How many years to stay on 489 and 887 before applying for citizenship?

Sherdil

If someone is arriving on 489 state sponsored visa. It will take two years to apply for 887 visa which is basically PR. 

My question is that how many years should the person stay on 887 visa before applying for citizenship? I have heard its two years on 489 and two years on 887.  Can anyone confirm this? 

If someone is arriving on 489 state sponsored visa. It will take two years to apply for 887 visa which is basically PR. 
My question is that how many years should the person stay on 887 visa before applying for citizenship? I have heard its two years on 489 and two years on 887.  Can anyone confirm this? 

Try here https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/am-i-eligible

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Currently 4 years in Australia with one year of PR, with no more than a year of absence in total and no more than 90 days absence in last year.  

But things are set to change.  Gov wants to impose 4 years residence on PR before applying. This will be revisited in July 2018.

So for someone arriving on a 489 this could mean 7 years before they apply if you include processing time.  It is possible though that provisional visas may be treated differently to temporary visas but I wouldn’t hold your breath.

13 hours ago, Rammygirl said:

Currently 4 years in Australia with one year of PR, with no more than a year of absence in total and no more than 90 days absence in last year.  

But things are set to change.  Gov wants to impose 4 years residence on PR before applying. This will be revisited in July 2018.

So for someone arriving on a 489 this could mean 7 years before they apply if you include processing time.  It is possible though that provisional visas may be treated differently to temporary visas but I wouldn’t hold your breath.

I hope the the 4 year PR thing never gets accepted ?

• 6 months later...