UK Oct/Nov $1363 return

Guest Guest14361

Guest Guest14361
Guest Guest14361

What do you want for that price, good way to stretch the legs on the stops, 2 this flight, mate at work just flew back with Emirates ended up in the RAH with a blood clot in his legs, was in a bad way

Edited by Guest14361

What do you want for that price, good way to stretch the legs on the stops, 2 this flight, mate at work just flew back with Emirates ended up in the RAH with a blood clot in his legs, was in a bad way

i would tend to suggest that it's not emirates fault that he ended up in RAH and more that he would have got the blood clots on any flight with any airline if he was going to get one

also flights to perth at the moment are around 400 plus return and u can only check your bags through to Europe if u fly Qantas on the domestic leg which is usually more

also if u book the domestic leg on a different ticket and u r delayed and miss the connection to Garuda then u r stuffed so i agree it's a good deal but as with anything that is cheap it comes with caveats and consequences that people need to be aware of

if it's the difference between being able to go or not budget wise then it's a good option but for me I would stick with a deal out of adelaide even if u pay 1800 ish - less hassle but that's just me

Out of interest, has anyone done Air Asia to KL, then Malaysian onto UK? Air Asia fares are so reasonable at the moment, and the fact they fly direct out of Adelaide is great. Probably worth having a stopover in KL I guess in case of any delays, and as OKMorris says above, you couldn't be able to book your luggage all the way through, but I might go cost it up just out of interest!

Out of interest, has anyone done Air Asia to KL, then Malaysian onto UK? Air Asia fares are so reasonable at the moment, and the fact they fly direct out of Adelaide is great. Probably worth having a stopover in KL I guess in case of any delays, and as OKMorris says above, you couldn't be able to book your luggage all the way through, but I might go cost it up just out of interest!

if you are wanting a stop in kl it's a good option as air Asia fly into a different terminal in kl to Malaysian so it involves a bus between terminals and collecting your luggage if you are trying to connect on so bit of a pain but with a stop in kl it can be worth it. it depends on the exchange rates at the time as the Malaysian flight from kl to uk will be converted from ringitt into aud through the website u book so this can cause fluctuations but again a good option if you are trying to save

the only flaw flaw I can find is a long shot but if there was an ash cloud or the airline went bust then that flight from kl to uk is not covered under australian travel laws etc as it doesn't originate from here but really it's unlikely this would occur

be interesting to see how much u wud actually save ?

Interesting - I used outbound 18 Oct, arriving back, 17 Nov as sample dates:

With Air Asia you can do Adelaide - Kuala Lumpur return for $327 (that includes taxes etc)

You can then fly Malaysia on to London direct - leaving KL the next morning, and leaving UK on 15th November (which gets you to KL on 16th in time for your return) for about $1428 (give or take due to exchange rates)...

Or if you don't mind an extra touchdown en route, you can do KL - Mumbai - LHR return (without needing a night in KL) for $1,172.40 - flying Malaysian and Jet Airways (I searched on helloworld to be fair!)

So feasibly you could do ADL-LHR for a total of about $1500, which isn't bad!

Diane, flight centre want new agents...

After what I've written about Flight Centre in the past you wouldn't catch me wanting to work for them, ever - even wanting to walk inside their door for ANY reason! A smaller, more professional travel agency though, that might be different... Only one that sends me on lots of educationals though!!!!

I did study Bilingual Travel and Tourism at college many years ago, after all :smile:

I haven't done this but a colleague of mine that travels internationally 3 or 4 times a year has done. He is signed up with Air Asia to get notifications of the sales/cheap flights and has got a flight for something ridiculous like $50 return (can't remember the exact price but it was cheap). He has his travel agent on speed dial and gets her to find him the best deals and connections from his Air Asia flight on to where ever he is going next. He does travel light though so probably has all his stuff in his hand luggage.

The big advantage of Emirates from Adelaide is the speed in getting to/from UK.

I appreciate they may not be the cheapest but getting to England in 22hours, airport to airport is in my opinion more important than saving some money. The in flight service is brilliant, the food oK, not the best, but the overall flight experience is the best I have done.

Nic, the $50 fare wont include taxes though and they are hundreds, sadly.

And I don't want this to sound like 'bragging', but to be transparent, I do fly regularly to UK, I go for about a week every 3 months and I don't pay. But what I have put above still stands if I was paying and going for a decent length of time.

That Garuda flight goes into Gatwick and would have been ideal for me last time I went back. Would have cost a shedload more via Gatwick though so I went to Heathrow instead even though my final destination was on a direct train line from Gatwick and would have taken only around half an hour from leaving the airport. Decided that saving the extra travel time wasn't worth the extra cost.

Of course if you're travelling on expenses, travelling on your own, or travelling frequently, then price starts to take second place to convenience...but if you've got to pay for a whole family to go with you, and would rather spend the money when you get there rather than line some airline's pockets with it, then price starts to hit the top of your priority list!

Diane, i do agree 100%, but how much do you spend on food at airports whilst waiting, etc? Emirates is about $1900 return I think, so it is a lot more, but when on such a long flight comfort is also a big consideration. The A380s (From Dubai to UK) do give a lot more room which is also important to me - probably $200 worth of extra fare.

I am very happy for all the cheap options, it means my flights aren't as busy and I can lay out and sleep!

Diane, i do agree 100%, but how much do you spend on food at airports whilst waiting, etc? Emirates is about $1900 return I think, so it is a lot more, but when on such a long flight comfort is also a big consideration. The A380s (From Dubai to UK) do give a lot more room which is also important to me - probably $200 worth of extra fare.

I am very happy for all the cheap options, it means my flights aren't as busy and I can lay out and sleep!

About $12 on the way over to the UK this time. Usually spend about $20 max at Burger King.

We did a return trip with Emirates from the UK to Adelaide a few years back. The outward flight from the UK was delayed and we only just got our connecting flight after being rushed through the airport by Emirates staff. The home bound flight was also delayed and we missed the connecting flight and had to spend 6 hours in the airport waiting for the next one. We got a voucher for food but the kids didn't really like anything from the place we could use the voucher so we had to buy them something from one of the other places in the airport anyway. We finally got back to the UK late at night and then our car broke down on the way home so we were stuck on the side of the motorway in freezing weather (it was winter) with two small children in the middle of the night.

The experience has put me off short stops in airports for life so I now always go for at least a 4 hour stop. And if I'm going to be spending any time in an airport I would much prefer the one in Singapore to the Dubai one. I tend to opt though for whatever flight is cheapest and flying over when we moved Qantas was cheapest, and for this current holiday Singapore where cheapest by a long way. Got return flight for the four of us for about $7.5k. Everyone else at the time either hadn't opened the flights for the dates or were after over $10k for the four of us.

So if you have 2 stops you don't spend any money?

Well done, but most do spend a lot.

QANTAS are now Emirates, so if you fly Adelaide to Uk with QANTAS you won't see a flying kangaroo logo at all.

I do like the Singapore Airport, but haven't seen too much of Dubai as I have only ever been there for an hour and half at a time. I did once actually have a longer stop there and used their hotel. It worked well, so instead of arriving at Heathrow at 6 am we got there at lunchtime, but very refreshed.

So if you have 2 stops you don't spend any money?

Well done, but most do spend a lot.

See my post above - I didn't say we don't spend any money. We usually spend about $20 at Burger King in Singapore airport. Only one stop on the way there and one on the way back so about $40 in total per trip. While I agree some people spend more I doubt anyone spends $2.5k more, which is what we saved by booking with Singapore rather than anyone else.

Guest Guest12727
See my post above - I didn't say we don't spend any money. We usually spend about $20 at Burger King in Singapore airport. Only one stop on the way there and one on the way back so about $40 in total per trip. While I agree some people spend more I doubt anyone spends $2.5k more, which is what we saved by booking with Singapore rather than anyone else.

Bit confused with your figures NicF. I just compared Singapore and Emirates for the same departure and return dates Adelaide to London for 2 adults and 1 child and the fares were only $300 different total. Emirates were cheaper than Singapore and with the departure time late at night on Emirates you can work in the day, saving a days leave.

You must have had a fantastic deal.

Bit confused with your figures NicF. I just compared Singapore and Emirates for the same departure and return dates Adelaide to London for 2 adults and 1 child and the fares were only $300 different total. Emirates were cheaper than Singapore and with the departure time late at night on Emirates you can work in the day, saving a days leave.

You must have had a fantastic deal.

At the time we booked Singapore had early bird deals on and we got our flights for $7.5k for 4 of us. Everyone else wanted over $10k for the four of us or had not opened there flights for the dates we wanted. I'm not saying they are always the cheapest but if you can get flights with one airline for $2.5 less than any of the other airlines then it's well worth a slightly longer stay in the transiting airport.

ETA - we are actually in the UK at the moment and booked the flights in September last year.

Quite often you see Malaysian specials which are around the $1400-$1600 mark around Feb/Mar and Sep/Oct/Nov which is still a great price and just one airline - no picking up bags etc. I am a total cheapstake with flights - have done many horror flights with multiple stops etc to save a few hundred $$$s!

A couple of years ago I bought flights Adl - Buenos Aires return for $1249 - via KL and Cape Town! Crazy journey but couldn't resist at that price (painful doing the trip the long way round - but soooo worth it!)