Blossom

Travel with baby tips

Next week I'm driving to Melbourne, with my 3.5 month old baby. :-|

We are aiming to leave fairly soon after she wakes naturally in the morning and are going to try to get to at least ballarat.

I'm thinking just blocks of driving as far as we can get before she wakes up, then nappy change, feed and a bit of a play and off again. Does that sound like a plan? Anything I'm missing?

We found ours always slept well in the car and we only ever needed to stop for feeding and nappy change. How is she travelling normally? Some babies just fall asleep as soon as they get in the car and only wake up when the car stops.

She's pretty good normally (other than when daddy managed to trap her skin in the clip last week). But she does like to be entertained sometimes, so I'm not sure if we might need one of us in the back sometimes to play with her.

On a long journey like that, I'd probably sit in the back anyways, so to be on hand for anything. Also those extended periods in an infant carrier can sometimes cause them to be uncomfortable. I'd be looking to stop every couple of hours at least to let her get out of it, roll around and stretch her back and legs out.

Enjoy the road trip :)

Well I'm the main driver in our family, so my partner would be in the back lol.

If he's anything like my hubby it'll be iPad or book and a nap while the baby sleeps :cute:

When we travelled with our (8 month old) baby she also slept most of the time. I think you are recommended to stop and let her out of the car every two hours or so, to stretch her legs. If she was really not happy I would go in the back and either read books with her, or I even breastfed her while she and I were both strapped in (it takes some acrobatics haha, but it is not impossible). As a last resort we brought the laptop with her favorite DVD, which we only needed the last half hour of the drive when she was really fed up.

Lol. Breast feeding in my car while strapped in definitely isn't possible. Lol. The two back seats are captains chairs are not that close.

I'll probably take a bottle of expressed milk for dad to give if he has to. :-)