Our first day in Adelaide

Where do I start ? We arrived today and we feel overwhelmed with it all really. We were met at the airport and transported to our short term rental in Reynella. If we stop and think about the things we need to sort out and the what we have done ( Transported our girls to the other side of the world away from their loved ones, friends and dog)...well, I just don't know.

We are unpacking, the girls are asleep and the missus is fighting back the tears ! I thought i'd get on here and say......we have landed and are now officially "poms in adelaide":wacko:

We are all looking forward to hopefully meeting some new friends

Guest guest3462

Congratulations and welcome to Adelaide!! You must be knackered, but hey, well done you have made it!! It is a massively overwhelming experience that will stay with you forever, but rest assured it is a great decision you have all made!!

Enjoy your first evening in Aus, hope you had energy to stop off at the bottle set a bottle of wine. Your next few weeks will pass by in a blur while you get everything sorted, but if you need a hand give me a shout, I have everything you need if you want to borrow pots or pans or a kettle etc til you get sorted, Iknowhow impossible everything must ssem just now!!!

We have girls of similar ages, so if you fancy a get together for a brew or beer pm me and i'll give you my mobile number.

Anyway, for now......relax, put your feet up, wrap up warm and enjoy being home!

All the best

The Churches

Guest nikki & john

Hi guys

Just wanted to say welcome and tell you that you will feel much better about things in the morning. Try to get a good nights sleep, tomorrow is to be another beautiful day, I wouldn't worry about anything more tomorrow than getting some shopping in. It can all wait until Monday and there is plenty of time. Hope you love your new life here, it does take a bit of time to settle in but there are lots of great people on here who will happily help you with anything they can.

Take care

Nikki

Guest Carolandcraig

Welcome to Adealide, dont worry about all the things youve got to do, most things will fall into place when you get to know your way round. Hope you settle in soon.

I felt exactly the same on the day we arrived. After all the excitement and build up of planning for the move it is a very strange feeling to be in a strange place, so far away - so overwhelming!!!!!

As Nikki says tomorrow is another day, the sun is going to shine and you can start exploring - maybe go down to the beach - you are not far from Christies Beach and let the kids run around.

I am really lucky that the first night was my only wobble in the 2 1/2 years we have been here.

People are so friendly both on here and Aussies - we were given so many contact details from people we got chatting to - even when waiting to do driving licences etc

Enjoy the adventure and Good Luck!!!!!

Lea :wubclub:

Guest kangomik

Hey welcome to Adelaide.

The emotions run riot for the next few days, just as someone said, get a little shopping, have a walk down the beach, take things easy.

You've probably arrived on the best day, it gives you two days of rest before anywhere is open for things you need to do, so chill relax and get over that terrible jetlag.

The weather forcast is pants for next week, but it doesn't mean it will be bad all day so enjoy the cooler weather.

Have fun looking around and remember to take your time

Guest JoTanCalOwen

Congratulations, you made it, greet each day with a smile, youhave come this far and wanted it too, it will be soooo worth it. We are watching from the other side, keep us updated.

Tanya

Guest Damien

Hi Chaps,

We've been here two months now and were in exactly the same situation as you. We have a boy 8 and girl turned 5 a couple of weeks ago. You make friends really quickly over here and you'll soon feel at home. You will spend the next week or so in shock but it does get better! We are just down the road in Port Noarlunga (by the beach) if you wanna meet up. it's an emotional roller coaster but keep things as normal as you can ie go fishing, pub etc and you will settle in quickly.

Damo

Guest Nick11

WELCOME TO ADELAIDE

We've all been where you are at the mo - so call on us if you need any help

What you are feeling is natural - it will pass.

Be prepared for lots of highs along the way..but also a few lows.

Nick

XXX

Guest Django

Welcome to Adelaide. :D

As mention before if you need help with anything shout. We have all been there and have had the support of those that were here before us to make life easier.

We are just down the road and the offer is there.

As Kangomik says don't rush to do everything at once. Take a few days out to explore and get over the time difference.

Pete

Guest rockpool crab
Hi Chaps,

We've been here two months now and were in exactly the same situation as you. We have a boy 8 and girl turned 5 a couple of weeks ago. You make friends really quickly over here and you'll soon feel at home. You will spend the next week or so in shock but it does get better! We are just down the road in Port Noarlunga (by the beach) if you wanna meet up. it's an emotional roller coaster but keep things as normal as you can ie go fishing, pub etc and you will settle in quickly.

Damo

Hi Damo...we're in Port Noarlunga too :-) happy to meet up with anyone in the vicinity. We've been here for 15 months now and love the area.

I remember when we first arrived in Adelaide. We had a 10 day rental and arrived on 23rd December. I quite frankly "blubbed" like a baby and thought what the hell have I done..draggin my family half way across the world. Very emotional time. But seems so long ago and now we're getting on with it and doing the best we can. Both got jobs although nothing like the salaries we were on..but I'm not that obtuse to know that I can just rock into the same job as I had. We'll hopefully build on our jobs and one day we'll get to where we were.

My kids are so happy and that's the main reason we came. They love the lifestyle and during the summer we're first on the beach. I love the lifestyle too...one of the reasons I came here.

I could go on and one day I will post about our true experiences here but enough's enough..and just try to ride out your first days of emotion..as they are the "purist" of emotions..hence the reason I blubbed like a baby the first few days. But you will settle and really really quickly...even the next couple of days and you'll start to think..wow..this is great...(for your own reasons)..and then you'll think.....yup....it's good and I love this...and I love that...and blah blah...and before you know it you're loving SA!! easy peasy lemon squeezy :-)

Carol Ann

Welcome welcome welcome,

The first few days can be tough. But there will be so much to sort out, that the next time you stop to think your first week will pass, then your second. South Australia is a great place, especially for families. You will notice this straight away.

Try to go with the flow, and take each day as it comes.

Were all here to support each other. If there is anything that I can help with just let me know.

Prema

Welcme to the land where time flies by....

there is not 24 hours in the day or seven days in the week out here trust me !!!!!

Embrace all it has, and make as many friends as you can...some of these guys become so close that they become youe new family out here....share the good times and share the bad times....you will have a fair few of each.

Shout out should you need to know anything at all, someone on here will have some answers for you.

Enjoy Adelaide and all it has to offer.....and thats Heaps.....

Catch yas

HG

Congratultions and welcome....

As everyone has said don't rush it all try to enjoy the fact that you are here and savour it. If you can go for a stroll on the beach this afternoon clear your head and remember all your hard work it took you to get here.

I have 2 small kids too and are happy to help if I can, please feel free to borrow toys or just come for a play.

There is some free activities on this sat at Morphett Vale - maybe we could make it a poms outing.

http://www.onkaparingafamily.com/news_families/items/2010/05/317617-upload-00001.pdfc

If you want to come along give us a shout if not please PM with anything and will help if we can.

Michelle

Guest Roo1

Hey, Welcome to Adelaide!!!

After a couple of days rest to get over the jet lag, start exploring and once things become familiar you'll feel a lot better.

Good luck guys and if you want to meet up for a coffee, just shout.

Judi x

Guest mimasawrus

Congratulations and good luck guys, enjoy every minute and remember there is always help out there, coffee beer or just a good chat keep smiling:):):)

Laura x

Welcome to Adelaide. It is amazing how quickly you will get yourself organised and settled in. I have my mother over visiting at the moment and she is amazed at how many friends we have and that she seems to think that I know Adelaide like the back of my hand. We have been here just over 9 months and it feels like only yesterday when we landed. Good luck and as everyone else has said, if you need anything, just give us a shout. All the best.:)

Hi Guys, Thank you so much for your kind replies and offers. The last few days have been a blur really, with setting up bank accounts and looking around suburbs and trying to keep the wee ones entertained. Maybe taking up a few of those offers of coffee and beer and great to hear that we are not the only ones here with little ones. It must be hard for them having no friends. BUT....

We are feeling alot more positive about things :jiggy:

Thank you !!!

Guest Jersey Bean
Where do I start ? We arrived today and we feel overwhelmed with it all really. We were met at the airport and transported to our short term rental in Reynella. If we stop and think about the things we need to sort out and the what we have done ( Transported our girls to the other side of the world away from their loved ones, friends and dog)...well, I just don't know.

We are unpacking, the girls are asleep and the missus is fighting back the tears ! I thought i'd get on here and say......we have landed and are now officially "poms in adelaide":wacko:

We are all looking forward to hopefully meeting some new friends

Hi,

well done you`ve got this far!

Not in Adelaide Yet in Dubai at the moment from uk & left 4 years ago,such an emotional roller coaster I know still living it!

Everything will be good just takes time once you get settled & meet new friends & your kids are happy everything will fall into place 'Happy kids happy parents'

Stay focused on making your new life in Adelaide & good luck

All the best Claire

Guest mOZzy

hello and welcome to adelaide!

hope the jetlag is gone and that you can focus on other things now!

don't do too much each day ... choose one thing you'd like to organise and take the rest of the day for your family!

i don't know for how long you've got your short term rental but i'd say start looking for the longer one soon! we had troubles finding one .. but then again that was 6 months ago (time really flies when you have fun :D) - and it might be completly different now!

we've also got 2 young kids (6 and 4.5) so if you need company or ideas just give us a shout!

Guest ste and cheryl

Congratulations on making the move !!

I can't get over how friendly and helpful everyone is, its so nice to read !!

Good luck with everything

Cheryl & Ste x