Nairnandtain

Private landlords

Hi, looking for a bit of advice.... We have been in our new rental for 3 months, paid a $3000 bond which was painful!! We have since Heard through the grapevine that our landlady ( we are not using an agent) has taken most of her tenants to tribunal for one reason or another. The tenant before us is still in dispute, apparently over a stained carpet, and hasn't got any of her bond back.

Just wondering if we can note our concerns with anyone now in the event of a dispute when we leave? Could not bear to lose $3k.

thanks

shelley.

First off, have they paid your bond to the bond people or has she just pocketed it? By law she has to lodge it and the tribunal has the last say. By the sounds of it they normally side with the tenant, especially if they know the landlord which it sounds like they would.

She has paid it to the bond people, we have received an official receipt, thankfully! Maybe I'm just panicking! Even the thought of not getting the bond back is stressing me out, we are tidy and take care of the house but have 3 kids and I now feel I'm walking on egg shells round the house!

shelley.

If she does try it you can contest it. Anything that is considered wear and tare (sp?) they won't award her.

There are some terrible landlords and agents out there, but after phoning about one I had it seems their names are well known most of the time.

I'd take lots of before photos before even moving in that are date stamped so you can show what is what hopefully if ever needed.

Take lots now though I reckon.

You could even report any issues (no matter how small) now to cover yourselves against any claims against the bond. She can only legitimately claim if she can prove the damage was done by you i.e you signed an inspection sheet noting certain things were good etc when you moved in.