whinge whinge

Guest Guest5035

Well I am a born and bred Aussie to Greek immigrant parents.....and I like to eat Greek food sometimes. I like a lot of other foods too - that's the beauty of living in Oz is that you get to sample what you like. The only true Oz food is witchity grubs and for those who like to eat our Aussie native animals....with the exception of chocolate Bilbies I personally wouldn't go there.

I was going t osay that too in my first post! the only true aussie food is stuff like bush tomatoes (ummm interesting taste) and witchety grubs. Mmmm I think I will settle for imported recipes, from pretty much anywhere in the world unless they involve offal. :)

When I asked about cream back in January my point was that I was looking for that - just pure cream, a by-product of milk production. Just because I'd like cream to not have thickeners added, or no water in my butter or permeates in my milk or gelatine in my yoghurt and ice-cream doesn't mean I've come here looking to make a new Little Britian - it means I'm looking for pure foods (and I know that cream/butter etc aren't exactly high on the good-for-you list) and that is something that is really quite lacking here in a developed nation. Food provenance and animal welfare don't appear to be too high on many supermarket agendas. But there are some great markets out there that I'm just beginning to discover.

All I would say is cook food in the style you want, greek, british, italian, aussie - but use local produce for the most part - that's my take on being in Australia, you move here, support the local economy as much as you can. I think the fruit, vegetables and meat tastes better overall anyway.

Totally agree.

There will always be something you miss from the old home country but you will probably have to learn to live with it unless you plan to take your holidays back in the UK and pig out on all your favourites while you're there!

Guest vikkiann

Are you sitting back and laughing at what you've started Steve?

I am!

Cream ... Can't really comment on that.

A decent roast ... No roast is ever as good as 1 you cook yourself.

Just my opinion though :rolleyes:

When I asked about cream back in January my point was that I was looking for that - just pure cream, a by-product of milk production. Just because I'd like cream to not have thickeners added, or no water in my butter or permeates in my milk or gelatine in my yoghurt and ice-cream doesn't mean I've come here looking to make a new Little Britian - it means I'm looking for pure foods (and I know that cream/butter etc aren't exactly high on the good-for-you list) and that is something that is really quite lacking here in a developed nation. Food provenance and animal welfare don't appear to be too high on many supermarket agendas. But there are some great markets out there that I'm just beginning to discover.

At least they aren't adding Shergar to their beef burgers......

...(and I know that cream/butter etc aren't exactly high on the good-for-you list) ....

Get hold of a book that's just out called Toxic Oil (I think the author is Roger Gillespie or something similar) and you will feel a lot happier about eating cream and butter (and a lot unhappier about eating polyunsaturates, but hey!!)

• 1 month later...
Guest NewInOz

I am beginning to think some people only come onto the Poms in Adelaide forum to snipe at anyone and everyone and generally contribute nothing to any conversation other than negativity. You can get a good Sunday roast at the Seaford Hotel which as you might expect is in Seaford.

I am beginning to think some people only come onto the Poms in Adelaide forum to snipe at anyone and everyone and generally contribute nothing to any conversation other than negativity. You can get a good Sunday roast at the Seaford Hotel which as you might expect is in Seaford.

Sorry mate but I am gonna have to come straight in and disagree with you there, Seaford Hotel is not technically in Seaford.

(JOKING!)

The only true Oz food is witchity grubs and for those who like to eat our Aussie native animals....with the exception of chocolate Bilbies I personally wouldn't go there.

There are a few other Aussie food icons Barramundi, Balmain Bugs, Kangaroo, Emu and their eggs, Pie Floaters, Chiko Rolls, Sao Biscuits, Tim Tams, Fantales, Pavlova, Lamingtons, Anzac Biscuits, Macadamia Nuts and Vegemite off the top of my head.

Most hotels serve a good Sunday Roast, not too sure what the difference is between Australian and British is though. In saying that Australia's most recognised roast is a Leg of Lamb.

Vive la difference

Guest Chris_J

Flossybeth, not sure of your post about milk or if anyone answered but THE best milk is Flurieu Jersey milk, excuse the spelling. It's expensive at nearly $5 for 4 litres but its not homogenised and permeate free I think. Next best is a Paris Creek one in a purple bottle and a little cheaper. Tis very difficult to get single cream.....