What to bring and what to leave.

Guest jlr248

Have read loads of posts regarding this topic but all seem to be years old. Can anyone who has moved in the last 6 months advise about shipping. Is there anything you wish you had stocked up on or left behind. For example I heard small electrical appliances and leather furniture are much more expensive in Oz than UK. Are there any other things with a great price difference? Any advice would be great. Thanks Jane

Am getting soo excited now - got our meds on Friday , wonder how much longer it will be before we know for sure - can't wait to get our house up for sale...ooops, s'pose im getting ahead of myself.

Guest leemina

We've been pricing things up on the net, comparing prices. We were going to leave our solid wood bunk beds here, but after pricing up we've realised that they'd cost a hell of a lot more to replace in oz, and they're solid and look good, so they're coming now. I'm gonna buy some new pots and pans, and some good duvets, as everyone says that they're not the same in oz, but other than that i think we should try to convert to oz ways.

My hubby asked me "is there anything you couldnt do without here?", and when i thought about it, there wasnt , other than him and kids obviously, everything else they'll sell in oz, its not like we're moving to a third world country (as i keep telling my parents).

Anyway, i'd like to know others opinions of this too, you never know i might add a few more 'good buys' before we ship too.

Guest cornish Busdriver

Bring everything you can.

If your buying new stuff, take it out of the packaging or you will pay tax on it if they think its new.

Delare everything and you will be supprised what they will let through customs and quantine.

If you replace it here you can always sell or donate the stuff you wont be using anymore.

Bed linen and towels. I'm slowly adding to both those things. I've 2 sets for each bed but am buying at least one more set for each and also fitted sheets, pillowcases and so on in plain colours. And decent spare duvets/bed throws/pillows. And a few decent non stick pots and pans.

For the rest we are shipping about 2/3rds of our house contents. Buying the equivalent new in Aus will cost a hell of a lot and its cheaper to ship our good stuff than replace it the other end. I'm figuring if it works and is still in decent condition and has a couple of years or more left in it, its worth shipping.

Only leaving behind the stuff that is old and needs replacing anyways (fridge freezer, garden furniture and a few wardrobes). Or the stuff I don't like or has outlived its usefulness. Will leave behind old TV, our bedside tables and a few other smaller bits of furniture now I think about it. The TV cabinet, an Ikea bookcase. Really not worth taking.

If you have specific things in mind I'd compare prices online (UK and Aus sites) and see how much it would cost you to replace once there over shipping it all. I worked it out as costing around £3000 to ship (with £500 or so leeway) and we'd not be able to replace our bed for a third of that if we wanted to buy something of the same quality etc. Same with sofa. That's another £1000 or so. So shipping just those two things plus the rest makes it financially viable for us. Of course we could just buy a houseful of stuff from Ikea once over there but its not really what I want to do. I love our bed, its so bloody good to sleep on and really was an investment for our bodies :cute: Our sofa is comfy and it took me years to find one I loved enough to splash out on. Same with a bookcase I want to bring. I like my own stuff and just replacing it all for something cheaper because we can't find a similar quality or afford it once out there doesn't appeal.

Hi, we are making the move on May 1st and we are taking everything we can with us.

Only thing we are leaving is the car and the cat:sad:.

As mentioned above if you buy new unpack it as customs will probably get you to pay tax on it.

We have got a 20ft container which will get our contents from a three bedroom house in, door to door for just over £3500.

Andrew

Guest Mitchell
Just another question - apologies if it seems a stupid one:embarrassed: We're going to ship over a couple of sets of draws - can I fill the drawers up with clothes etc (clothes will be in the vacuumed bags)?

You get charged on volume not weight so a good removalist will pack stuff inside other things to cut down your costs. DON'T pack things yourself get the removalists to do it as packing yourself is the best way to get customs to go through your stuff with a fine tooth comb as my sister found out. Didn't help that my mum did it (she'd been here a few years when the stuff was shipped) as mum put "surprises" like chocolate in every box. Customs had a field day!

Guest Calstar
Hi, we are making the move on May 1st and we are taking everything we can with us.

Only thing we are leaving is the car and the cat:sad:.

As mentioned above if you buy new unpack it as customs will probably get you to pay tax on it.

We have got a 20ft container which will get our contents from a three bedroom house in, door to door for just over £3500.

Andrew

Hi Willber,

Just wondered who you are using for your shipping?

Thanks

Cal

Guest the terry's

Just a quicky guys with regards to packing. How do they pack a 3 piece suite in? Do they pack on top of it or do they box round it? Have visions of it being completely squashed and springs knackered by the time it arrives !

Cheers,

Helenx

Just a quicky guys with regards to packing. How do they pack a 3 piece suite in? Do they pack on top of it or do they box round it? Have visions of it being completely squashed and springs knackered by the time it arrives !

Cheers' date='

Helenx[/quote']

Our suite escaped damage, but we bought a good mattress to bring over and that was ruined - clearly it had been packed horizontally and had stuff piled on top (but then, nothing surprises me given the clowns who did our shipping).

Jim

I go with bring everything too!

Even Quit covers, Duvet (it does get cold here in winter).

Another thing we did and wished we hadnt ,was throw loads of our clothes out. Not sure what height you are, but I find it difficult to find clothes for the slightly short. Again, even bring your jumpers and coats.

Not sure if you were thinking of shipping your car either, but they are expensive too here. If you hadnt got air con, dont worry, it can be fitted quite cheaply.

Not meaning to make it sound cold and miserable, we get lovely hot summers as well.

Guest jlr248

Hadnt thought of shipping car. Thought it was very expensive. We have a VW Bora 04 but good mileage and its got air con. Would it be worth bringing it? What are the costs involved and how do you do it. Also my husband is a plumber and has loads of tools including high pressure jetter. He will want to bring most of them over, is this worth while.

Hadnt thought of shipping car. Thought it was very expensive. We have a VW Bora 04 but good mileage and its got air con. Would it be worth bringing it? What are the costs involved and how do you do it. Also my husband is a plumber and has loads of tools including high pressure jetter. He will want to bring most of them over, is this worth while.

I found this useful for info on car shipping

Weigh it up carefully. Cars are more expensive in Australia as a rule. If you have room and the car is decent, consider if its worthwhile to ship it. Be aware that selling an import on usually will see the car fetch less than one first regged in Australia. But if you plan to keep it its not going to be an issue.

Hubby and I are pondering shipping a car over. Although we are considering buying something a year before we are due to go (to avoid fees). But it will be a car we know will last us a fair few years.

Guest jlr248

Thanks for that link Snifter - it seems there is quite a lot involved! Sure our car isnt worth the time or hassle - far too much else to think about!

Love your random footnote - dont mess with neon love chicken lol x

Fankoo

Its a line I heard years ago on Whose Line Is It Anyway (said by Mike McShane iirc) and it cracked me up and stayed in my head ever since.

Drinking to forget his wardrobe

(Ryan is wearing a bright orange shirt)

Mike: Don't mess with the Neon Love Chicken!

Greg: Who ordered pumpkin?

Ryan: Shut up! Everybody shut up!

Clive: It's the Stiles tartan! I wish I hadn't said that...

Mike: What's got you down in the mouth, huh?

Ryan Stiles:

People say things to me that really make me hurt

Sometimes they complain and joke about my shirt

I'm not sure if it's some other joke that I've missed

People make fun of me because I wear fashions from Sunkist!

Mike McShane:

I know you got problems, I can say

It's a bright shirt, but what the hey!

You're lookin' healthy, believe you and me

With the shirt like that you must be getting your Vitamin C

I tell you baby, keep it alive-a

Dip your shirt in this vodka and have a screwdriver!

Not as funny unless you see it in action :P