Fotherespie

To ship or not to ship...

Hello everyone,

I'm in dire need of some advice on this issue. We're due to come out at the start of June, we have some worked lined up but money will be tight for a little while due to all the initial outlay. We have a 5 week house sit arranged at first and then well be looking for a 2 or 3 bed place. What I'm really torn about is weather we should ship our stuff (which is a sofa, kitchen stuff, surf boards and personal effects) quote of 2 and a half grand, or rebuy? Were leaving our UK place furnished and renting out so leaving much furniture there. For the quote we've had I'm wondering if we should just start again and beg and borrow a little. I've heard emirates will let the baggage limit be increased if emigrating so wondered about packing as much as humanly possible that way. Any thoughts would be really, really appreciated.

Personally I just came over with my 20kg of luggage and a hand bag. We did ship the dog though. ;)

Back then it was a HUGE shock when I got here as prices had gone up a lot since I had last been here. White goods were nowhere near the quality of in the UK, even if you paid more. The only thing we found cheaper was TV's oddly. Even down to bedding, it was all so expensive.

Things have improved in the last 6 years since I got here though, with both price and quality. Personally, I'd have a look at places like Harvey Norman's website etc and see what you think of the prices. It's often all the little bits which you don't think about like kitchen bits which add up, but you might be leaving them anyway.

Hi Blossom, thanks for your reply, I'll have a look at that site. We will be visiting the UK at Christmas so I did wonder about holding off then seeing if we want to ship at that stage. I wonder if anyone has done that?

Have you looked into a MoveCube? You could probably fit all that in a large one (if sofa not huge or if it comes apart. We got loads in one including a KS bed. Much cheaper too. About half the price. Or ditch the sofa and send less and get a smaller one and save again.

Guest Guest12727

Also look on Gumtree.com.au under house and garden, location Adelaide region. You can pick up some good stuff on there that may tide you over until you return to UK and make the decision on whether or not to ship.

Also you may find that your stuff just doesn't suit the house you get here, for example, your sofas may be too large, too small etc, I would wait to ship, you can pick up tide over goods cheaply and borrow other things.