Guest Stevie A

457 query medicals and police check

Guest Stevie A

Coming over on my wife's 457 , do we all need medicals and do I also need a police check?

Thank you in advance

​S

Guest The Bells

Hi Stevie

unless your working with children or health service you don't need a medical, plus no police checks on a 457.

well they didnt check us lol !!

​emma

Guest adlyn2012

Hi

I am the main applicant for the visa on 457 and I have been told we all need a medical. I think it will be needed for health insurance? Not 100% sure.

​Adlyn

Hi Stevie

unless your working with children or health service you don't need a medical, plus no police checks on a 457.

well they didnt check us lol !!

​emma

Are you sure about that? When my husband got a 457 in 2004 he needed both medical and police checks... not sure about family requirements as me and the kids had dual nationality, but HE certainly needed them

we've just come over December and didn't need medicals or police checks, just had to send them confirmation that we had medical cover with BUPA, we are going to need them for the PR when we apply so you might be able to get them done and use them for that

Debbie

They've obviously changed since we did it then :biggrin: Come to think of it, private medical cover wasn't a requirement then either so that's probably why.

Hi There,

You won't need any unless your employer has asked I came over in april last year with no problems.

Good luck

Gary

Guest guest12341

I've just come across on a 457 as an engineer and didn't need a medical. My wife is a nurse and did require a medical even though she was not the main applicant.. You will definitely need police checks done. Regards the Health insurance, we came across on travel insurance and registered with Medicare as soon as we arrived and didn't need to take out costly 457 compliant health insurance. Don't get caught with that as it is a rip off. Once on Medicare there are much cheaper health insurance options

Guest jonny no cash

We had to have medicals and take out private health insurance before we came,for PR we had to have the medicals all over again and both UK and Australian police checks,we have kept the private health insurance going in case we need it for ambulance cover etc

Guest Ryan T. Lion

As of my experiences in November 2011, coming from the UK on a 457 visa you do NOT need private medical insurance.

When my 457 visa sponsorship was transferred due to moving companies here (in Nov '11), I was assigned a Migration Solicitor (?????????) from a VERY well known migration agency in Melbourne. She wrote to me saying the only thing left to approve the sponsorship was proof of private health insurance. "Cod sh*t" I said, and sent her a link to the 457 visa FAQ's which states you don't need private medical cover if you can qualify for reciprocal healthcare (Medicare) - which UK citizens certainly do. "Oh, yeah...... OK then" she said. Solicitor. Migration. Expert. Qualified professional.

We arrived in August 2011 and used one way travel insurance, then as soon as we got here applied for free reciprocal medicare cover and took out ambulance insurance. All sorted.

Motto: No matter how qualified someone claims to be - always take the time to check the facts yourself.

You would not believe how many times a 'professional' down here has told us something only for us to quickly check the facts and prove them wrong. I couldn't care less if it annoys them - they're paid to know their job and in nearly 2 years of being here we've yet to deal with one that does.

Guest Ryan T. Lion

Shazam - some sort of proof. This was sent on 27th Oct 2011.

I must admit the DIAC website doesn't seem to mention an exception for 457 visa holders now - but I've never been sent anything by either my sponsor or the DIAC to say I need insurance.

Leaving in a few weeks anyway :-)

visa capture.jpg