Skilled migrants having trouble getting jobs?

Guest Damien

Very much so. I often meddle/interfere in other fishers' affairs. Main job requirement when dealing with local denizens is to lack a sense of humour :policeman:

Despite my educated background (ahem) I'd never heard the word peripatetic before, left me seeking the Oxford English Dictionary. Apparently means 'walking, travelling about, itinerant'. This sums up many PIA poster's lives well, even if they put it a little more simply so nice one, good use of the English language.

:notworthy: They do say you learn a new thing every day. Not sure where I'll use it though (think that may go for many on here).

Oh and if you're feeling catarrhtic try some decongestant, always helps when you need to disengage....:goofy:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Preston

Been in adelaide for 1year, worked at the Stamford Grand, befor they changed managment and my hours got reduced to nothing.

Since then, I have been doing part time jobs here and there, in **** places like petfood stores and stuff.

Not what you would expect from a fully qualified electrician, but, thats worth nothing without a van and tools, as no one employs you directly over here, its all contracting work (makes it easier for them to pick u up and let you go when they feel like it)

Im hopefully going to be getting a start on a building site soon,t other than that, I have to say finding any form of normal work here is not easy. The casual speed to which many HR departments act over here is shocking, that and the fact they expect 8 page CVs perfectly tailored for the application for some mundane monkey job makes the whole process SLOW AND ANNOYING because even when u have supplied the best CV ever, they still take 3/4 ****ing weeks to call you.

Overall im not really liking my experiance here, Adelaide is a small town, full of small minded people, who think their irrellivent lives are the center of the universe. Plus a general cultural vacuum its like living in America on the cheap. Also an undercurrent of ill informed republicanism leaves me getting constantly drawn into conversation about the Queen, to which i normally reply that i Wish they did go and be a republic so said republican can just shut the **** up and go and vote Shane Warne as President with first Lady Hurly, such a tacky thing would actully suit a tacky country down to the ground!

Guest Guest5035

Overall im not really liking my experiance here, Adelaide is a small town, full of small minded people, who think their irrellivent lives are the center of the universe. Plus a general cultural vacuum its like living in America on the cheap. Also an undercurrent of ill informed republicanism leaves me getting constantly drawn into conversation about the Queen, to which i normally reply that i Wish they did go and be a republic so said republican can just shut the **** up and go and vote Shane Warne as President with first Lady Hurly, such a tacky thing would actully suit a tacky country down to the ground!

have a look behind ikea...:wink:

stevo

Would have to disagree with that. I'm a sparkle and found work easy and all of the sparks I know over here have managed to do the same. Most in full time employed positions to. Seems to be no shortage of work for sparks especially when you get your SA licence.

Guest Damien
Been in adelaide for 1year, worked at the Stamford Grand, befor they changed managment and my hours got reduced to nothing.

Since then, I have been doing part time jobs here and there, in **** places like petfood stores and stuff.

Not what you would expect from a fully qualified electrician, but, thats worth nothing without a van and tools, as no one employs you directly over here, its all contracting work (makes it easier for them to pick u up and let you go when they feel like it)

Im hopefully going to be getting a start on a building site soon,t other than that, I have to say finding any form of normal work here is not easy. The casual speed to which many HR departments act over here is shocking, that and the fact they expect 8 page CVs perfectly tailored for the application for some mundane monkey job makes the whole process SLOW AND ANNOYING because even when u have supplied the best CV ever, they still take 3/4 ****ing weeks to call you.

I know exactly what you mean mate, when I worked as a brickie in Adelaide is was so frustrating and I was getting more and more down with life here. You should try living in the country, it's great. Best thing we did. Everyone accepts you and helps you out no end. They love the fact you've moved here and really appreciate you joining the community. I've managed to get the mrs a job after 6 years being a housewife, just by getting to know the locals. It's great that we can send our youngest (turned 7 last week) to the shop on her own and not worry about her at all (she would scream like a banshee if anyone nicked her lolly money though). Adelaide is a nice city but try country life, yeah it's slow but it's bloody good! And some even like their Queen;)

Would have to disagree with that. I'm a sparkle and found work easy and all of the sparks I know over here have managed to do the same. Most in full time employed positions to. Seems to be no shortage of work for sparks especially when you get your SA licence.

So true Chris.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HRHelp

I am running 3 free workshops May and June and attracting skilled migrants (and other job seekers) living in the South of Adelaide to attend to hear about all the free services available to help them. You may want to pm for info

Edited by noworriesmate

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jennet
Well I have completed my first assignment and I am waiting for it to be marked! Thank you to everyone that contributed on this thread.

I thought I would add the attached article as skilled migrants are still very much in the news.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4866[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4865[/ATTACH]

Good luck with the assignment

Guest AngPhil
I am running 3 free workshops May and June and attracting skilled migrants (and other job seekers) living in the South of Adelaide to attend to hear about all the free services available to help them. You may want to touch base with me 08 8322 8455

If you are running these again in August when we arrive we will definately be there.

Very interesting thread, it's been 50/50 for us. OH got job quickly although she had to side step a bit. I'm the main visa applicant, yet it's gone worse case pretty much. Don't take any notice of SOL list basicly, it's total rubbish. It may well be the work is more regional country locations. Adelaide isn't exactly flush with facilities for it's size and population, so I dread to think what country towns are like. We came on sponsored 176, so had to come to Adelaide, totally love Aus and keep pinching ourselfs to check its not a dream, all positive except my trade, which is why we're here, no way leaving Aus but I can see Adelaide and SA getting sacked sooner rather than later.

Guest Paula H
Very interesting thread, it's been 50/50 for us. OH got job quickly although she had to side step a bit. I'm the main visa applicant, yet it's gone worse case pretty much. Don't take any notice of SOL list basicly, it's total rubbish. It may well be the work is more regional country locations. Adelaide isn't exactly flush with facilities for it's size and population, so I dread to think what country towns are like. We came on sponsored 176, so had to come to Adelaide, totally love Aus and keep pinching ourselfs to check its not a dream, all positive except my trade, which is why we're here, no way leaving Aus but I can see Adelaide and SA getting sacked sooner rather than later.

What is your trade?

Guest Jennet

where do you think you may go??:idea:

Paula H, sorry its a secret, just doing my own thing now, if I mention it I just get loads of questions.

Jennet, our attitude and mind set has changed since arrival. We came with an open mind, and low expectations but were very serious in many respects. Now based on whats happened so far, we're in more of a 'take it for what it is' mood. It's just great to be out of the UK, and we're grateful to have this experience. When cashflow allows, we will take a serious look at Brisbane and Perth. We have decided today to change suburbs here as well, when current lease expires. Got to be worth a laugh.

Edited by keldaz
A fat cat in a hat sat on a mat.

Guest jaxndel

We moved here 7 months ago. I managed to land a job within about a month of being here. It turned out to be Formwork which although it paid well was not like the carpentry I was used to. A week ago they suddenly told me I had been made redundant. It was apparently last in first out but this wasn't quite true. It seems if you drink with the boss on the way home from work you secure your job for longer. I am not bitter just p'd off with the way they handled things with absolutely no warning.

I am now looking for Carpentry work. I have been a carpenter for 25 years and can do any kind of carpentry. If you know of anyone who needs a good carpenter please let me know.

Derek

• 2 weeks later...
Guest boesman
Hello All

Back in November 2008 I posted the thread below with an article attached from The Advertiser.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/jobs-careers/7014-newspaper-article-skilled-migrants-having-trouble-getting-jobs.html

I am now in the process of completing a qualification in Career Development and I have chose to use skilled migrants as my target group for my first assignment.

I am interested in skilled migrants opinions on what you feel are the issues faced by skilled migrants eg barriers to employment and any other issues you feel are relevant to making your new life a success or reasons why record numbers of migrants are returning to the UK, especially as 3.5 years has now passed since the article was printed. Is the article still applicable in April 2012 as it was in November 2008?

I would especially appreciate the input of the people who contributed to my initial thread to see how things are 3.5 years later and whether your views have changed.

Thank you

Can just agree with many posts on here. I don't understand why the goverment advertise shortages especially the trades when there are really not enough work!! We are very lucky to have got a contracting job, but even when we looked rurally there were just no work. I had lots of friends here in ADelaide who has now moved to other states after years here trying to find work and then they found work within a week in the other states. We love ADelaide, but if the work runs out we will be forced to move.

I can completely agree with your opions! It's not only a problem getting a job it's also a even greater problem to stay in your job! My hubbie lost his job last week, because he asks if he gets a contract. One day after his "stupid" question they sacked him! He's a qualified CNC Machinist. Employers expect more from Immigrants than from their own people, for example a forklift licence, than he should read drawings on a CAD basic. So what else?

Me to, having problems. I'm an admin clerk, looking for work nearly for 4 1/2 months. Nothing!!! I'm on two waiting-lists. That's the game they play here "waiting-lists" so called casual pools, because they have more people searching for work than work itself!!!

PLEASE NEW ARRIVALS BE CAREFUL WHERE YOU CHOOSE TO COME TO! ADELAIDE HAS A LACK OF JOB OPPORTUNITIES! IT'S ALL A LIE FROM THE SOUTH AUSTRALIEN GOVERNMENT! SKILL-LISTS ARE WORTHLESS!

If possible go to other states with more job opportunities.

Last but not least Adelaide is a beautiful city when you have a job. Lots of facilities and attractions. Cheaper than other cities.

But sorry folks, I'm too frustrated at the moment.

hi there,

I can sympathise with looking for work. It took me a couple of months and dozens of applications to get a job - with the South Australian Government - so I'll tell them what you think!!!!

Though I have taken a job that is below what I used to do i'm happy to get a job and be gaining experience.

It was hard writing applications every day for 2 months, attending interviews and coming close to getting a few jobs but not quite close enough. There is an art to applying for jobs here which may have already been mentioned but I'll tell you my experiences in case it helps anyone. I went to the Skills Recognition Services workshop on cv writing and it was a big help - I was sceptical thinking I knew all about applying for jobs and they couldn't teach me anything, but I learned a lot. The knack seems to be making your CV into a Resume and not looking English. I changed my email to a .com one, got my qualificatons recognised and changes the titles to match the Australian version and once I'd done that and a few other tweaks I started to get interviews through - says a lot doesn't it. I don't think its all about discrimination though as companies get that many CV's through they only look at each one for less than a minute and if they can't make sense of where you've worked or what qualifications you've got then it goes in the bin.

Personally, I found there to be lots more jobs available than when I was looking in England before we came here in January. But there is a lot of competition it seems so the application is the key.

Edited by Leccyman

It's not only a problem getting a job it's also a even greater problem to stay in your job! My hubbie lost his job last week, because he asks if he gets a contract. One day after his "stupid" question they sacked him.

Employers can be brutal over here and if you 'rock the boat' they will try to find a way to get rid of you. The 'rules' of working in Adelaide (in my opinion) are quite different to working in the UK and that can be hard for people to understand/adjust to, especially if you don't know what the 'rules' are when you are a new arrival.

hi there,

I can sympathise with looking for work. It took me a couple of months and dozens of applications to get a job - with the South Australian Government - so I'll tell them what you think!!!!

It was hard writing applications every day for 2 months, attending interviews and coming close to getting a few jobs but not quite close enough. There is an art to applying for jobs here which may have already been mentioned but I'll tell you my experiences in case it helps anyone. I went to the Skills Recognition Services workshop on cv writing and it was a big help - I was sceptical thinking I knew all about applying for jobs and they couldn't teach me anything, but I learned a lot. The knack seems to be making your CV into a Resume and not looking English. I changed my email to a .com one, got my qualificatons recognised and changes the titles to match the Australian version and once I'd done that and a few other tweaks I started to get interviews through - says a lot doesn't it. I don't think its all about discrimination though as companies get that many CV's through they only look at each one for less than a minute and if they can't make sense of where you've worked or what qualifications you've got then it goes in the bin.

Personally, I found there to be lots more jobs available than when I was looking in England before we came here in January. But there is a lot of competition it seems so the application is the key.

This is great advice and I too can sympathise with the frustrations of Rabeah. When we came 5 years ago, I was applying for all of these jobs and thinking why am I not getting anywhere, but now I have been here a while you see things differently and you understand why you did not get the jobs you applied for. I work in HR/recruitment and as you say employers will receive so many job applications they don't want to spend ages looking at them all when they have 200+ to go through.

It is good news to hear the SRS have stepped up their game. I must admit when we came in 2007 my dealings with them were terrible and they epitomised every stereotype about 'typical government workers' with their general lack of interest and professionalism.

We have just got back to Perth from visiting our family in Adelaide. The employment situation seemed as bad as it was when we left there in 1985. Both my daughter & her husband are looking for jobs. The large food s/mkt chain he works for do not sack you they cut your hours down so much that you virtually have no job. My daughter has been to many job agencies. The lady at the agency said she won't have a job herself soon if jobs don't come in!

Thanks a lot for your hints!

I've to state that I've already an Australian resume and an Australian cover letter. I did it before I arrived and got even help from TAFE SA to shape my resume in a perfect way. But it's worthless, when there are no jobs and as you say it's very competitive here. We've also Australian family in NSW for more than 30 years. They helped us with good advise and tips for settling and getting into the workforce.

But as you see they live in NSW, where the job situation seems different.

I even applied for "odd" jobs in supermarkets, Coles, Woolworths, Foodland, McDonalds, a kind of work I also gained experience in my old homecountry when I was a student not too long ago. But only rejection letters....:mad:it seems to me that all qualified people here in Adelaide want to secure any job, because too many qualified people were fired from their former jobs?

And then it is allowed to start jobs (for example McDonalds) with only 15 years! That's unbelievable that we as Migrants are even competing with kids, prohibited to work in such kind of environment in most of Western countries at that early stage of life.

My hubbie has had a lot of job interviews, that are good news. But like before coming close to the job but not close enough.

Thank you for your comfort. The new financial year is coming, so hope is still there!

Regards, Rabeah

Guest katsmajic

Unfortunately i can only agree with the negative comments being made...work wise i have been fine, in hospitality & training, working fulltime within government etc, however my hub HG has had too many jobs to count - hes a toolmaker/cnc etc...manufacturing is dire here and its not because he wont travel as hes worked in wingfield/northern burbs...hes currently a porter at flinders - because it helps pay the bills!

He's had numerous offers to move to Perth, im reluctant as our kids are settled here, oldest ones have their own lives here, he's tried the mines etc - its who you know not what you know though...oh for a ft permanent job for the hub...

Guest daysdownunder

The knack seems to be making your CV into a Resume and not looking English.

This so true, we applied for heaps of jobs, as soon as we took any reference to the UK off our resumes we started getting interviews.

Saying that if you get your head down, work hard and persevere you should be all right. We took 4 and 6 weeks to find jobs, both through recruitment consultants, so they are not all bad.