Coles checkout operators asking for charity donations

Guest Claire-n-tel

Guest Claire-n-tel

I have just run into Coles for a few bits and as the lady started putting my shopping through the till she asked me "would you like to make a $2 donation to guide dogs Australia today?"

WOW!.....I said no thank you and asked her if that is something Coles were doing now, she told me yes because most people would like to donate to a worthy cause.

So are Coles asking this to every customer going through the checkout? :arghh:

Guest Claire-n-tel
Great cause I reckon...

Yes it is a great cause Nobby but that is not the issue. It is putting people in a position of feeling pressured into donating when they may really not be able to afford to do so.

The one which annoys me most is some guy outside a coles collecting for blind can do. The just sits there looking really angry and aggressively shaking his money collection tin at people. He's the perfect example of a death person not being able to do something in my opinion. I avoid that shop just because this bloke is so rude I don't want to have to see him!

You have to be really careful with the Charity collectors outside shops and in Shopping centres. Many of them are paid a for what they collect or sign up.

Also, a while ago, several charities were "deregistered" and I had seen their collectors around our local shops. Always check the identity carefully.

I agree, I would find it annoying to be asked when I was checking out as I usually have so much to think about at that point anyway, but I was in Coles yesterday and no-one asked me!

Guest Claire-n-tel

I'm not sure if she was doing it 'officially' or not.......she always comes across as a bit of a busy body tbh......we always say she reminds us of a character from a few years ago in Little Britain the lady who played the group leader of the fat fighters diet club :biggrin:

Guest Guest14361
The one which annoys me most is some guy outside a coles collecting for blind can do. The just sits there looking really angry and aggressively shaking his money collection tin at people. He's the perfect example of a death person not being able to do something in my opinion. I avoid that shop just because this bloke is so rude I don't want to have to see him!

must be the same guy outside our Woolies, think he is actually blind or partially blind, he can hear you but not see you, so he shakes his tin at you, the other week there was a collector outside bunno's for a animal charity, slipped them a tenner and got 2 doughnuts, expensive I know...

Edited by Guest14361

I'm not sure if she was doing it 'officially' or not.......she always comes across as a bit of a busy body tbh......we always say she reminds us of a character from a few years ago in Little Britain the lady who played the group leader of the fat fighters diet club :biggrin:

She'll probably claim she can't understand your foreign accent!

Hi all, just want to put my two cents in as someone who works in marketing and fundraising for a charity. I totally get that lots of methods of fundraising can be seen as 'in your face' and I have crossed the road many times when I see face to face fundraisers! However, just bear in mind that giving $2 at a checkout is one of the most effective ways of fundraising for charities. The charity enters into partnership with a retailer and keeps all donations within a set time. Very little time or money is spent on promotions etc... so more of the public's money goes back to the cause. Compare this to initiatives like gala dinners or lotteries that may raise loads of money - but probably cost five times that amount (plus salaries) to actually make happen.

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi Soo :smile:

I'm sorry but although it may be effective at raising money I still think it is wrong to be doing it.....how much of that money has been given under pressure by people that cannot afford it?

Using peoples embarrassment and peer pressure to get donations is just wrong.

You say that you yourself cross the road to avoid some collectors, if you want to do your shopping there is no way to avoid this!:arghh:

Hi Claire n tel, I totally agree that embarrassment should NEVER be a factor and I can't imagine any charities would ever use this in their strategy. It would never make people feel good - which is key to long term fundraising success!

My personal feeling though isn't that it's 'wrong' - I think it's just another way for charities to fundraise - and one I have more time for than many other methods. Personally being asked to donate at a checkout annoys me far less than receiving cold calls on my mobile to sell me lottery tickets (when I know the charity is outlaying salary PLUS the return on this kind of activity is only around 40% at best) or a long winded sales pitch from a face to face fundraiser from an agency who (usually) knows nothing about the cause and are generally a pretty poor representation of what the charity aims to do.

I think key to checkout fundraising being successful and also unobstrusive is that sales people/checkout operators ask once, politely, and don't push the matter. I like the way it's done in Cotton On stores - a simple 'and do you want to buy a $2 shopping bag to support the Cotton On foundation today?' and a simple 'no worries' with a smile if the customer says 'no thanks.'

My feeling is that a lot of it is in the wording and the training/briefing the retailers receive. I would hope I would only be asked once, very politely, with no pressure. That way the charities will hopefully make some extra cash with minimal outlay, and customers won't feel harassed. I agree, there should NEVER be an embarrassment factor.

I guess the way I see it is that if all I have to do is smile and say 'no thanks' - as long as there's no further plea/pressure, then a charity has had an opportunity to fundraise and all I've had to do is say no if I don't want to... just like 'do you want to buy a 10cent bag' or 'do you want to collect Jamie Oliver tokens/school stickers/whatever other loyalty strategy is being peddled that week.