Unemployment UK v South Australia

Anne B

I concur where you come from may be an influencing factor.I come from Manchester and went back for a good while a few yrs back and can see the picture isnt as rosy.My own personal experience is that all of my family and friends are still doing well and their kids are securing jobs following uni and part time jobs to see them through both college and uni.

Sadly for a lot of people here the sun is brighter, but for many deciding to "go for it"has been financial suicide.

I know people here who have had to sell their homes to fund medical treatment, i believe that it is becoming more like America everyday,especially in a health sense and that worries me.I know the NHS is struggling,but here healthcare costs are a real burden if you cant afford private healthcare and even then it is not without its issues.

Try waiting for over 2 yrs for a vital op when you are a tradie,hideous.

Our daughter may well consider returning to the UK as there are better opportunities there for her,would all our sacrifices have then been worth it......not so sure on that one.

Good intentions are not always rewarded sadly.

Sue

That's not quite what I said.

I maintain that people with the right skills, experience and attitude have a good chance of finding a job here or the uk. I've found it easier to get work here than the Uk, others may find it harder and there are always exceptions. There are no guarantees and for you to misquote in that way is just typical of the negative attitude I have seen in several posts on here - the thread re stopping more migrants being a perfect example.

It is exactly what you said...and above you have said it again! Yes, obviously to get a job anywhere you need a good attitude, but unemployment in South Australia is very high, jobs are extremely hard to find - even for those that have been here a while - and by all accounts, certainly in the area in the UK I came from (Essex) there is a lot more work around there than there is here. As a family, we are considering my husband going back to England where he could get loads of work while I stay here until our son hs finished school (husband is an engineer and project manager with experience in corporate and government work, so not unskilled, or unexperienced, and no bad attitude I can assure you) if he doesn't find something here.

I see you have only been in South Australia for about six months and as other posters have said, the initial honeymoon period of summer days on the beach, and bright blue winter skies, are a big influencing factor on how happy and positive you feel here. We've been here 10 years in August - I am lucky enough to have two (part time, casual) jobs but when it's quiet I don't get the hours, if I'm sick I don't get paid, I don't get paid holiday etc. We have savings we can fall back on, no young kids and no mortgage (mainly due to the property we sold in the UK before downsizing here) but for a family coming over who need a safe and secure job, regular and reliable income and a security net of paid sick leave if the worst happens, then Adelaide is NOT an easy place to find a job generally, whatever your own, brief experience.

With your "I'm alright, Jack" attitude you are ignoring published statistics and others' experiences and - as I said - insulting those who are not having it quite as cushy as you are!

OMG!!! Now I am truly afraid!! if such is the situation in Adelaide, then will it be wise for me to leave my current, mid-echelon job here and jump into nothingness? if even casual jobs are that much hard to come by, how could we survive?

Casual unskilled work is probably not so bad here - if you don't need to support a family, can manage between contracts with no money coming in, and don't get sick then you are probably ok!

Hi Sue

I do so agree with your views of unemployment. We arrived here just over 3 years ago from the UK and my 22 year old son has been trying to gain an apprenticeship since then. Rather than dole bludge he went back to TAFE and now has 5 Cert 2s in various trade skills plus he completed some trade courses in the UK as well. He has had a couple of interviews in the last 6 months since his last course finished but no job as yet. Many of his friends are in the same position. It is very disheartening for him and he is looking for work every day, and he has to keep meticulous records of his job searches and results to satisfy Centrelink. We paid for him to get a fork lift licence to maximise his chances and he has just renewed his police check as well.

He has cold called employers but none are willing to take people on in this economic climate. One employer even asked my son to do 6 months unpaid work experience for him, and when my son politely declined, the employer ranted at him, "that young people today are just lazy and not prepared to work".

Talking to colleagues at work, they tell me of their family members who are looking for work and not finding it.

I do not know now what the employment level is like in the UK, but the latest budget here has decided we are to work till we are 70!- Where are the jobs going to come from to keep older people in work, and to let the young people get started in the job market?

Edited by Meadows
Spelling mistake

1- "If you have the right attitude you'll find work"

2 - If you have the right experience, skills and attitude you have a good chance.

Two vastly different quotes, but you seem determined to find offence. I have only been here six months, but had I taken note of many of the posts you have made previously I wouldn't have made the jump at all. All I'm doing is offering balance to other prospective migrants who may be overwhelmed by the negativity on here by sharing my own, limited experience.

As for an 'all right jack' attitude - I'd say an established migrant wanting to haul up the drawbridge is more in tune to that than someone sharing positive experiences to other people going through the same difficult journey we've just made.

i won't be posting any more on this thread as it's gotten rather petty - all I'd say Diane is that your adversarial attitude is entirely unwarranted. People's experiences and advice differ - it can be taken with a pinch of salt - but to attack people for offering them is close-minded and juvenile.

Meadows,i am so sorry to hear of your son's plight but as i said in my earlier post the job market here is tough atm and unfortunately it appears to me that the youth are definitely bearing the brunt and sadly i do not anticipate it is going to get better anytime soon.It is so disheartening at the beginning of your working life to be facing such obstacles to work and the attitude of that employer is quite prevalent here.

I have just been reading a very disturbing article which states that the Abbott Government's Commission of audit report has proposed that the minimum wage needs to be cut.This is against a background of cuts to family tax benefits,medicare increases etc etc.People are already struggling and they want to lessen the minimum wage.

They want to reduce the minimum wage in SA from the current weekly figure of $622.20 to $430.76,a reduction of $191.44,per week,can you imagine.

Bearing in mind that we have to pay more for prescriptions,have the highest electricity costs in the world and the highest water bills in Oz,dont think the lucky country sentiment will pervade much longer.

Sue

I do not know now what the employment level is like in the UK, but the latest budget here has decided we are to work till we are 70!- Where are the jobs going to come from to keep older people in work, and to let the young people get started in the job market?

This is such a vital point too - someone in their late 40s or 50s is already at a huge disadvantage when looking for work (despite governments offering subsidies for employing 'older' people) - I can't begin to imagine how hard it will be for someone in their 60s!

I really feel for your son - I do hope someone gives him the chance he deserves soon. This trend for companies asking people to work for nothing is really concerning - I had heard about it happening in places like hairdressers etc. I am pretty sure it is illegal too - I'm sure there is something about people not being covered by insurance etc if they are not on the pay roll. I will google and see if I can find a link.

Here it is http://www.youngpeopleatwork.nsw.gov.au/irypw/Got_the_job/Trial_work.page

You dismiss my experience and those of my friends as anecdotal then use another's to strengthen your point.

:biglaugh: Okay, I've bitten!

Of course my post is about the experience of people I know, just as you say yours is.

The difference is we've been here 18-times as long as you have, and I think it would be fair to claim we know a fair few more people. I was not referring to several individuals, but many more. Unfortunately.

If the 'another' you refer to is sduffy, I suggested you read her post as an example, on PiA, of someone whose OH meets all suggested criteria plus local knowledge, additional expertise in his field, yet is without a job.

I do wish people would stop claiming that posters are deterred by what they perceive as negativity. If they are that precious they are probably not suited to participating in open discussions. If the opinions of others are enough to make them leave, then that's sad but such is life. Their decision.

In the meantime, posters such as Diane keep this site active and help whenever they can.

LC

:biglaugh: Okay, I've bitten!

Of course my post is about the experience of people I know, just as you say yours is.

The difference is we've been here 18-times as long as you have, and I think it would be fair to claim we know a fair few more people. I was not referring to several individuals, but many more. Unfortunately.

If the 'another' you refer to is sduffy, I suggested you read her post as an example, on PiA, of someone whose OH meets all suggested criteria plus local knowledge, additional expertise in his field, yet is without a job.

I do wish people would stop claiming that posters are deterred by what they perceive as negativity. If they are that precious they are probably not suited to participating in open discussions. If the opinions of others are enough to make them leave, then that's sad but such is life. Their decision.

In the meantime, posters such as Diane keep this site active and help whenever they can.

LC

I have respect for others experiences and am not going to get precious, I offered an opinion and was attacked for it. You may have been here much longer, but I am experiencing things as a new migrant - so my viewpoints and friends may have more in common with those looking in than those who are far more established. Also I have more of an idea of what things are like in the uk.

Open discussion is fine, but twisting my words and attacking me for my opinions is entirely different. I may be wrong from some perspectives and right from others - I don't seek to belittle anyone else's experiences - just to offer some balance and a different viewpoint. It seems that isn't encouraged by some on here, which is a real shame.

i promise this is my last post on the subject and I wish everyone making or thinking of the move all the best. Research the move and make your own minds up; don't be discouraged by some of the comments on here or encouraged by mine! I'm glad we made the move or we could have missed out on some amazing experiences, but everyone's journey is different.

I must admit that like any parent I do worry about the job prospects for our children. It seems that for each generation it gets harder. Many of our parents' generation had jobs for life with good pensions. My father in law arrived in Australia as a 19 year old and a couple of days later had a job with ETSA (the electricity company), there was no interview, he couldn't even speak English at the time. He just turned up at the depot where his brother already worked, they gave him a job on the spot and he worked for them until he retired! We have had it much harder and I suspect our children will have it even harder still. Given the stage of education that our children are at we have decided it is better to stay in Australia for now, but it seems quite probable to me that they will have to go back to England for work. I must admit I have never figured out what this 'better life for our children in Australia' really is. At least not in South Australia which has always been the poor relation of some of the other states, and once Tony Abbot and his cronies have wreaked havoc on the economy I doubt if there will be much left.

I do wish people would stop claiming that posters are deterred by what they perceive as negativity.

At the start of every 'Wanted Down Under' I watched when I was recently back in the UK, Nicki Chapman says in her intro something along the lines of "each year around a third of people who made the move return back to the UK". I wonder if all the potential migrants sit in their lounges after watching WDU and say "that Nicki is so negative, that's it we are not going now"! :wink:

Edited by Jessica Berry

At the start of every 'Wanted Down Under' I watched when I was recently back in the UK, Nicki Chapman says in her intro something along the lines of "each year around a third of people who made the move return back to the UK". I wonder if all the potential migrants sit in their lounges after watching WDU and say "that Nicki is so negative, that's it we are not going now"! :wink:

Sooo good! Thank you! :wubclub:

Oh, and guspjmh, that last was totally valid. I don't have any idea what it's like in the UK and I absolutely accept your comment about our experiences being at different points. Thank you. :smile:

Jessica Berry, I will try not to quote Nicki Chapman if anyone brings up negativity scaring people off....but I can't promise anything lol!

LC