Landing in adelaide on 14th September 2014 - finally!!! Short term rental required

minimel2710

I didn't ask for properties in seafood and moana. I simply said I had looked at her properties a while ago. I also said 'ideally, I would like to stay in cbd'

I don't really understand why you would comment on this post just to pick holes in it.. Especially as you had really helped me out by suggesting a website to try... Your earlier post was a lot more constructive... Just saying... :)

Did you get out of the bed the wrong way, someone replying to thread and you abuse them?

Mentioning Seaford and CBD in the same breath as places to look are almost the same as saying I want to live in London but Brighton is not bad also.

the only people in Adelaide who complain about the commute are those from south, places as far out as Seaford, due to the distance and time taken.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest12727
I didn't ask for properties in seafood and moana. I simply said I had looked at her properties a while ago. I also said 'ideally, I would like to stay in cbd'

I don't really understand why you would comment on this post just to pick holes in it.. Especially as you had really helped me out by suggesting a website to try... Your earlier post was a lot more constructive... Just saying... :)

I am so sorry. I was trying to respond to your initial request 'properties near the CBD while my OH looks for work". This was a very sensible request. When the poster suggested you look at Acacia rentals but of 3 properties 2 are in Moana and one in Seaford, you replied that you would look at them again. I thought you didn't realise the location of these suburbs, why would you, isn't this why you are asking for advice? I was simply pointing out to you that these areas are not near the CBD. If some-one told me they wanted to live near Canary Wharf, I wouldn't send them to Hayes even though it is possible to commute.

Guest wen66

We drove a 28 foot motorhome in around Adelaide, yes, did experience, not letting you out into traffic, changing lanes etc. Was quite hairy scary at times.

If at all possible, no one likes to commute. Travelling to London at the mo is not a pleasant experience. Underground...eurgh....

Would prefer to fall out of bed and roll into work...who wouldn't.

Good luck with your search, minimel, keep us posted on how you get on.x

Did you get out of the bed the wrong way, someone replying to thread and you abuse them?

Mentioning Seaford and CBD in the same breath as places to look are almost the same as saying I want to live in London but Brighton is not bad also.

the only people in Adelaide who complain about the commute are those from south, places as far out as Seaford, due to the distance and time taken.

Sorry if my post came through as abusive. That was certainly not my intention :)

i have never been to australia before and knowing distances and travelling times between places are something I'm sure I will pick up in the near future. Also, I didn't actually mention seaford and CBD in the same post...

Regardless, me and my little family are just so happy right now and all of these posts are actually very helpful. :) thanks to all x

I am so sorry. I was trying to respond to your initial request 'properties near the CBD while my OH looks for work". This was a very sensible request. When the poster suggested you look at Acacia rentals but of 3 properties 2 are in Moana and one in Seaford, you replied that you would look at them again. I thought you didn't realise the location of these suburbs, why would you, isn't this why you are asking for advice? I was simply pointing out to you that these areas are not near the CBD. If some-one told me they wanted to live near Canary Wharf, I wouldn't send them to Hayes even though it is possible to commute.

Howde, please accept my heartfelt apologies if I offended you. These forums are wonderful but I guess sometimes wires get crossed. When we finally land in aus I'd be happy to buy you a drink - even if I have to drive for 45 minutes! ;) xxx

We drove a 28 foot motorhome in around Adelaide, yes, did experience, not letting you out into traffic, changing lanes etc. Was quite hairy scary at times.

If at all possible, no one likes to commute. Travelling to London at the mo is not a pleasant experience. Underground...eurgh....

Would prefer to fall out of bed and roll into work...who wouldn't.

Good luck with your search, minimel, keep us posted on how you get on.x

Thanks wen. Ill pm you later once I've finished listing my belongings on eBay/Facebook selling sites/gum tree etc... X

Guest Guest12727
Howde, please accept my heartfelt apologies if I offended you. These forums are wonderful but I guess sometimes wires get crossed. When we finally land in aus I'd be happy to buy you a drink - even if I have to drive for 45 minutes! ;) xxx

Good luck with your arrangements. No drink necessary.

Hi minimel2710

We had our reccie in feb this year and stayed in Unley. The company we used was LaLoft

Apartments. They were ideal for us (family of 5), it was a two bed condo type place with loads if space and a drive in garage. Great location to start your search.

We are moving out in 2 weeks and staying at Hallett cove in a furnished house for a month until our furniture arrives.

Good luck if I can help any further just ask

Shaun

Hi minimel2710

We had our reccie in feb this year and stayed in Unley. The company we used was LaLoft

Apartments. They were ideal for us (family of 5), it was a two bed condo type place with loads if space and a drive in garage. Great location to start your search.

We are moving out in 2 weeks and staying at Hallett cove in a furnished house for a month until our furniture arrives.

Good luck if I can help any further just ask

Shaun

just checked and that venue is unavailable for our dates. I think I have made a decision and are gonna go with a place in Glenelg. It seems to suit our needs. :)

hallett cove looks beautiful. I think we will probably settle somewhere a bit more south eventually but until we get there and get a feel for the place, who knows!

So, you are only 2 weeks away. I guess all of your stuff has already been shipped... Are you living with only the bare minimum?

How old are your children? We have a 13yr old girl and 12 year old boy... Hoping to get them in school mid October time... :)

Hi glad you have found somewhere glenelg is great we really like it there.

Yes our belongings are on there way, they went on 4th July and will get there 12th September.

We are living with friends in 3 seperate houses at the moment. My wife and youngest son 12 are at one, myself and middle son 16 at other and oldest son 18 is at his mates.

We sold our house and unfortunately the timing went a bit wrong, but rather roughing it this end with friends than in Oz.

It's a little stressful but it will be a great adventure.

All the best

Accommodation all booked! Yay! Staying in Glenelg for the first month. Thank you to everyone for their comments and suggestions.

I don't think you can go far wrong with Glenelg as a starting point when you arrive. I like it for the tram link into the CBD so even if carless, you can get into the city with ease. Also the beach there, Jetty Rd, the square, all helps make it a good place to start off in.

Keep in mind that quite a lot of the beach suburbs are not really anything like Glenelg ;) I enjoyed the 7 or so months we spent living there when we arrived but by about 4-5 months in I was chomping at the bit to be elsewhere in the long term. If it had just been the two of us it maybe would have suited but with a kid and wanting to buy, it really wasn't a viable place for us unless we could live close to Jetty Rd lol, which wasn't an option :cute:

Guest overthehill

The beach at Aldinga, pt Willunga, silversands are without doubt lovely. But, I am entitled to my opinion and after residing in Aldinga for the last 7 years I think I qualify for that. I have seen and along with other long standing residents a decline. It has become a 'Landlords' haven...cheap affordable housing and what that brings with it. Yes the beaches are lovely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! End of the day its your choice Im only expressing a wide opinion...

Guest Claire-n-tel
everyone is entitled to an opinion!! is it not a free and democatric nation where freedom of speech is encouraged?????????????

Um yes they are..... I said nothing regarding your or anyone else's opinion of anything, I was just voicing my opinion that it did not come across as a great introduction.

Guest Claire-n-tel
Lets not jump on a new member please. Not everyone starts with an introduction post or wishes to.

Now, moving on :)

Snifter, i'm sorry if you feel that I am "jumping on a new member" of course there is no set way to introduce yourself to a forum but seriously???.....

i stand and by my post if you feel I was unfair then please feel free to remove it

Claire

I've had a little look at aldinga. It appeals to us but until we actually go there and get a feel for it ourselves, we won't know if it's for us. Minty, we are a bit rough too so we might fit it :err: Lol.

@overthehill, Am I right in thinking willunga and aldinga are fairly close? I saw a high school in willunga that I liked the look of.

ForgiveAdelaidenow, minimel - he/she could start an argument in an empty house! My advice is wing it.........pick a place, sign a 6 month lease and use the 6 months to find your feet, worked for us!

You have to put the commute in to context as to what you are used to. I live in Christie's and commute to Port Adelaide and it's 45 minutes in the morning and 55 mins in the afternoon. It's all along 1 road and a nice simple drive. Back in the UK I commuted from Hampshire to Camden. Used to take a hour and half in the morning and two and a half on a good day back. The roads were the A4, M4, M25, M3 so my commute here is sheer bliss compared to back home.

If it's into the CBD it's a 45 train in, again not big deal as just one train not 2 and the tube.