6am rush hour

snifter

Hubby works from home so doesn't commute into the CBD in rush hour. He also avoids driving our car and prefers to cycle everywhere where possible and if we go on a family trip into the CBD or someplace I usually do the driving. Anyways, he kindly dropped a friend of mine who had been staying with us a few days at the bus station on Franklin St in the CBD this morning as I had a fall at the weekend and hurt my foot and other bits of me are bruised and battered and I really didn't want to drive in all that way at 6am :nah:

Friends bus was leaving at 6:55 so they decided to leave at 6am to give plenty of time to get there, her to check in for her tour/trip across to Perth and get sorted and all that as you do. He came back around 7:30 and was pretty taken aback at how busy the roads into the CBD now are at 6am in the morning. His words, 'that was like 8am rush hour back when I was living here 10 years ago' and a few other things :cute:

I have been saying to him for ages that travelling down at that time is busy and I don't enjoy it one bit in the morning, even leaving so early. And of course, it gets much worse an hour or two later. Much much worse. I see buses then crammed with people then too and more of them running but earlier there are far less running and its much quieter at stops etc.

I wonder if people are trying to get to work early because they *have* to be there or to just avoid the bigger rush later on or to start early to finish early. Probably a combination of all 3.

Anyways, this was more as I was amused at his shock at 6am traffic into the CBD than anything else but its also got me thinking I wish they would extend the tram line to run to Flinders and elsewhere where possible as the flat is ideal for that means of transport. I appreciated when living in the Netherlands that trams (and bikes) ruled and were so quick and easy. I love the Adelaide tram line too, just wish there was more of it.

And should he ever change jobs and need to commute, after his rush hour reminder this morning, hubby has sworn off ever driving to work and will be sticking to cycling :cute:

Well, I have to say I don't think I've ever tried to go anywhere at 6am so couldn't really comment. I do leave the house at 7am to catch the bus and I don't think the traffic is normally that bad at that time in the morning. Although this morning there did seem to be more cars around than normal when I was trying to cross the road to the bus stop. How bad the traffic is might depend on where you are coming in from as well. I have two colleagues who drive in from the Flagstaff Hill / Happy Valley type areas and they aim to be work before 8am to miss the worst of the traffic.

Hope you are okay after your fall @snifter.

Yes I'm guilty, I leave at 6am to get to work by 7am, don't really have to be at work till 8 or 9 but means I can leave half three/ four and that makes all the difference! If I don't leave until five takes an hour and a half!

Wouldn't trade where I live, and it is never as bad as Edinburgh where cars just don't move!

Not sure about 6:00 am but traffic heading north into the city from the south is reasonable at 6:30 when I am leaving if I am on the early shift. I was quite surprised how much traffic there was - lots of tradies. I do think many people just like to get that early start. It takes me about 35 minutes to get to Mile End from Mclaren Vale at that time. If I am on lates and leaving at 7:30 it takes a bit longer. Coming home is not too bad if I leave at 4:00, but a disaster if I leave at 5:00 - took an hour tonight.

However, that's all still way quicker than when I was relying on public transport to get into the CBD.

And, Malkitek, I wouldn't swap it either :)

Thanks for the replies :) Interesting. I think quite a lot are tradies of some sort who then head home earlier perhaps. I see lots of utes and trucks at that time.

I think hubby had just forgotten what busy times of the day are like as he has been working at home for a while now and his commute is from bed to kitchen for his morning coffee and then about 5 paces to his desk in the study. The only rush hour he has to worry about is getting into the bathroom before the rest of us :cute:

And @NicF, thank you :) I'm ok. Just bruised in places I wasn't even aware had made contact with anything lol. And a very sore bashed foot/toes so hobbling round a bit. Thankfully nothing broken.

Edited by snifter