Looking for 3/4 bedroom home with annex/granny flat

leelee53

Hi there,

Unfortunately we are having to move on from our current rental due to it going on the market. My elderly parents live with us in our granny flat, and we will need to have the same set up in our next property so that we remain together, yet all have our own independent living space.

My son has just started school this time, and I am reluctant to move him before the end of the year so we would consider living in any areas around a 20-30 minute travelling distance from his school in Flagstaff Hill (5159).

I'd be very grateful if you could let me know of any properties available for rent before July/August that may suit our needs.

• 2 weeks later...

These are really rare. Loads of them in the other states but the building regs here dont favour granny flats. I do a bit of work for rental companies so I will keep an ear out as many furnished rentals have shut up shop and converted to unfurnished. Some of them have granny flats and if you pick up one of these rare propeties grab it an hold on to it.

Thanks Chrisda, I really would appreciate that :)

Planning laws do "favour" dual occupancy, but not everywhere. "Policy area 40" is the magic word which means "medium density" which means 76 dwelling per hectare or min 150 square metres per dwelling.

If I were you, for $500 a week I would rather bought than rented.

Options are endless. For example my friend has bought a prefab for $290K at Seaford on 450 sq m lot. shifted this 3 bedder to the side, and installed another 3 bedder next to it. Dual occupancy in six weeks time flat, and cheaper than you prepared to pay in rent.

Problem - these kind is rare as hen's teeth and usually get sold the day they listed (if they ever get listed and not snapped by the agents themselves).

Option two - there are still couple of blocks of land available around Port Noarlunga South - Seaford at around $200K mark. Beware - "Policy area 40" starts on the south side of Fremantle Road (the other side is normal low density land).

Even on 200 sq meter lot you can fit two storey house of 300-350 square metres (ground floor to your parents, second storey for yourself) which would be more than enough for your needs and walking distance to the ocean.

Thanks for the advice notpom, as strangely enough we have decided to look to buy a property instead of continue renting!

Again, with a separate granny flat for my parents.

Please get in touch if you have a property to sell that might suit our needs.

Thankyou.

Thanks for the advice notpom, as strangely enough we have decided to look to buy a property instead of continue renting!

Again, with a separate granny flat for my parents.

Please get in touch if you have a property to sell that might suit our needs.

Thankyou.

You are very wise.

To become super extremely intelligent - do not waste time and money looking for the whole package - I mean house with the flat.

Go to couple of councils and they willbe happy to tell you which areas have medium density zoning. And buy a house on a corner block. To put a prefab as a granny flat might take three months.

Of course, I would not advise you anything illegal, but some people buy cheap transportables as granny flats, put them into their backyard (3 day job) and then seek retrospective approval from the Council. If it is permissible, it will be granted. Just talk to good architect/development consultant before going this way.

Some people conveniently forget about approval. My neighbour for example very forgetful. He has built two storey house. All this time he honestly tried to get to Council to ask about approvals, but every time forgot how to get there.

But the best advice I can give - is my old good one. Adelaide has loads of land. You shall buy land that is in short supply - which in Adelaide means land with water views. Anything without views - can be and will be the waste of money.

Edited by notpom

Good luck with the house hunting. I am sure you could find something suitable in the postcode area or adjoining the area. Even if its a property that could be altered a little to allow an annexe or change the layout to work for you. I know when we were looking to buy we saw a number of properties with a granny flat or an extra bedroom/living room with its own entrance.

Are you prepared to consider surrounding suburbs to Flagstaff Hill? There are a few worth looking at on the market in Happy Valley at the moment.

Also, it is worth visiting all the RE agents in the area and filling in a form with your requirements to go on their data base. Some of them have "pre-open" inspections or private viewings for their clients and you can often see a house before it goes on the open market.

We have just bought a house this way, we saw it and made an offer we were happy with, which was accepted and the house never went on the real estate.com listings or open inspections. They just seem to do things differently here!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to re-bump this as we are going back to our original plan of securing a rental for a further 12 months as we are struggling to find a suitable home to buy on our budget just now.

We will consider larger homes that have separate living space for my elderly parents, it doesn't necessarily need to have a granny flat in place.

Anything considered, thanks guys! :0)

It's a bit further afield but there is a 6 bed for rent listed in Woodcroft for $450 pw. It's a bit of a drive school run wise but should be manageable as the route is pretty easy.

Eta - a few listed in Trott park and Sheidow park, 4 beds with a bit of a cheaper price range. Drive to school in Flaggy would be pretty simple from Trott park way, about a 10 min drive going across usually.

Well, for a few reasons we now need to put house hunting on the back burner (buying) until next year.

This means we're still going to need to secure a rental when our lease expires in July as the owners are selling up.

If anyone knows of a potential suitable property for us all please get in touch.

Granny flat would be ideal for my folks but would consider a bigger house for us all if it meant they had own living space & bathroom.

Cheers :-)

I have a 5 bedroomed house in Port Noarlunga which may be a little further than you are looking for....it's not too far from Flagstaff but they didn't put an off on the southern expressway ramp there ...only other problem is that it's furnished but if you get really stuck give me a shout....there's a one bedroomed unit in the grounds too.