Jessica Berry

Exploitation of Working Holiday Visa holders - Four Corners program

I worked in that very same potato factory, featured in the link, when I first came here on a working holiday visa!

I'm wondering if this is the same company that some girls I worked with came through. There have bee five award wage rises in the time I've known some of them but their wages haven't gone up once (and were less than award). I did tell them they should question it, as I know my boss pays higher to the agency, but they say 'they take money out for giving us a job'. I'm sure that can't be right. A minimum wage is a minimum wage!

I'm wondering if this is the same company that some girls I worked with came through. There have bee five award wage rises in the time I've known some of them but their wages haven't gone up once (and were less than award). I did tell them they should question it, as I know my boss pays higher to the agency, but they say 'they take money out for giving us a job'. I'm sure that can't be right. A minimum wage is a minimum wage!

Unfortunately there are always unscrupulous people that are happy to take advantage of venerable people. In the program the English backpacker was speaking up and challenging them and the next thing you hear is the boss saying something along the lines of don't send me anymore Europeans! These employers appear to deliberately choose people who are subservient by nature and also where their English is limited so they can take advantage of them.

D'VineRipe the tomato grower based in Adelaide's north that appeared on the Four Corners program at least appear to be doing the right thing....

http://www.dvineripe.com.au/About_Us/News___Media1/Media_Statement_From_D_Vine_Ripe.aspx

However, Covino Farms based in Victoria appear not to be doing the right thing and the article refers to UK legislation as a possible way forward.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-15/food-company-at-centre-of-slavery-scandal-launches-new-venture/6470812

Yeah. The agency these girls come through have only ever sent Asian people (my boss certainly hasn't asked for only Asians, it just seems to be the only people they deal with).

I completely concur I was totally disgusted by the horrendous way in which these vulnerable girls were treated,especially with regard to sexual harassment issues.Total exploitation and yet those dishing it out are still employed,disgraceful.Not surprising from a lot of the stories I have heard over the years here.

Sad it has been going on for years and doubtless will continue to do so.Some sad people too interested in the mighty dollar than people.

Sue

It is a shame that the likes of Jamie and Curtis,who extoll the virtues of the wonderful suppliers don't make their opinions known.