Mount Barker Information

mac

It is further away than I would live if I was working in Adelaide, the traffic always seems to be heavy on the freeway. But lots of people do live there and it seems a nice country town growing rapidly.

Where do you plan to work?

hi thanks for replying

iam a fork lift truck driver and a lorry driver but I wont be do that until we have lived there awhile. My wife is a account assistant so I would think it would be adelaide

Edited by mac

Its a nice town. I like its its own place. Its access to the expressway is a plus point but that will be busy in rush hour.

I rather like some of the smaller towns out that way too but get thats not for everybody.

You can read about the schools online. There is this thread that can get you started with schools out there

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/kids-down-under/44624-useful-links-schools-primary-high-school.html

I lived in Mt Barker for a while.Primary school was fine from what I recall.You won't really need to head out of Mt Barker for shopping.It pretty much has everything you'd need,banks,supermarket,hairdressers,gift shops etc.Go on google earth and take a virtual drive around. The traffic can get bad on the freeway at peak times.I moved from Mt Barker to a smaller town as Mt Barker was starting (to me anyway)look just like a suburb than a town if that makes sense.They've built a whole load of new houses which I think spoils country towns. My brother lives in Freeling.It was a tiny town 20 odd yrs ago.Unfortunately one of the farmers sold off the land,and it now has a big new estate attached to the town.My brother is in the process of moving as he says the town has lost its tight knit community feel.

If you were working in Adelaide Mount Barker might be a bit of a treck, although I know of people that drive in from Strathalban so it is doable. If it appeals then go and have a look when you get here, or even stay there initially if you can find somewhere to stay, and have a good look round and see what you think. For the schools check out the links in Snifter's thread and have a look at the school's website. Try and find the context statement that should be on the website as this will give you an idea of the direction of the school and if you think it looks okay go and visit once you are here.

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Mt Barker and love it. The rush hour traffic on the freeway is busy but is nothing compared to UK rush hour!!. There are several good schools in the area. As you will see from the chat here, quite a few people send their kids to private schools which are affordable (we did :)) BUT knowing what I know now, I would not waste my money on primary school years in private.

There are great sporting clubs, loads of places to meet people and generally fantastic(obviously I am biased!) We would have like to live near the sea but it was far too expensive for us, so the Hills won the day.