school term times ?

Guest dave&emma

Guest dave&emma

hi all

can anyone help with the dates school finish's and starts as we are looking at moving in November and want our children to have a few weeks to settle in before having 6 weeks off.

we have a 14 year old and are not sure what grade she will be in as her birthday is on 20 jan, she is in her first gcse year here will she already be in equivalent there or will that start in January.

also i am not sure if our 11 year old will start high school in January.

do all schools break up at the same time as our 7 year old will be in primary school.

is a school day the same hours as here 9 - 3:30

i know this has been posted on here before as my husband has seen it but we cant find it.

thanks

I reckon your 14 year old would be in (Australian) year 9 now, so would be starting year 10 in January 2014 (3rd year of high school which goes from year 8 - 12).

Your 11 year old probably won't be starting high school, but it depends on when their birthday is. Most kids are in the 12 and a half to 13 and a half age range when they start. Some private schools start a year earlier. The dates for cut off into school years is roughly April/May time. So a school year will contain children with birthdays from May through to April the following year - although that's not cast in stone. Assuming your 11 year old hasn't just turned 11, or isn't 12 next week, they would probably be in (Australian) year 6 now, so in January 2014 they would be starting year 7, which is the last year of primary school.

Hi- my daughter is almost 10 31/7 an is in year 4. The australian system puts them a year behind uk as a rule and they stay in primary till end of year 7, approx 13 yrs ( 8 in the uk) I think my hubby said he was breaking up around 13/12 this year for Xmas. We arrived at the end of term 1 and our kids 6&9 went straight in and did three days transition and then stated properly after the holidays. They love it an haven't looked back. They have sleepovers and been to parties and don't really kids their old school. They have been outside so much more since we arrived and are looking forward to the summer.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Cornish Pasties

Hi there,

yeah would agree that your 14 year old would be in year 9 now & start year 10 Jan 2014 as her birthday falls before the end of the summer hols. My lad just managed to scrape into year 9 although as his birthday falls in Feb because had had met some friends during the summer hols who were all due to start year 9 - we had to fight his corner as saw his face drop when he thought he was going in year 8 again lol. We were very lucky as although we arrived during summer hols (early Jan 2013) he went down to local sk8 park with his scooter and made friends instantly. Certainly a great idea though to get yours into school before the start of the summer hols so they can make some friends - have found the children very friendly here so I am sure they will be made to feel very welcome. Best of luck with your forthcoming moving!:smile:

hi all

we are looking at moving in November and want our children to have a few weeks to settle in before having 6 weeks off.

do all schools break up at the same time as our 7 year old will be in primary school.

is a school day the same hours as here 9 - 3:30

Hi there :smile:,

I read your post and wondered whether you could get here a few weeks earlier?

Unless you know where you are going to settle and which schools your kids will attend, I wonder whether it will all be a bit of a rush - you know, to find the schools, visit, decide, start? Although it is possible to look round one day then start the next, it would be nice (IMO!) to find the high school that best suits your daughter from the get-go.

As for school days, no they don't necessarily start / finish at the same time. The primary schools near us start at 8.30 and finish at 3.10 whilst the high school starts at 8.45, finishing at 3.15. It seems as though both primary and high schools are moving towards a 2.30 finish on a Tuesday, to allow for teacher training. I have no idea re private schools though.

There are a good few things on over the holidays - the schools should have info - so that will help your kids find new friends and as Cornish P. said, the local skate/BMX park is a good place to find a nice circle of kids.

Good luck!

LC

Hi yeah I agree with all of the above if you can bring your flights forward try to. It can happen quickly but it can also take weeks to know where your going to be land jobs and secure a long term rental. It might also be worth looking for a R-12 school then they can all go to the same school and don't have to worry about moving to another school again.

It all depends on where you plan to live.

http://www.decd.sa.gov.au/locs/

http://www.privateschoolsdirectory.com.au/adelaide-schools.php

If your interested you can also look at best performing schools - we have our kids in a local private catholic school as the primary here was not for us.

http://www.myschool.edu.au/

You could also check out this thread.. http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/renting-real-estate/8873-area-you.html

Good luck