Couple of shipping questions please

srg73

Still a while away although starting to prepare by shedding a few bits.

My main question is whether shipping companies have a weight limit for a container, 1 some of our furnishing are heavy but also we want to take our circa 5000 records with us too. 2, given the danger of heat to vinyl, we would likely ship over the winter months and therefore are the containers fully water tight?

Thanks. S

Guest Guest6899

My main question is whether shipping companies have a weight limit for a container, 1 some of our furnishing are heavy but also we want to take our circa 5000 records with us too. 2, given the danger of heat to vinyl, we would likely ship over the winter months and therefore are the containers fully water tight?

Thanks. S

As far as im aware its all done on size not weight.. the containers go through several different temperatures whilst coming here but cant comment if they are water tight.. maybe thats a question for them. we bought records and all ok.

Thanks. S

They are generally water tight but can be susceptible to mildew (hence some insurance companies don't provide mildew cover) but you should be OK for the weight. My suggestion would be to talk to the shippers you choose but also the insurance company you go with. On our sister/mother site Pomsinoz the MD of Insure Your Move regularly posts under the username IYM - it may be worth asking him for specific advice on this.

NWM

No problem with weight (amongst our stuff I shipped a full size mahogany billiard table - took four men to move each of the four pieces of slate, and that was with a struggle and much choice language. The whole thing then had to be crated to protect the slate.) You won't be able to avoid heat; winter in southern hemisphere is summer in northern, with a rather warm patch somewhere in the middle!

Jim

but also we want to take our circa 5000 records with us too. 2, given the danger of heat to vinyl, we would likely ship over the winter months and therefore are the containers fully water tight?

Thanks. S

Hi, I shipped quite a lot of vinyl, which arrived a few days ago. It was all in perfect condition. I put them in strong plastic boxes (reallyusefulproducts.com) and the shippers then wrapped the boxes aswell to even better protect them, so I don't think you'll have a problem.

Ian

Thanks for the replies, records will be in mdf boxes which I am going to build which can be stacked and sealed. Location would be SA and would try and have everything arrive in oz winter so heat is less of an issue. Alternative is to sell up but would need to start very soon as would break collection.

S