Living in Mount Barker

traygo

Hey everyone just a quick question for people living up in Mount Barker.. What is it really like up there eg schools, amenities etc? We have 3 children 17, 12 and 9 and we have been looking at property up in Mount Barker because the city is just too expensive for us and you seem to get more for your buck up there.

Thanks

Tracey

No replies?! Does that say something?!

Perhaps that no one who lives that way has seen this thread? Or not visited the forum lately to read and reply? :smile:

FWIW traygo, I used the forum search and turned up this thread where the area is mentioned. Page 1 and 2.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/renting-real-estate/33499-what-suburbs-should-we-avoid.html

Perhaps have a look in the Education forum and see if the schools there have been mentioned?

ETA - we may not have any current members living out there either. Doesn't mean it's awful just people prefer being closer to city/beach/ work or some such.

Edited by snifter

Hi Tracey

we are a family of 4 living in Mount Barker. We have 2 boys aged 11 and 8.

We love life in Mount Barker. It has lots of facilities including good schools (primary and secondary). It has an outdoor pool and a cinema. It's very easy commuting into the city with a train station and good buses.

our boys love it here and have made lots of friends. They are both making the most of the different sports clubs too.

and yes lots of affordable houses

We live near Mt B and it suits us. All the amenities you'd expect of a town are here, and there are plenty of other smaller hills towns to explore. Obviously there's a higher fire risk in summer than some places, but it's still not as high as plenty of others.

If you want to walk along a beach daily then it's not for you, but if you like great scenery and wildlife, then it's worth a look. There are 17 year olds around (I've even seen some with my own eyes ...) so they must find something to do, but it might not be the first choice for many teenagers - I'd say that and the commute into the city (if that's applicable) are probably the main downsides.

Oh, and not getting a reply on this for a whole day(!) doesn't suggest anything about the place - sad that someone would hint that it does, but that's people for you!

Jim

Oh, and not getting a reply on this for a whole day(!) doesn't suggest anything about the place - sad that someone would hint that it does, but that's people for you!

It probably just means that all those who live in Mount Barker are either (a) out having a good time and not sitting indoors on the computer, or (b) trying to keep a good thing to themselves!

Definitely check the place out when you get over here - Mount Barker is a place that's grown a lot in the past few years (couldn't believe how many new houses there were when we drove up the freeway just before Christmas) which has plusses and minusses: the plusses are that there are lots of new houses and also new families moving into the area - and imho people that have moved into an area rather than lived there all their lives are the ones that are most open to new friendships (obviously some exceptions, but that's what I've found); the minusses are that sometimes it takes the infrastructure a while to catch up, and I know this was a concern when the initial development plans for Mount Barker were first discussed a couple of years ago. A pretty easy commute down into the city too on one of the few 'proper' roads in South Australia!

I was really interested to read any replies to this one, and normally "places to live" topics go off like rockets, so it was just a tongue in cheek comment to bump it. No offence intended.

We've just done our first 6 months here in lovely South Oz and are now looking at a longer term future in Adelaide and as we are town folk rather than city folk, Mt Barker is a possible contender for an eventual house purchase. Good to hear the commute is not too bad, as I'm working in the CBD.

Hi all, thanks for the feed back, after living here for a couple of years we have had the feel of the city life, now ready to explore the outside. mount Barker is a possibility for us as it is yet only 30 minutes to comute to the city...and 35 to Glenelg Beach...Good to hear possitive feedback, as speaking to those in the city there isn't much of a possitive comment.

tracey