Haven't been on the forum for a while and was wondering if anyone on here does any of the Parkrun events around Adelaide. 

They are free timed 5k runs/walks for people of any ability held on Saturday mornings.

Hadn't heard of it until a couple of weeks ago but am planning to do the new one in Gawler which starts Saturday, July 8. Hoping to do the ones at Mawson Lakes and West Beach at some point too.

I've just registered to do this year's City-Bay 12k in September and plan to use Parkrun events as part of the training.

• Like 1

My eldest son does one at Lochiel Park.  He runs it in just over 21 minutes so we go for a walk along the river while he's doing it rather than make him wait the additional 20 minutes plus it would take one of us to do it.  It's a great event and the abilities range from super fast and fit (there are a couple of guys that go and run it again after they have finished), to those that pretty much just walk the 5km.  There are usually a few babies or toddlers in pushchairs, a few kids running with parents and a fair few people running with dogs.  Certainly worth having a go at.

My son did the City-Bay last year and the Bay-City earlier this year.  He intends to do the City-Bay again and this has just reminded me we need to get him registered.

I did 5k in 23 mins round our local oval yesterday so if I can do something similar at the first Gawler Parkrun on Saturday I'll be happy.

My only concern is that it's an out and back route along the same path which means runners and walkers will be going in opposite directions on the way back. It was tricky trying to get past during the Mother's Day Classic on the same path a few weeks ago, but will see how it goes. My wife is considering doing the walk next week.

City Bay entry is cheaper if you register before July 21 and if your son did a sub-60 time last year (which going by his 5k time I imagine he did) he can apply for a sub-60 entry which means you can get underway in the first batch after the elite runners and therefore avoid the main crush.

On ‎4‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 1:44 PM, NicF said:

My eldest son does one at Lochiel Park.  He runs it in just over 21 minutes so we go for a walk along the river while he's doing it rather than make him wait the additional 20 minutes plus it would take one of us to do it.  It's a great event and the abilities range from super fast and fit (there are a couple of guys that go and run it again after they have finished), to those that pretty much just walk the 5km.  There are usually a few babies or toddlers in pushchairs, a few kids running with parents and a fair few people running with dogs.  Certainly worth having a go at.

My son did the City-Bay last year and the Bay-City earlier this year.  He intends to do the City-Bay again and this has just reminded me we need to get him registered.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just an update from original post. Would definitely recommend Parkrun to anyone who enjoys a run or walk and maybe looking for an opportunity to meet some likeminded people. I've been doing the Gawler one most weeks and have done Mawson Lakes and plan to do the new Barossa one at the end of the month and probably West Beach and Clare sometime. Have got chatting to at least a couple of people each time and found one other regular runner who lives in the same little township as me out north.

• Like 1