Blossom

Blimey it's cold!

And its not even winter yet, Seams to get colder each year had the wood burner on for the last two nights looks like it will be on from now till end of winter.

We still have windows open in this house! Not my choice I can tell you :nah: Not a sniff of heating here either so am making do with an extra layer and warmer socks :)

I find it pretty mild when out and about but colder in the house. Same as some of my UK houses so well used to it :skeptical: I only had central heating in the last 2 houses I lived in there. Thats a lot of years in houses with none. Yay for woodburners.

Roll on 2 weeks as all being well, we move then and have a lovely gas fire and gas heater :)

Yes, out in the sun in lovely. It's just in the house or shade it's cold. I've just put the heating on, hopefully it will work, but it's through the reverse cycle air con so no doubt we'll have a massive bill.

Guest Guest12727
    I think I'm going to have to put the heating on for the first time this year today. Brrrrrrrr!

You've done well. We've had ours on the odd evening for weeks, but certainly had the fire roaring the last couple of nights.

This thread comes out each year, it makes me laugh. In 6 months the blimey it's hot one will appear.

Seasons, they are great, it goes from hot to cold.

:biglaugh:

Guest Guest12727

Apart from Snifter, would anyone really have not had their heating on in UK when it was 7 degrees? I hate being cold, so no matter where I am will always heat the house in cold weather.

Apart from Snifter, would anyone really have not had their heating on in UK when it was 7 degrees? I hate being cold, so no matter where I am will always heat the house in cold weather.

I would have had it on in the UK when 7c outside. I lived in a number houses without it so had no choice then.

I would have had it on in the UK when 7c outside. I lived in a number houses without it so had no choice then.

I lived in a house with no upstairs heating and just those useless electric storage heaters down stairs, which were cold by evening. We had one of those old fashioned portable gas fires. Omg, can you get those here? I want one! Lol.

Yes, that's the ones! Funnily I'm from Cambridgeshire. They must be especially popular there ha ha. When I was a baby I was crawling around and backed right into one and burnt all my bum. Luckily no scars lol.

When I changed the beds yesterday I put the flannelette covers on :) and we've had the woodburner on once; more for the fun of it and seeing just how well it warms the house. It did well so we should be snuggly.

After looking in brouchures at new woodburners I think the grille on top of our woodburner is a cooking grille but I'm not sure how efficient it will be at cooking - are they more for keeping food warm (say I made a casserole on the hob and then put it on top of the fire to let it slow cook) rather than expecting it be hot enough to boil water?

Guest Guest12727
    When I changed the beds yesterday I put the flannelette covers on :) and we've had the woodburner on once; more for the fun of it and seeing just how well it warms the house. It did well so we should be snuggly.

After looking in brouchures at new woodburners I think the grille on top of our woodburner is a cooking grille but I'm not sure how efficient it will be at cooking - are they more for keeping food warm (say I made a casserole on the hob and then put it on top of the fire to let it slow cook) rather than expecting it be hot enough to boil water?

I had never thought of trying that. I just use it to warm the plates - saves putting the oven on.

I have cooked jacket potatoes and roast pumpkin in the coals though - yum. Wrap them in foil to keep the ask off.

I had never thought of trying that. I just use it to warm the plates - saves putting the oven on.

I have cooked jacket potatoes and roast pumpkin in the coals though - yum. Wrap them in foil to keep the ask off.

I used to slow cook on one of my old woodburners with a plate on top for pans. You need to keep them going a while obviously and you can only really do the simmering aspect but it does work. You'll need something like a cast iron casserole pan for it. I used to get my fire going, bank it up and then once it was settled down to slowly smoulder for the evening I'd set the pan on top.