suzer

Good restaurants in the NE burbs

Hubs bday is coming up and I'm struggling to find a place to take him out to dinner and he rejecting the usual Thai and not into the Indian I found. I'm thinking steak and/or seafood....anyone know a good place in the NE burbs or roundabouts?

Guest caoimhe

This one got a really excellent write up in the local paper a few weeks ago, I haven't tried it yet but am hoping to soon. Apparently if you show ID with your date of birth then your birthday meal is free (up to $20)

Its in Modbury

http://www.cafeb.com.au/

Guest kangomik

Tea Tree gully hotel is good.

Just got back from the Tapp Inn, i know its near the city but its good food.

Thanks...TTG Hotel is a local for us so we'd like something a bit different, and while a free meal sounds good, that's about the only meal I'd have at Cafe B lol (they're wretched!)

I came up with a couple of my own suggestions (on the off chance anyone else is interested). It is a toss up now between Ned Kelly's in North Adelaide and something closer to home...am thinking Sfera's in Modbury as a good Italian place is bound to have a nice steak and seafood, especially as I think they're a N'ern Italian mob.

Hi,

We like Cafe Va Bene on the lower north east road. A bit pricey but the food is good imo. Also I've heard the Highbury does good food.

Wendy

Funny someone else just recommended Cafe Va Bene to me...is it fancy enough for a 35th bday? Do they have good steak/seafood?

Mawson Lakes is an option as well, just thinking.

Guest caoimhe
    and while a free meal sounds good, that's about the only meal I'd have at Cafe B lol (they're wretched!)

Just wondering what is so wrong with it, they got a good write up in the paper and I was thinking of trying it, not so sure now

Just wondering what is so wrong with it, they got a good write up in the paper and I was thinking of trying it, not so sure now

Guess it depends on what you are looking for, but it's fairly low end at high prices, big chain just processing things out...

Guest Armstrongs in Adelaide

Sfera's are good. They have a very nice wine menu, and we have never come away dissapointed from there.... A good choice for a special meal!!!

That's Amore in Highbury is nice - make sure if you go there you order one of their speciality dessert pizzas to share - yummmmy! Think sweetened pizza based with chopped up crunchie bar, strawberries and fresh cream for example! They also do nice steaks, fish, and have a daily specials board to choose from. Good choice of wines too.

Alternatively if you are not in a hurry there is Belmondos on GJR - east side of junction with NER. Nice food, but bit slow last time we went there.

I'm told that the absolute best steaks anywhere in Adelaide are at the Alphuette - think it's Wakefield Road on the East side, just after you've crossed the Parkland heading into the CBD. V pricey though, depends if it's a very special birthday!

Remember not to go too late - went to Ned Kelly's in North Adelaide recently and by the time we were ready for desserts and coffee (we sat down at 7:30 and went straight into steaks to save ourself for desserts) the coffee machine had been turned off, and the kitchen staff had gone home! Think it must have been about 9:30pm!!

Oh, and if you like Chinese, the Raffles Room opposite TTG Hotel is nice - does crispy duck and pancakes - yum - or the Ruby Raja is nice to eat in for Indian. Never tried the food at the Fox and Firkin but that's supposed to be nice too, if a little more casual.

I do like my food, me!!!

D

Thanks Diane. The Fox n Firkin does have lovely food, both upstairs at the proper restaurant and downstairs at the pub...but they're closed Mon & Tues, which I found out on St. Patrick's Day:(

Another diss on Alphutte:

http://whatsonthetable.blogspot.com/2008/12/alphutte.html

And what I thought about Cafe Buongiorno (I'm very vocal about restaurants I don't like!):

http://whatsonthetable.blogspot.com/2008/12/alphutte.html

Would you believe Sfera's charges $18 corkage?! Bloody N'ern Italians (can ya tell my heritage is S'ern It;)

Guest marty
    That's Amore in Highbury is nice - make sure if you go there you order one of their speciality dessert pizzas to share - yummmmy! Think sweetened pizza based with chopped up crunchie bar, strawberries and fresh cream for example! They also do nice steaks, fish, and have a daily specials board to choose from. Good choice of wines too.

Alternatively if you are not in a hurry there is Belmondos on GJR - east side of junction with NER. Nice food, but bit slow last time we went there.

I'm told that the absolute best steaks anywhere in Adelaide are at the Alphuette - think it's Wakefield Road on the East side, just after you've crossed the Parkland heading into the CBD. V pricey though, depends if it's a very special birthday!

Remember not to go too late - went to Ned Kelly's in North Adelaide recently and by the time we were ready for desserts and coffee (we sat down at 7:30 and went straight into steaks to save ourself for desserts) the coffee machine had been turned off, and the kitchen staff had gone home! Think it must have been about 9:30pm!!

Oh, and if you like Chinese, the Raffles Room opposite TTG Hotel is nice - does crispy duck and pancakes - yum - or the Ruby Raja is nice to eat in for Indian. Never tried the food at the Fox and Firkin but that's supposed to be nice too, if a little more casual.

I do like my food, me!!!

D

You must be following me around. The Fox's pub food is good but never tried upstairs

Cafe Va Bene is nice enough, but I don't like the fact they have big TV screens on all the time - it's very difficult when you've got the screen in view not to let your eyes turn towards it, which I think is the most antisocial thing when eating with friends!

Interesting to read your post on Alphuette - I've not eaten there myself, but have some Aussie friends who swear by it! On the other hand, the Italian Cafe on the opposite corner (whose name escapes me for the moment!) used to be nice - but again, with the TV screens.....

Give That's Amore a try, I reckon, and let us know what you think!

Marty - following you around? as if I would.....!!!! Just keep an eye in your rear view mirror at all times......!!!!!

Diane

Thanks all -- we have decided on Sfera's in Modbury. Will let you know how it is. It's in a restored building from 1877 so should be nice.

I just hate fancy places who charge for peckish meals, just for the sake of being posh Dianne. I likes my eats!!!

There's a discount for that one in the Entertainment Book this year - don't forget to take your card!

Bon appetit!