, Dan and Helena x

You don't need to give her TB. As fas as I know they don't vaccinate against tb at all in Australia as a matter of course (tho I suppose you could get the jab if you wanted it privately).

Our children are not and were not up to date with vaccinations deliberately because we have ethical concerns about some of them and therefore are selective. With the conscientious objection system I imagine this would mean they don't insist on children coming here fully immunised but someone else who's been in a similar position with visas like yours will need to comment, because my children have Australian passports so didn't need a visa to move here.

Guest Adelaide_bound

Carlie I know there is a payment scheme for getting your child immunised in Oz, I don't know the ins and outs of this though, so perhaps worth a look into, not that I'm into benefits generally, but when you're setting up every little helps (and you're a lovely person who works hard for little/no thanks, so deserve it lol)

Info here: http://immunise.health.gov.au/

and some more info here:

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/services/acir/index.jsp

and here:

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/maternity_allow.htm

Not that I am aware of. Just ensure you take your red book which has a record of all immunisations done so far in the UK for your little one. They'll need that to know what she has or hasn't had when time comes for vaccinations in Aus (unless you don't wish to immunise which is a whole other can of worms) :)

Yes, just to confirm - there is "immunisation allowance" but you don't HAVE to have all the imms - you can do a conscientious objection form if you object for proper reason, and then you are still entitled to the imm allowance. I've done that for 4 out of my 5 (we don't do all the imms, just most of them).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest the Tews
Dear All,

A quick question...

We head out to Adelaide July 25th on a 176 Visa from the UK and are trying to sort/establish what we need to take/do before heading out.

One big thing on our list is... Do we need to have our 15 month old daughter vaccinated against TB before going? Or any other immunizations for that matter?

Thanks in advance!

Carlie, Dan and Helena x

Hi

No you dont need to, in the UK TB vaccination is not Given till age 14-15. Just before we emigrated my eldest,14,brought home a letter from school stating that they were not going to immunise everyone routinely. I you are up to date with her routine vaccinations DTP, MMR etc then you can claim money back when you get here!

Hope that helps, andrea

Hi

No you dont need to, in the UK TB vaccination is not Given till age 14-15. Just before we emigrated my eldest,14,brought home a letter from school stating that they were not going to immunise everyone routinely. I you are up to date with her routine vaccinations DTP, MMR etc then you can claim money back when you get here!

Hope that helps, andrea

It might be different in London where we are from but TB isn't given to teenagers anymore. For the past 5 or 6 years it has been OFFERED to newborns shortly (a few weeks) after birth as the vaccination we all used to get at secondary school has been phased out. In London certainly this is due to increasing numbers of cases of TB seen in migrating families and also due to an increase in travel and holidays to far flug places.

Hth

Dear All,

A quick question...

Thanks in advance!

Carlie, Dan and Helena x

Oh meant to add none of mine have had TB vac and here we are in Oz on a 176 visa!

We brought our daughter out at 18 months and just handed her red book (she was fully up to date with uk schedule) to nurse at local doctors - she copied it and sent off to the immunisation register in australia. heard back that she needed 3 hep b shots and 1 chickenpox but have decided that if she didn't need them in the uk i'm not putting her through that here. we are on a 475 temp visa.