Just getting started....so Hello!

tomamylancaster

Hi everyone,

We've just joined this forum, although have been reading it for a good few months now & I am amazed at the information I have got from all you guys, so thank you

So, seen as we about to start the process I thought I'd introduce us!

I'm Amy (29) & my partner Tom (30), our 2 boys Oliver (5) & Harry (2). Tom's a mechanic & we're applying for a State Sponsored Visa under his qualifications.

It's going to be a long, hard & I imagine at times stressful journey, but we're all looking forward to what's to come & fingers crossed, a couple of years down the line & we'll be in Australia!

We're looking at the Adelaide Hills, but who knows, things could change between now & then, & of course, it depends where Tom could get work!!!

Looking forward to 'meeting' you all over the next months & years :smile:

Hi everyone,

We've just joined this forum, although have been reading it for a good few months now & I am amazed at the information I have got from all you guys, so thank you

So, seen as we about to start the process I thought I'd introduce us!

I'm Amy (29) & my partner Tom (30), our 2 boys Oliver (5) & Harry (2). Tom's a mechanic & we're applying for a State Sponsored Visa under his qualifications.

It's going to be a long, hard & I imagine at times stressful journey, but we're all looking forward to what's to come & fingers crossed, a couple of years down the line & we'll be in Australia!

We're looking at the Adelaide Hills, but who knows, things could change between now & then, & of course, it depends where Tom could get work!!!

Looking forward to 'meeting' you all over the next months & years :smile:

Welcome to PIO!! Yes it is a long & sometimes stressfull process but hey it will be all worth it!

Were heading out in August, were in desperate need of some sunshine! :-)

Good Luck with your Visa Journey!!

P.s Adelaide Hills are gorgeous!

Nat x

Guest Ross Dymond

Welcome, good luck with everything ahead, it's worth all the effort.

Be sure to let us all know how you get on, good mechanics as never short of work here. At least all the ones I know anyway :)

Welcome to PIO!! Yes it is a long & sometimes stressfull process but hey it will be all worth it!

Were heading out in August' date=' were in desperate need of some sunshine! :-)

Good Luck with your Visa Journey!!

P.s Adelaide Hills are gorgeous!

Nat x[/quote']

Always good to know Ross =) Fingers crossed there'd be no problem getting work! Although, who knows how things will pan out between now & when we get there, if we eventually make it!

Nat - jealous you're heading over this year! Excitement is high at the minute....we keep having total EEK moments & wondering what on earth we are doing, but deep down we know it'll all be worth it =)

Glad to hear the hills are gorgeous - we've wandered around for miles & miles courtesy of Google Maps! I realise it's not a patch on being there, but it certainly gives you an idea of what to expect! Where abouts are you heading?

Amy x

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Exciting times ahead.

Have you been to Adelaide (or South Australia) before? Or are you heading here based on research and the state/city/area appeals? Personally I think Adelaide and the surrounding area is lovely and it appeals to me (and luckily its where my hubby is from).

Always good to know Ross =) Fingers crossed there'd be no problem getting work! Although, who knows how things will pan out between now & when we get there, if we eventually make it!

Nat - jealous you're heading over this year! Excitement is high at the minute....we keep having total EEK moments & wondering what on earth we are doing, but deep down we know it'll all be worth it =)

Glad to hear the hills are gorgeous - we've wandered around for miles & miles courtesy of Google Maps! I realise it's not a patch on being there, but it certainly gives you an idea of what to expect! Where abouts are you heading?

Amy x

Hi Amy - Its been a long time coming so yes we can finally say 'We are going soon!!! So excited! :jiggy: We have been to Adelaide before so we know a few areas and we too courtesy of Google Earth have been familiarizing ourselves with all the suburbs. We quite fancy the western suburbs of Adelaide so we are close to the city and beach. We are going to to stay in a hotel for a few weeks whilst we sort out a long term rental and everything else! Its going to be a couple of crazy months!!

So what made you go for the big move? Have you visited Australia before?

Nat x

Neither of us have ever been - which probably makes us totally stupid! But we're going to jump right in with both feet - life would be boring without adventure right?!

We've talked about it for a while, but have always been held back because Tom has a business here, which was passed down to him by his dad (who is now semi-retired & has emigrated to France!) which we'd sell, but one day while watching Wanted Down Under we just thought why not! & ever since then we've kind of thought...if we don't do it now, while the kids are young, we probably never will & we'd probably end up regretting it. So we at least have to give it a try.

We actually looked at Queensland initially - no particular reason other than it seemed to be where everyone went! & then after researching, we looked at Perth & then when we discovered Adelaide & did some research, everywhere else just didn't match up. & then we watched some more Wanted Down Under & one of them featured the Hills - we were hooked. Neither of us are beach lovers, & although we would love some sunshine, we both like the seasons in England.

We're pretty level headed (although I'm a bit more in the clouds than Tom!), but generally, we don't expect to be financially better off, we don't expect to have a bigger, or even the same size, house as what we have in England but that doesn't bother us in the slightest. It's the outdoor lifestyle, the adventure & hopefully, a less stressful job for Tom that is pulling us!

Hi there and welcome to a fantastic roller coaster ride!

We will have been here 3 years this May and WE LOVE IT! Like you we had never even visited Australia before we emigrated, but we got fantastic advice and tips from this forum and also the Internet in general. Share your highs and lows on here, support is amazing.

We 'walked' the streets using google maps and google earth! And had a good idea of where we wanted to be located before we arrived.

Wishing you all the best on your journey, hold on and enjoy the ride........it's worth it! :jiggy:

Guest weshardy5

Hi there ,

got a notification off you, we are in colne and well along the road to getting out there. Just need house to sell.

Any info you want let us know. Maybe we could meet up for a drink and chat at some point seeing as your round the corner.

We are going to the meet up on Sunday to try and make a few friends along the way .

anyhow. Bye for now and any questions we would be happy to help .

wes

Guest pizzicarella

Hi there, and welcome!

The Adelaide hills are a nice place. After spending most of my life in the eastern suburbs, my family and I have made a 'tree change' to the hills in 2010. My dad - ever the englishman - says that being in the hills reminds him of being in the UK. And, now that I am here I am realising that LOTS of people from the UK choose to live in the hills. A milder climate and beautiful scenery are probably the reasons!! (Personally, I do not like it... the winters are too cold ;) )

A word of warning (and this is not a bad thing) - the adelaide hills are considered a separate region of south australia to adelaide, and there is a perception that "the hills are so far away. This is untrue. The towns of Crafers, Stirling, Aldgate and Bridgewater are all very close to the city - even in peak hour traffic it only takes about 30 minutes to stirling (crafers is a bit closer.. aldgate and bridgie a bit further.). By public transport these towns are about 30-45 minutes away. Futher out are towns like Hahndorf, Littlehampton, Lobethal and Mt. Barker - but they are not much further. Other towns may be more remote, but these ones are all linked to the south eastern freeway and are very easy to get to.

It is a nice place to live and it is fairly convenient - so if your husband can get a job that lets him work in the hills or even in the cbd or eastern suburbs definitely consider it.

Feel free to PM me if you need more info.

Good luck with your visa applications!