Adelaide ranked 5th most liveable city in the world

Admin

The Economist Intelligence Unit has just released the results of its annual 'Global Livability Survey'.

140 cities worldwide were surveyed under five categories:

• stability
  • healthcare
  • culture and environment
  • education
  • infrastructure.

Scores in each category and sub-category are compiled and weighted to give a total out of 100. 100 is considered ideal and 1 intolerable.

The top cities and indeed much of the rankings remained similar to last year, with Australian and New Zealand cities landing five of the top 10 spots. Canadian cities made up another three of the top 10 positions.

Top 10 most livable cities (unchanged in 2013 from 2012):

1 Melbourne, Australia, 97.5

2 Vienna, Austria, 97.4

3 Vancouver, Canada, 97.3

4 Toronto, Canada, 97.2

5 Calgary, Canada, 96.6

5 Adelaide, Australia, 96.6

7 Sydney, Australia, 96.1

8 Helsinki, Finland, 96.0

9 Perth, Australia, 95.9

10 Auckland, New Zealand, 95.7

Hi Burgess family, just noticed you are from Seaford Meadows I have also been looking at houses there, they seem lovely can you tell me what it is like there and suitable for a family of 4, children 16 & 13, me & hubby in 40's, hoping to move over within next 6 months or so.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Bal.

Guest BurgessFamily
Hi Burgess family, just noticed you are from Seaford Meadows I have also been looking at houses there, they seem lovely can you tell me what it is like there and suitable for a family of 4, children 16 & 13, me & hubby in 40's, hoping to move over within next 6 months or so.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Bal.

It's not a bad area, and a reasonable new-ish estate. You're pretty close to several beaches too and lots of nice little parks with climbing frames and swings. Only really negative is that it's a fair distance from the city, especially with no train line and the one-way express being upgraded.

With regards to housing, there are many 4 bedroom houses, but the block of land they sit on varies quite a bit. The one we are in has a good size back yard, but we have seen several you can't fit much in at the back (like a trampoline for the kids etc..) - you can touch the back fence by leaning our the back door.

Not another survey! These lists seem to come out every few months! I suppose it keeps the world's statistics graduates in a job. Apparently this survey originated "as a means of testing whether Human Resource Departments needed to assign a hardship allowance as part of expatriate relocation packages."

I too can't see how Adelaide did well on infrastructure though.....

Hi Burgess Family,

Yes that is what I thought, although I am not a huge fan of gardening I would like to be able sit in garden and also entertain friends too!! Thanks you so much for your reply a very fair answer.

I think something 5-10 years old will have a bit more garden and suit us better.

Bal

This interesting article explains these statistics pretty well. Not so much a problem with what was measured, but the reporting in the media takes it out of context - it isn't meant for permanent residency.

http://indaily.com.au/design/2013/09/03/does-australia-really-have-the-worlds-most-liveable-cities/

The most telling part for me is the line 'It doesn’t take account of the cost of living for permanent residents or key issues like job opportunities and housing affordability.' :wacko:

So, if you can 'live' without needing to look for a job, pay bills or rent/buy a house, it's quite a useful survey ...