The Pill?

JoRed4

Guest Katangel

Make an appointment at your doctors and take in the packet you currently have and see if they have the same type. Not sure if its free though.

Just realised I am coming to the end of my supply that I brought with me from England; what is the story with the pill here?? In England you go to the doctor, get a prescription & it's free?

Stock up if you can while it is free!!!! I take Yasmin which I used to take in the UK and I paid $73 for 3 months worth for my last packet. It is an expense when you have been used to getting it free in the UK. There are other much cheaper brands such as Brenda, Diane etc, I tried Brenda and it did not suit me at all and I went back to Yasmin but I have friends that take it no problem. I take Yasmin for a specific medical reason so if you are using it purely as a contraceptive the cheaper ones may be fine.

Also, under extras cover with private health cover some pills are covered (yasmin is not under my health fund but is with others I have looked at) if you are taking them for a medical condition you can claim some money back for them, but you need a letter from your doctor to state you are taking it for a medical reason and not just as a contraceptive.

Hope this helps.

Cheers for all the responses... Really wish I had stocked up while we were in England :) Can you claim back money for the pill on medicare? I had to buy teething gel for my daughter the other day, are you able to claim back on medicines if you keep your receipts or does it not work like that?

There is some tax thing where if your medical bills exceed a certain amount (it might be $5k) in a year, you can claim back a percentage of anything over that amount against your tax.... keep receipts anyway. I know when I had my eyes lasered I was able to take advantage of this, but it was a few years ago now, so I can't remember the amounts!

I thinkl it might be on here http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?doc=/content/00251172.htm&page=11&H11

I used to go to any chemist to get my medication prescriptions filled but there are some chemists that are cheaper. I go to Chemist King - there are a few around and instead of paying approximately $24.00 I pay $14.00 for the same thing. I think there are other chain stores like that are likely to give you a similar deal.