Guest Scottish Dreamer

Child Care

Guest Scottish Dreamer

Hi,

This is my first post so hopefully you"ll all be very gentle with me! We hope to move as a family to SA in the next few weeks. I am being sponsored by my employer and my husband will be initially settling our two children ( 10 and 9 years old) into school before looking for work as a Graphic Designer in Adelaide.

I have a few concerns though that I hope someone will be kind enough to help with. We will both need to work full time and I'm concerned about child care after school and in the school holidays. How does everyone manage without the help of family and friends? Are there after school clubs and holiday clubs and if so are they very expensive? This is a huge issue for us as a family and is the only way for us to live in Oz and I feel very guilt as I've only worked part time in the past in the UK. Any information would be much appreciated as we have to make this work as a family.

:confused:

Most primary schools offer an OSHC ( Out Of School Hours Care) not sure of the cost but I think it varies from school to school. There is also Vacation Care at the school where usually the kids get to do some pretty cool things

We both work full time and my kids go to the Out of School Hours Care at the local school. They have loads of different activities on and during the holidays each Tuesday and Thursday is an excursion day where they go off to the movies, bowling, ice skating, rock climbing etc. It's open from 7am to 6:15pm, covering before and after school in term time, and it's open on pupil free days (like inset days) as well. As above costs vary depending on the centre, but we pay $19 for after school care, $42 for a non excursion full day and $49 for an excursion day. If you know what school your kids are going to be going to have a look at the school website and see if there is a section for the OSHC. The should have most of the information you need.

Welcome to the forum! If your employer is sponsoring for a permanent visa (probably not, but worth mentioning) then there is the child care rebate too. :-)

Guest Scottish Dreamer

Thank you for all the very helpful advice, I'll carry on with my research.

Loving Poms In Adelaide site!!