Kangaroos a road hazard!

Tamara (Homes Down Under)

I lived in Africa for years and friends and family in the UK were under the impression that wild animals roamed the streets! :smile:

It seems that our local wildlife do roam the streets in certain locations! There are many suburbs in Adelaide that border rural areas and Roos are really common.

A collision with one of these animals is often fatal for them and can be hazardous to drivers and passengers. The size of some of these animals will amaze you.

My son had a minor accident with a roo when he was driving back from Mclarenvale the other week.

Here's a news report that explains why their numbers have increased.

Rise in kangaroos colliding with cars prompts call for warning signs to be erected on southern roads

index&t_product=AdelaideNow&td_device=desktop

Kurtis Eichler, Southern Times Messenger

August 24, 2016 9:58pm

index&t_product=AdelaideNow&td_device=desktop

AN increase in the number of cars colliding with kangaroos has prompted warnings for motorists to drive with caution along southern roads.

Residents, businesses and an Onkaparinga councillor say the kangaroo population in Aldinga, especially along Main South and Norman roads, is at its largest in more than two decades.

The Environment Department said water run-off from roads caused vegetation to grow in the verges, which attracted kangaroos looking for food.

The increased risk to motorists has prompted the Transport Department to agree to erect signs warning motorists to be on the lookout for the marsupials.

Aldinga Crash Repairs owner Steve Manning said he was currently repairing the highest rate of cars damaged in a crash with a kangaroo since he opened his business five years ago.

“I probably get six kangaroo-related crash repairs a month,” Mr Manning said.

“But there is definitely an issue with people hitting them.”

Wine Coast Ward Cr Hazel Wainwright was behind the push to get the Transport Department to erect kangaroo warning signs along the busy thoroughfares.

“They are coming down towards the city for food and if you see one on the side of the road you just have to be more careful,” Cr Wainwright said.

“There are quite a lot of friends who have had a lot of damage done to their cars so I think the crash repairers do quite well.”

Do Bee Honey co-owner Jill Trewartha, who lives on Norman Rd, said kangaroo numbers had increased greatly over the past 25 years.

“There’s always a big number killed on the road along Norman Rd,” Ms Trewartha said.

“It’s nothing for me if a kangaroo just jumps across the front yard and constantly people are honking their horn early in the morning to get the kangaroos out of the way.

“Everyone is becoming so aware of it and they have to watch out — maybe they are running out of food?”

Environment Department spokeswoman Jill Freear said kangaroos were “opportunistic breeders”, but the department did not keep population statistics.

“Road verges are often a source of food for kangaroos,” Ms Freear said.

“Road users should always be aware of the potential for collisions in areas with wildlife, and should take extra care.”

This silly sod locked itself in the cow pen I opened the gates let it out and it headed straight for the front fence and tried to run through it ! Shepherded it through 2 side paddocks until it was away from the main road My son is often out nights with his job and always aware of his surroundings as the Roos come out of nowhere imagejpeg

Tried to post a picture but no go lol

Edited by Philly47

The wineries around the McLaren Vale region are full of roos - one near us had 30+ roos culled recently because they were causing so much damage (apparently).

Dusk and dawn are the riskiest - roos are very active at those times and if one bounces out, there is likely to be a second one. I swapped out our main beams for the highest legal globes you can get to help out when driving down country roads after dark.