warning to plumber well its my opinion!!!!!!!!

Guest dalton

Guest John & Tracy

Hi

Hope you don't mind me contacting you, but do you do 'home visits' :)) for Air con units and if so, how much do you charge??

Ours is faulty, my husband and friend has had a look and think they might have found the problem, but need a 'professional' to confirm (also, I need one who will come and do the bloody job as I'm fed up of waiting for hubby to sort it :))

I'm new at this PIA website so not sure if i've posted this right......only one way to find out and that is if you reply to me lol!!!

Cheers from a rather hot & bothered desperate housewife & mother & worker :)))

Tracy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However there are big changes ahead which is going to make things a lot harder for migrant plumbers, more courses and lots more money, this has been down to one migrant plumber who has tried to shaft the system from day one!!!, i wont mention names but this Scotish father and son have ruined it for everyone including them selves, they tried every which way to get out of doing the courses and even got legal advisers to try and take on the TAFE. I feel for you guys coming over now as they are even talking about migrants having to complete the full apprenteship.

When will people learn that the Aussies will not put up with this!!! A few years ago there was a whole issue with international students, so they changed the rules, the other week the UK backpacker goes 'missing' in the outback after ignoring the advice from the station owners - their response "we will not be employing backpackers again", now the Government is looking at the 457 visas and tightening up on them.

I re-studied my HR and Training and Assessing qualifications (even though I have UK versions, but they were not AUSTRALIAN qualifications) at one point studying twice a week in the evenings while working full time and at a considerable cost. I didn't have to do this, but it soon became obvious to me (and again this is my personal experience and choice and may not be the same for everyone) that if I wanted to earn more money, keep myself as employable as possible and advance in my career this was the way to go. I can say I have never looked back.

Instead of people moaning and making a fuss about re-studying look at the positives. I met some great people who have become good friends, it is a great chance to network (what Adelaide is all about!), you will LEARN something, one of my trainers became my referee and it is an investment in my future - the highest paying jobs I have had have all asked for either one of both of the qualifications I studied.

Like I say some people get lucky and walk straight into a high paying job and never have to lift a finger, but then others have to really fight for it.

Plumbers don't and won't have to re do the whole apprenticeship in the future as someone has posted above. They have to do the 'gap' training as electricians do. Unfortunately for plumbers this Is a bit more as a plumbing UK cert 3 does not map across as closely as a electricians cert 3 so hence a bit more of a gap.

It still amazes me the amount of people who come over and do not realize they have to do the gap training when they get here and exactly what that training involves.

• 7 months later...
Guest Guest11535

I would just like to bump this thread, also if you are a plumber and coming across take the rose tinted glasses off and be prepared for a culture shock. Everything "The Dalton's" have posted on this thread can happen and could happen to any one coming over. There are a lot of UK plumbers over here labouring on sites and various other jobs but not doing their trade.

The Vetassess is only for migration purpose and I would advise that you should allow $3k for cert 3, and another $3-4k for cert 4 that's through the RPL system (recognised previous learning), the white card for site work is $100, and the provisional licence ( which you have to obtain before you are allowed on cert 3 course) is $415.

There is work out here for plumbers but it is VERY LIMITED. Please remember that you are also COMPETING AGAINST AUSTRALIAN PLUMBERS AND AUSTRALIAN APPRENTICES as well as other pom plumbers. As you may be classed as an experienced pom apprentice in the eyes of some employers, you may be treated the same as a "day 1 week 1" and be prepared to be given a hand shovel and asked to dig, dig, dig.

There are extra costs associated with working too, like driving licence, excavator tickets, dump truck tickets, confined space tickets, working at height tickets. Australian plumbing firms do ground works and all drainage too, so be prepared to have to complete a J-CAB front bucket course ($500+) You may be required to get these to secure a full time job with a company.

Good Luck and just be prepared for the worst, if you have a good quality of life in the UK, doing what you are doing, then have a long hard think about coming over, as you may not have a better quality of life over here.

Edited by Guest11535

Don't tradies do research before emigrating??? I recently spoke to an electrician,a young guy in his late 20's.He had done the usual backpacking thing round Oz,loved it,and now wants to move over.He assumed because he had a trade,time served and all that,that he could apply for the visa,move over and get on with life.When I suggested he take a look at the Poms in Oz sparkies post for further info,he got all defensive and grumpy!!!!!!