What to wear at interviews

Hello,

I have some recruitment agency interviews lined up in June ahead of our permanent move and its got me thinking - what is the accepted attire for recruitment and actual job interviews in Australia? I've always gone shirt, tie and jacket in the UK and assume the same, but I've actually never had a recruitment interview before.....

Thank you :)

Guest pixie7

Yep I'd stick with the shirt and tie approach- OH went to recruitment interviews dressed like that- Hays asked him to come as he would go an interview. Goodluck!

I would say dress to impress. I work as a HR Officer and recruit and would expect people to make an effort. Also if companies have dress codes it gives them an idea if you will fit in with their image.

My partner works in IT and he wears to interview his smart Marks and Spencers suit and smart Marks and Spencer trendy stripey shirt, he does not wear a tie but more because the shirt does not need it and he always looks very smart and 'looks the part' so to speak! Smart clothes are pretty expensive here say in comparison to the quality of clothes you would get say at Marks and Spencers or Next for a fraction of the price, so maybe look at bringing a few things out with you.

I interviewed 100+ people several months ago as part of a project and a couple of people turned up in t shirts and tracksuit bottoms and I was NOT impressed, where as others had come dressed in a suit or trousers and shirt and it told me they really wanted the job and had made an effort.

Another tip from an interviewer (me!!) is if you smoke, DON'T smoke before you go in for your interview. I know people are nervous, but believe me if you have smoked before you walk into an interview they will be able to smell it and it could put some people off, chewing gum does not disguise it! Also, have a shower before the interview (I know it sounds really obvious) but I have interviewed people and by the end of the interview we are nearly passing out from the smell!!

Guest maxfactornackerlacker
Another tip from an interviewer (me!!) is if you smoke, DON'T smoke before you go in for your interview. I know people are nervous, but believe me if you have smoked before you walk into an interview they will be able to smell it and it could put some people off, chewing gum does not disguise it! Also, have a shower before the interview (I know it sounds really obvious) but I have interviewed people and by the end of the interview we are nearly passing out from the smell!!

Tip - Don't smoke in the shower to disguise the smell either. It keeps going out and makes you late for the interview.

Sorry :smile:

Tip - Don't smoke in the shower to disguise the smell either. It keeps going out and makes you late for the interview.

Sorry :smile:

That is funny, although it might happen ha ha!!

You know what they say about life being stranger than fiction! I once interviewed a bloke (this was in the UK) and he came into the interview with his shopping bags, we reckon he had done his food shopping before he came for the interview!!

Also, have a shower before the interview (I know it sounds really obvious) but I have interviewed people and by the end of the interview we are nearly passing out from the smell!!

Good Lord! I would think that this is very obvious! If you want a job you have to make an effort to get it! Cleanliness is a beautiful part of life!