is this financially possible??

Matt796

I work in Burton which is a suburb over from Salisbury. Even when my landlord wanted his house back in South Plympton (an hours drive away) I didn't consider moving up that way for more than five minutes. I've visited enough work mates houses to get a pretty good idea of the areas, and they are not somewhere I'd feel safe in. Great value rentals though. You get way more for your money than other places. It's also still a fair treck to the cbd from there.

Your wife will be tied to her job for two years (or you risk your visa being cancelled) so be very sure if that wage is going to be enough for you. It's doable, but it would be right. You could claim child care benefit and rent assistance on just that one wage.

Savings wise, that could be tough if you are not shipping your furniture etc over. You can get an ok car which will do the job for a couple of grand.

Yeah the job she has she is happy with and the salary is fair. It's more to do with my job prospects!

What are your reasons for wanting to emigrate? NT is a tough place for many to settle and live. SA, Adelaide as a city are probably easier to adapt to but its still going to take some strong resolve and a real want to make it work. What is driving the migration? Are you unhappy in the UK? Looking for adventure?

I guess I don't get the upping sticks for that sort of salary only. And the leaving a good job in the UK (that you will be, though I can appreciate it may be stressful or hard going). Aus and UK are both first world countries, albeit problems in both, depending on areas and other things.

If you both really want the move, for whatever reasons are driving you, then you'll give it a go. Perhaps the SA police force will be an option for you. I would hope it could be something for you if you wanted to continue on that path career wise.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/aussie-chat/36256-sorry-i-havent-been-around-much-late-5.html

This is from a couple of years ago - if you go through a few pages you'll find that Ali ended up doing a security course and I seem to recall it worked out for him; he's not an active poster (but as far as I'm aware still a member so perhaps drop him a PM and find out his story?).

Good luck with figuring it out...

We want the opportunity for the kids to have a more outdoors lifestyle. My partner is half greek Cypriot and due to this experienced that type of lifestyle a lot when she was younger and likewise my mother's side of the famiky are Italian and we are both acutely aware what is on offer in a climate that is more suited to outdoor living.

Ok.

My partners job pays $40,000 AUD pa. I will come without a job and hopefully manage to secure one asap. We have two children (one baby and one school age). We want to rent a 2 bed apartment to start with. I'm not sure how much money we will come out with - maybe $6 - 10,000 AUD. Is it possible to get by on this for at least the first few months? The rent I've seen is around $250 pw.

I am a Police Officer and hope that I would mange to get a job in either SAPOL,Corrections or child protection etc but I know this may not be possible.

In the UK we earn around £47,000 plus per annum combined and that does offer us a comfortable lifestyle financially. Not sure if this move is financially viable???!!!

RE being in the job. Sapol might look very favourably on an application when you get here. I'm pretty sure Corrections would be very pleased to hear from you as well. As has been pointed out Security work needs a licence. And being a former copper isn't exactly a walk-up start for security here. The industry is trying to professionalise itself and is trying not to be a second-rate private police force. Ex military are more likely to succeed in getting into security these days.

Also you will need an Australian style cv/resume for any job. The HR industry here can be a bit quirky.

I'm retired Sapol (now working in completely different industry) so drop me a message if you have any specific questions.

We want the opportunity for the kids to have a more outdoors lifestyle. My partner is half greek Cypriot and due to this experienced that type of lifestyle a lot when she was younger and likewise my mother's side of the famiky are Italian and we are both acutely aware what is on offer in a climate that is more suited to outdoor living.

That's fair enough. So long as its what you both want. I just worried about you giving up a good job but you could end up going down the SAPOL route here.

Heat wise, we do lots outdoors but honestly, those stinking hot days its too hot to want to be out in the middle of the day. The sun will burn you to a crisp anyways then. Its so much hotter on your skin that in Europe. Its 34C today and I was outside earlier but came in and have the aircon running now. Son will head out later to Little Athletics for a couple of hours and it'll be lovely and warm, UV will be below 3 so very low and it'll be all of us out there enjoying it.

It's not the spiders or snakes you should be afraid of.... Its the short, bald top shaven, long haired spine, wrinkly inked.....think they are..... 'Boguns' You just got to watch out for while up there......they might bite and leave a nasty sting. ;)

Try if you can get a 6 month lease. As they tend to be 12month. They might consider it as they know Holden would be closing so there would likely be less interest in living up that way.

Have you considered Masson lakes? Not bad for rentals and a little bit closer to the city. 45min. Train link and new houses and a small shopping area, not wow but better/safer for going on foot places. ....don't want the Bogans to have you!! Lol ;)

If you want an idea of living costs in Aus compared to Uk, then as guide multiply by 2.2. If your current gross household income is £47k you'll need $103k to match it. If your weekly shop is £100, it'll be $220 here.

I also note the amount of questions you've asked in your threads, l'm thinking your applying your methodical coppers brain to solve the mystery, unfortunately migration is not that clinical, any which way your heading for D-day, with related risks.