Statistics - time it takes to find a job

I thought I would re-post one of my posts from August 2013. Obviously the information is from a couple of years ago and the job market in many areas has slowed down since then, but I thought people might find it useful to have something to refer to and help people who are coming over plan their budgets. Some people find work quickly and for others it takes a while due to a variety of reasons.

Previous post below.......

Taken from the Career One job supplement in The Advertiser (Adelaide), but the figures will be for Australia wide.

Jobseekers should leave at least 3 months for their job search and be prepared for it to take even longer to get into work or find a better position.

That is the median length of time it is taking unemployed jobseekers to be hired as well as a rough guide for those already employed and applying for work elsewhere.

Time spent looking for work...

1 to 4 weeks - 16%

4 to 13 weeks - 38%

13 to 26 weeks - 18%

26 - 52 weeks - 20%

Whole year - 8%

The time it takes people to get jobs of course varies depending on many factors. This is a guide for people coming over as to how long it may take to secure work. People start panicking when they have been here just for a couple of weeks and don't have a job, but the process of securing work can take time.

In our own circumstances our first jobs back when we arrived in 2007 (and jobs were definitely more plentiful than now in my opinion), my OH gained a temp position with 1 week of arriving and a perm position within 3 weeks of us arriving. I gained a perm position 10 weeks of arriving.

We were both lucky securing perm jobs for our first jobs. I feel if we were arriving now it would be more likely that we would secure temporary contract roles to start with.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand you have underlined the word guide.

Given that Adelaide has the worst unemployment rate in the country and the figures you quoted are nationwide I would disregard them to an extent.

Adelaide is not like the rest of the country. Given Tasmania has now a higher level of employment.

I agree with your point, no need to panic, maybe allow a time and certainly have an exit strategy planned if you cannot secure work.

Plan properly and understand the economic struggles of the state. Once you arrive reality bites within a few weeks for most.

Do not be ashamed to go home in 3 or 6 months, if things don't work out. Do not cash in all your chips.

At a South Australian govt welcome meeting in March we were told the average time is 6-9months to find a job. Speaking to a few people it appears to be pretty accurate, for a permanent/long term job anyway

I am not sure that is much of a welcome! :wink: That's interesting the SA Government is providing that information to people.

• 2 weeks later...
Plan properly and understand the economic struggles of the state. Once you arrive reality bites within a few weeks for most.

Do not be ashamed to go home in 3 or 6 months, if things don't work out. Do not cash in all your chips.

Everyone is different and of course it depends on personal circumstances, but personally I think 3 months is too soon. It took me almost 3 months to secure my first job in Adelaide and it never entered my mind to return to the UK. You make good points about doing your research and I think too many people make the assumption because they are on a skills list, it means there are an abundance of jobs sitting waiting for them. There are certain jobs where people are going to struggle and people need to do their research and make financial provision for this. One of my friends came to Adelaide knowing there would be very few opportunities in their line of work here, but they came with the attitude that they were open to doing other work and had made financial provision for being out of work and after 6 months (with the assistance of someone in their network) they secured a permanent role which they are very happy in.

It comes down to peoples expectations, what they are willing to do, what they are not willing to do, how much they want it to work, are they really prepared to start over from scratch again, are they happy to work as a casual with no sick or holiday pay no certainty of hours and work...the list goes on.

• 1 month later...

With Santos announcing another 200 jobs going this week in Adelaide, unfortunately more names and numbers keep adding to the list.

Recent job losses

ASC: 100

Arrium Mining: 580

Santos: 200 this week in addition to 565 nationally over the past year (half in South Australia)

Holden: 270

BHP: 380

BGC: 200

Arnotts: 120

United Dairy Power: 100

Aldinga Turkeys: 79

Lease Electrical: 40

Hills: 35

Penrice: 95

OZ Minerals: 80

Murray Zircon’s Mindarie mine: 36

Job losses to come

Alinta Energy: 478 (132 may be placed in the public service)

Holden: 1260

ASC: 1000 over the next three years

Arrium Mining: Number to be confirmed

6.5 months and counting, still looking.... but still optimistic. Thinking of it and treating it as a long holiday. :-)

Crikey Etch, really hope something comes up for you soon. Glad you are keeping optimistic about it. I know some people can take a while to find something. Are you able to get any short term contracts at all? I don't know what your skill set is but is it the sort of thing that could be done? Or have you tried every avenue like that.

I know a few friends who have found jobs via Seek, either for themselves or their partners were looking. OK some of the jobs don't require a degree or specific skill set but they are working and enjoying it, casual employees mostly but being paid a fair rate and all that.

Really wish I had something or someone I could point you in the direction of but alas don't know anyone or of any specific jobs going atm.

With Santos announcing another 200 jobs going this week in Adelaide, unfortunately more names and numbers keep adding to the list.

Recent job losses

ASC: 100

Arrium Mining: 580

Santos: 200 this week in addition to 565 nationally over the past year (half in South Australia)

Holden: 270

BHP: 380

BGC: 200

Arnotts: 120

United Dairy Power: 100

Aldinga Turkeys: 79

Lease Electrical: 40

Hills: 35

Penrice: 95

OZ Minerals: 80

Murray Zircon’s Mindarie mine: 36

Job losses to come

Alinta Energy: 478 (132 may be placed in the public service)

Holden: 1260

ASC: 1000 over the next three years

Arrium Mining: Number to be confirmed

Well done for posting this JB, some may view it as negative, I view it as realistic and informative.

6.5 months and counting, still looking.... but still optimistic. Thinking of it and treating it as a long holiday. :-)

Hang in there etch123, maybe it's Aussie getting revenge on you for your post about places to find snow!!! Bad Karma. On a serious note, it took me 13 months, Mrs keldaz did it in 3 months and saved our bacon. Friends range between coming over to a job, to never getting one (still here though, running their own thing). I was made redundant after 21 months. Applied for a number of jobs, didn't happen, hey ho, My new employer appreciates my skillset and appreciates my efforts, that's right it's me:biggrin:. Keep fighting mate, all the best, maybe mention what you do on here, you never know.

Edited by keldaz

Well done for posting this JB, some may view it as negative, I view it as realistic and informative.

Having a background in career advice, HR/recruitment, training (as well as other things!) I probably take more of an interest than others in this subject and sometimes I am unsure whether to post or not, so the feedback is appreciated!

I was reading an article this week (link below) and it stated 'More than one in six South Australians in the labour force either wants a job or wants more work.' I know from my circle of friends and contacts that many companies or individuals are struggling in the current economic climate. Of course this isn't the case for all sectors and there are still jobs that continually have a demand. For example one of my contacts is struggling to recruit for several casual jobs, another one of my contacts gained employment for all their students before they had even finished their course, another project I worked on several years ago still continually advertises for more staff to meet demand.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/unemployment-despite-slight-fall-south-australias-jobless-rate-still-remains-the-nations-highest/story-e6frg6n6-1227570888424

We have a good standard of living in Adelaide and are happy we made the move here, but we came with the attitude that we were happy to get stuck into building our new life and do whatever it took to make that happen. I have met up with a couple of people (not from this site) who were over on reccies and they had very well paid senior jobs, with excellent terms and conditions and a high standard of living and wanted my advice and opinion on their chances of gaining employment in Adelaide before they committed to making the move. I think people have to be realistic before they come over about the job situation and what they are prepared to do or not do!

Edited by Jessica Berry

Having a background in career advice, HR/recruitment, training (as well as other things!) I probably take more of an interest than others in this subject and sometimes I am unsure whether to post or not, so the feedback is appreciated!

Lol, gatekeepers and mischief makers abound hey. With your background as a professional in the areas described above, and with such a positive and proactive attitude, coupled with the fact that your clearly very happy here, I would say that you are the perfect type of person to be posting threads such as this. With the current employment situation such as it is in Adelaide, it should really be a 'hot topic', after all it's all over TV, radio, papers and evident at street level, even the number of Wombles have increased.

If PIA is a true representation of expats in Adelaide, all aspects good, bad and ugly need to be covered. There will always be those with work, there will always be gaps in the job market and unemployed people. Lot's of people are drowning here at the moment, Poms, Aussie's and friends from around the world. I love the Truman Show Film, but I refuse to live in it.

All finished:biggrin:

Edited by snifter
fixed quote tags

Its not all doom and gloom! My company is growing and employing. I work in the commercial and corperate printing. When people print more generally they are working harder due to growth and we are seeing that at the moment right here in Adelaide. Yes, holden is closing and yes building has slowed but we are seeing more boom within smaller business. We are also seeing a rise in larger chain stores like bunnings, costco and now ALDI.

When one door closes another one always opens.

and here is one for the stats, i was employed 4 weeks before i arrived! Stay positive!

Great to hear your optimism....if it comes through at interview you will definitely get a job.

It took me 7 months to get a job, but during that time I was VOLUNTEERING....Do not underestimate the power of this.

Australia is a fabulous place to volunteer as you can use it to Career-Jump into something else (i.e. transferable skills and all that).

By the time I got an interview for a lovely job that I really really wanted, the fact that I was volunteering clinched it I reckon as I had 2 Aussie referees and the interviewers loved that.

Good Luck.

Yikes, I knew Adelaide had it tough recently but those job loss figures somehow make it more 'real'.

I'm on a working holiday Visa at the moment and chose to come here because there's a slim chance I'll get 85 points and be sponsored by South Australia to come here as a customer service manager, so figured I might as well start my search while waiting for the results. There really doesn't seem to be anything around though! (added issue is I'm a supply chain customer service manager..so very specific and titles are going to be messy). Loving it here and decided to rent a permanent house etc and am going to 'view it as a holiday' like etch123. unfortunately I also wasn't planning on my flat sale taking 5 months longer than anticipated.. sucks having to pay for an empty flat in the UK so it's a rather expensive holiday/

Anyway, I'm rambling, basically the point I suppose is thanks for the guidelines and I guess it is good to be aware that though I might not find something quickly if I give it time there's chances? Or I'm probably getting the wrong end of the stick and I really have no chance and have made the silliest decision of my life leaving everything ^.^

Great to hear your optimism....if it comes through at interview you will definitely get a job.

It took me 7 months to get a job, but during that time I was VOLUNTEERING....Do not underestimate the power of this.

Australia is a fabulous place to volunteer as you can use it to Career-Jump into something else (i.e. transferable skills and all that).

By the time I got an interview for a lovely job that I really really wanted, the fact that I was volunteering clinched it I reckon as I had 2 Aussie referees and the interviewers loved that.

Good Luck.

ooh I like that idea! Silly question, but how did you go about finding something?

I was reading an article this week (link below) and it stated 'More than one in six South Australians in the labour force either wants a job or wants more work.' I know from my circle of friends and contacts that many companies or individuals are struggling in the current economic climate. Of course this isn't the case for all sectors and there are still jobs that continually have a demand. For example one of my contacts is struggling to recruit for several casual jobs, another one of my contacts gained employment for all their students before they had even finished their course, another project I worked on several years ago still continually advertises for more staff to meet demand.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/unemployment-despite-slight-fall-south-australias-jobless-rate-still-remains-the-nations-highest/story-e6frg6n6-1227570888424

I have just realised that when you click on the link above it is classed as premium article and content and only available to subscribers, so I have copied and pasted the article below in case anyone is interested in reading it that doesn't have access......

Unemployment: Despite slight fall, South Australia’s jobless rate stillremains the nation’s highest

October 15, 2015 11:08pm

JACKSON GOTHE-SNAPE The Advertiser

THE number of unemployed South Australians is at an 18-year peak of 69,700 and the number who have jobs but need more hours is at a record high of 84,000.

Although South Australia’s seasonally adjusted unemployment rate eased slightly to 7.7 per cent for September from 7.9 percent in August, this rate is still 1.4 percentage points above that of any other state.

Nationally, the unemployment rate was steady at 6.2 per cent. Even traditional laggard Tasmania recorded a rate of 6 per cent — a four-year low.

SA’s trend unemployment rate — which smooths out month-to-month volatility — rose slightly to 8 per cent, underlining thestate’s economic challenge.

More than one in six South Australians in the labour force either wants a job or wants more work.

Employment Minister Gail Gago conceded on Thursday that there would be a “difficult road ahead for many workers as we transitionfrom the old economy to the new economy”.

She said challenges in the energy and resources sectors had forced the Government to pursue a policy of economic transition,saying the plan is to “diversify the economy by undertaking long-term structural reform while investing in new and growth industries to protect and create jobs”.

But in the short term, “economic transition” means pain for workers.

In the past week alone, hundreds of Santos and Alinta workers have been told they are no longer needed and mining and energy slowdowns are rippling through other sectors.

Sixty workers at North Plympton steel engineering company Manuele Engineers, a family-owned business established in 1967, were told on Thursday they’d lost their jobs.

Managing director Vince Manuele said the company had been hit by a “severely ­depressed” construction industry, forcing it to close.

“(It is) very sad after nearly 50 years of building much of Adelaide’s iconic structures,” he said.

“It seems that the situation is unlikely to change in the foreseeable future.”

Associate Professor John Spoehr, from the University of Adelaide, said that “given the recent job losses in the energy and mining sectors, we can expect this trend to continue over coming months”.

He predicted looming job losses in defence and manufacturing would continue the “disturbing” trend.

State Liberal employment spokesman David Pisonisaid the underlying figures were concerning, particularly the fall inparticipation — down almost one percentage point to 61.7 per cent seasonally adjusted.

“There are fewer South Australians who believethere’s a light at the end of the tunnel,” he said.

“(People dropping out of the workforce) is the onlyreason that the unemployment rate has gone down.”

Business SA chief Nigel McBride said Thursday’snumbers “do not yet reflect the job losses from a number of recent decisions by large employers such as BHP, Alinta and Santos”, which will “exacerbate” the dire jobs outlook.

“Any job losses are tough to deal with butgovernments need to remain focused on the long-term policy actions which can help create sustainable jobs,” he said.

The Government’s major attempt to right the economyis its commitment to cut business taxes. But Ms Gago said it is also pulling“other levers”:

REGIONAL employment projects have been promised $2.1 million.

NEW requirements for local jobs ingovernment contracts.

GRANTS and export initiatives for local business.

Federal Employment Minister Michaelia Cash said federal investments in road projects such as the Northern Connector would support more than 400 construction jobs.

She also said the Chinese-Australian Free Trade Agreement would create jobs if it was approved by the Parliament.

“Increased trade equals increased jobs, so in terms of the increased jobs in South Australia, there will be jobs created and those are in particular in the agriculture industry and the wine industry,” she said.

In a distant prospect, the Nuclear Fuel Cycle Royal Commission on Thursday heard a waste repository could create about 8000 permanent jobs. University College London nuclear engineer James Voss said 1500 would be in professions and the rest in blue-collar jobs.

Edited by Jessica Berry

Hi Jessica

Well- my son has been looking for work/apprenticeship coming up 2 years now by Xmas. He volunteers one day per week and that has not led to anything.

His job provider, courtesy of Centrelink, has not found him anything and by Jan 16 he will start yet another 6 months Work for the Dole,

the last Work for the Dole scheme he finished in July 15.

The only suggestion his job provider came up with recently was that he enrols on an business course which would give him a HECS debt of $25000.

I found that rather ironic- he has no job and they want him to go into debt for $25000. He recently paid for a First Aid course to add to his resume, which

comprises 6 Cert 2s in various trade skills, Fork Lift licence, White Card, current police check, full driving licence and a Tag & Test course qualification.

I was looking at the Career One in the Advertiser today. On page 2 is the headline "Secure Your Future", an article encouraging young people to become apprentices. However the paper itself did not advertise a single apprentice job!

Young people like my son would love to become a trade apprentice but companies are just not taking on apprentices.

Goodness knows what the job situation will be like when Holden finally closes it doors!

Hi Jessica

Well- my son has been looking for work/apprenticeship coming up 2 years now by Xmas. He volunteers one day per week and that has not led to anything.

His job provider, courtesy of Centrelink, has not found him anything and by Jan 16 he will start yet another 6 months Work for the Dole,

The only suggestion his job provider came up with recently was that he enrols on an business course which would give him a HECS debt of $25000.

I found that rather ironic- he has no job and they want him to go into debt for $25000. He recently paid for a First Aid course to add to his resume, which

comprises 6 Cert 2s in various trade skills, Fork Lift licence, White Card, current police check, full driving licence and a Tag & Test course qualification.

I was looking at the Career One in the Advertiser today. On page 2 is the headline "Secure Your Future", an article encouraging young people to become apprentices. However the paper itself did not advertise a single apprentice job!

Young people like my son would love to become a trade apprentice but companies are just not taking on apprentices.

Goodness knows what the job situation will be like when Holden finally closes it doors!

Just wondering if your son has made enquiries with Peer Veet, their a labour hire company as well as an RTO, and as such employ their apprentices as they train. Since he seems to have put a lot of effort in, I'm guessing you've looked at this already, worth a mention though.

Hi Jessica

My youngest son has just completed an apprenticeship.

The apprenticeship wasn't advertised. It was arranged by his TAFE lecturer who knew of openings in that field.

It might be time to change his Centrelink job provider.

There should be plenty of seasonal jobs available soon and maybe one of those may lead to a permanent position. It is tough out there. My one son works at Woolworths and he submitted a application for one of the Aldi's that are being built...plenty of applicants!

Best of luck....

My youngest son has just completed an apprenticeship.

The apprenticeship wasn't advertised. It was arranged by his TAFE lecturer who knew of openings in that field.

When I worked as a Trainer and Assessor in Adelaide I was also responsible for managing the recruitment side of things from employers who contacted the college with jobs they were looking to fill with our students. The majority of these jobs were not advertised elsewhere, often because the employer either did not want to deal with or simply could not manage the volume of applications they would receive if they put the job on seek.

When I worked as a Trainer and Assessor in Adelaide I was also responsible for managing the recruitment side of things from employers who contacted the college with jobs they were looking to fill with our students. The majority of these jobs were not advertised elsewhere, often because the employer either did not want to deal with or simply could not manage the volume of applications they would receive if they put the job on seek.

Exactly.

His lecturer has just sent through details of a local job. This job will not be advertised.

My OH accessed his work intranet today and also mentioned to me a range of different positions throughout the city....none of them will be advertised.

Hi there

Thank you for your replies, Tamara and Jessica. As my son is no longer at TAFE, there is no way he could be notified by his lecturer, he did ask while at TAFE but there was nothing available at that time, and if jobs are not advertised- how does one apply for them?

My son has tried Woolworths etc to no avail. He has passed the assessment for Peer Veet but an interview failed to achieve a position. He is registered with ATEC, AIGTS, Tabma, and other group training organisations such as Maxima and Statewide . He applies for job positions regularly for all of these companies.

He has just completed a First Aid course to add to his accomplishments.

He has not yet changed his job provider as talking to some of his unemployed friends, there are other companies who are even worse than the one with whom he is registered.

The latest from his job provider- he should apply for 50 jobs per month. When he pointed out that there were not 50 jobs available for which he was qualified- he was told to apply anyway. Irrespective of the fact he is not qualified for the jobs suggested. What a waste of his time and for the employers they have to sort through applications who do not need even the basic criteria for the position.

He told me recently that he sees no future in the job market form him and it is only his hobbies that are keeping him sane.