Looking for part time/full time/casual/contract admin work

Guest CazSky

Hi All,

I have been here a few months now and have not had much luck finding work. I expected it to be like that before Xmas but it doesn't seem to have picked up at all. I've registered with agencies, submitted my CV directly to places but have had nothing - not even temp work. I'm here on a working holiday visa so that may have something to do with it as it has restrictions on the length of time I can work for one employer which may be off putting for longer term positions. Not really sure what else to do. I have moved here to be with my partner so expect to be located in Adelaide for the foreseeable future. My experience is as an office manager in a customer service focused environment back home. I have had good feedback regarding my CV but nothing seems to go any further. Any suggestions welcome!

Guest Claire-n-tel

You could try waitressing, fruit picking, and other jobs that are common with backpackers if you don't mind what you do?.....Maybe have a look in some local backpackers at the notice boards for vacancies?

I'd think it's the WHV. If you look for casual work you may have more luck but many places won't want someone who can only work for 6 months before having to leave. And if they are not able to sponsor you (I am not sure if your professions is on the list) then it's a bit of a dead end for them really. Of course, some might only want a 6 month contract but then you are competing with the locals in the job market.

It's a tough one.

I'd look for more casual work, not ideal but it would be something. Hopefully if you gain a visa with unrestricted work rights you'll have more luck. I'd also look to volunteering as a way to get references and for something to do.

If your just happy with a bit to hold you over for now try pinnacle people, they are a hospitality agency based on grenfell street and always looking for people. I worked for them here and in Qld. Shifts are a bit hit and miss especially at first but it's decent money. It's mainly waiting/function work and if you get a RSA then Bar work too. All you really need, is to be able to do is hold 2/3 plates of food and they'll ask to to fill in a questionnaire about service. It's all pretty straightforward. They ask for experience but just make some up from back home if you don't have any. I had loads but made it up for my partner and we both got a fair bit of work while we were struggling to get decent regular work. Hope it helps!

Guest Guest12727
Pester the life out of the agencies you've signed up with. They don't chase you - you have to chase them! Not sure which ones you've signed up with but after signing up with about 5 I finally got my break through Hays Recruitment. They were good - enjoyed my work through them. Good luck.

Wendy

I second this. Agencies don't seem to put forward people registered with them for jobs, unless you contact the agency and say you would like to be put forward. So keep looking at Seek and Careerone every day and if a job is advertised by an agency you are registered with, contact your agent and get them to put your name forward. Don't ever assume they will be doing this automatically.......crazy / inefficient system!!

Thanks everyone for your tips! Really appreciate all your advice. I have a few ideas of avenues to pursue now, I think I'm just going to have to keep ploughing away looking for that elusive perfect job vacancy which fits my restrictions and experience and in the mean time pick up any work I can find. I'll keep pestering the agencies - as you're right I presumed they would be putting me forward for jobs! I've given the ones I have signed up with a few follow up calls but probably not nearly enough....

Thanks again