Please help us choose a suburb

Guest sasha willis

Guest sasha willis

PLEASE HELP US CHOOSE A SUBURB

First let me introduce ourselves, are names are Nigel and Sasha we have 2 children Georeg 12, Olivia 10 and are moving out to Adelaide in March. My Husband is a carpet and vinyl fitter and i am a speicalised teaching assistant working with children with speech hearing and languge inpairments along with children that are hearing impaired using sign language.

My son and daughter both love horse riding and wish to continue and my son is a first class prospect at rugby union and has been told that he will go along way in this sport.

We would love to live near to the beach, rather than the city, but we are just not sure where to base ourselves.

So folks if you know of a carpet shop that is near to a special needs school, next to a stables near the beach and rugby club please let us know.lol If not any areas that would suit and we can then look into them. :biglaugh:

Hi Sasha,

Welcome!

I can certainly tick some of your boxes and i'm sure others will have their opinions too!

For beaches it has to be the South coast...Port Noarlunga and Christies are my local ones but ther's a range of stunning beaches right on our doorstep.

For the rugby...my OH is a rugby union fan...but it's very small here...sport is dominated by AFL, cricket, and rugby league. There is a strong rugby union following (my son went there) at:

Onkaparinga Rugby Union Football Club Inc

Address: States Rd, Morphett Vale, SA, 5162

Phone number: (08) 83828966

For horse riding there are plenty of places...have a look at: [url=http://www.cartmelriseequestriancentre.com/][/url]http://www.cartmelriseequestriancentre.com/

This is from a previous post on here for areas to live:

PORT NOARLUNGA

This suburb has everything and everywhere can be reached by walking. I do not know of any other suburb that has so much right on it's doorstep.

There'a a transport interchange at the large Noarlunga shoping centre. A train to town takes 40 minutes. The southern expressway can be reached within a few minutes and this reduces the travel time into the city.

Beaches: It's a seaside suburb with the most stunning sandy beach, jetty and reef protected swimming. Anglers fish from the jetty and children and divers share the sea! You can walk there or reach them within a few minutes by car. The nearby Christies beach is dog friendly and your pets can run free in the sand and surf every day.

Port Noarlunga / Port Noarlunga South took the 2010 award for Australia's cleanest beach. Over $8 million is being spent on new beachfront facilities.

Shopping: Too much to list! The Noarlunga centre is within walking distance and is 2 minutes by car.

Beach road in Christies Beach has Coles and Woolworths and many eateries and fast food outlets. The supermarkets are open from 6 till 9 and you don't even need a car. There are liquor stores and drive in liquor stores. There are 24 hour petrol stations, convenience stores and fast food outlets..

The village of Port Noarlunga has character. There are fish and chip shops, a post office, restaurants, vets, dive hire etc. There is a childrens fort and play area just accross the Onkaparinga estuary and this has barbie and picknick facilities.

Schools: There are child care and kindy facilities in Port Noarlunga, Noarlunga centre and Christies Beach.

The Port Noarlunga primary school is very popular (my own grandson will be going there!) and this school is being expanded and refurbished with $4 million due to the growing demand.

There is a Catholic primary school (St Johns) in nearby O Sullivans and a primary school in beach road.

High schools and technical colleges include the Catholic Cardijn, Christies High, and Marcellin technical.

The Noarlunga TAFE is just a few minutes away and this offers so many courses for teenagers and adults. It's next door to the modern public library.

Housing: Prices in the range of $350,000 up to million dollar properties for beachfront homes. The area is undergoing massive transformation with many 1960's homes being renovated or replaced with modern units. There is a large expat population and the adjoining suburb of Christies beach is where 25% of the residents were born in the UK! Prices are rising in this suburb and many properties are being converted into holiday accommodation.

Entertertainment: The nearby (walkable!) Noarlunga entertainment precinct has a cinema complex, bowling, ice skating, large indoor pool and sports facility, and laser quest. A new gym has just opened.

There is the floodlit footy sports oval in Noarlunga and the footy and cricket oval in Christies. There are bowling clubs in Christies and Port Noarlunga, tennis courts, canoeing on the Onkaparinga river,There are hotels, restaurants, and pubs in the Port Noarlunga village. There are Indian, Chinese, pasta eateries and pub food all on your doorstep.

Other facilities: There are local doctors, the Noarlunga hospital and the soon to be completed health village.There is surf lifsaving associations, launch sites on the beaches and local dive facilities. There are great fishing spots on the river, from the jetty or from boats launched from O Sullivans beach. The water is calm and protected and the kids swim, surf and body board in safety. There are loads of parks and playgrounds, tennis courts and sport facilities. The infrastructure is good with high speed internet from many service providers.

Would I still choose to live here now?

Absolutely!

I look out on the stunning estuary and sea every day and am thankfull for being able to live in such a stunning location. I have the McLarenvale wine region just a few km away.

I bought my PortNoarlunga house 4 years ago after being in Oz for 3 weeks! I have just bought another home in Port Noarlunga and my daughter lives in Port Noarlunga! My teenage son works at the local Noarlunga centre and my other teenage son is attending the local Noarlunga TAFE. I walk (run!) my energetic boxer (Dutchess) on the beach nearly every day. I take my grandchildren to the beach, the local pool, the shops, the parks....my entire world is on my doorstep.

It's safe to walk the streets and i don't worry about crime. The people are so friendly and my decision to live here was totally right.

I honestly wouldn't want to live anywhere else in Adelaide than in Port Noarlunga.

Tamara

Guest railman2404

What a wonderful advert for Port Noarlunga

We are staying there in March, in one of your daughters properties I believe and from what we are hearing and seeing it looks fabulous

QUOTE=Tamara (Homes Down Under);213731]Hi Sasha,

Welcome!

I can certainly tick some of your boxes and i'm sure others will have their opinions too!

For beaches it has to be the South coast...Port Noarlunga and Christies are my local ones but ther's a range of stunning beaches right on our doorstep.

For the rugby...my OH is a rugby union fan...but it's very small here...sport is dominated by AFL, cricket, and rugby league. There is a strong rugby union following (my son went there) at:

For horse riding there are plenty of places...have a look at: http://www.cartmelriseequestriancentre.com/

PORT NOARLUNGA

This suburb has everything and everywhere can be reached by walking. I do not know of any other suburb that has so much right on it's doorstep.

There'a a transport interchange at the large Noarlunga shoping centre. A train to town takes 40 minutes. The southern expressway can be reached within a few minutes and this reduces the travel time into the city.

Beaches: It's a seaside suburb with the most stunning sandy beach, jetty and reef protected swimming. Anglers fish from the jetty and children and divers share the sea! You can walk there or reach them within a few minutes by car. The nearby Christies beach is dog friendly and your pets can run free in the sand and surf every day.

Port Noarlunga / Port Noarlunga South took the 2010 award for Australia's cleanest beach. Over $8 million is being spent on new beachfront facilities.

Shopping: Too much to list! The Noarlunga centre is within walking distance and is 2 minutes by car.

Beach road in Christies Beach has Coles and Woolworths and many eateries and fast food outlets. The supermarkets are open from 6 till 9 and you don't even need a car. There are liquor stores and drive in liquor stores. There are 24 hour petrol stations, convenience stores and fast food outlets..

The village of Port Noarlunga has character. There are fish and chip shops, a post office, restaurants, vets, dive hire etc. There is a childrens fort and play area just accross the Onkaparinga estuary and this has barbie and picknick facilities.

Schools: There are child care and kindy facilities in Port Noarlunga, Noarlunga centre and Christies Beach.

The Port Noarlunga primary school is very popular (my own grandson will be going there!) and this school is being expanded and refurbished with $4 million due to the growing demand.

There is a Catholic primary school (St Johns) in nearby O Sullivans and a primary school in beach road.

High schools and technical colleges include the Catholic Cardijn, Christies High, and Marcellin technical.

The Noarlunga TAFE is just a few minutes away and this offers so many courses for teenagers and adults. It's next door to the modern public library.

Housing: Prices in the range of $350,000 up to million dollar properties for beachfront homes. The area is undergoing massive transformation with many 1960's homes being renovated or replaced with modern units. There is a large expat population and the adjoining suburb of Christies beach is where 25% of the residents were born in the UK! Prices are rising in this suburb and many properties are being converted into holiday accommodation.

Entertertainment: The nearby (walkable!) Noarlunga entertainment precinct has a cinema complex, bowling, ice skating, large indoor pool and sports facility, and laser quest. A new gym has just opened.

There is the floodlit footy sports oval in Noarlunga and the footy and cricket oval in Christies. There are bowling clubs in Christies and Port Noarlunga, tennis courts, canoeing on the Onkaparinga river,There are hotels, restaurants, and pubs in the Port Noarlunga village. There are Indian, Chinese, pasta eateries and pub food all on your doorstep.

Other facilities: There are local doctors, the Noarlunga hospital and the soon to be completed health village.There is surf lifsaving associations, launch sites on the beaches and local dive facilities. There are great fishing spots on the river, from the jetty or from boats launched from O Sullivans beach. The water is calm and protected and the kids swim, surf and body board in safety. There are loads of parks and playgrounds, tennis courts and sport facilities. The infrastructure is good with high speed internet from many service providers.

Absolutely!

I look out on the stunning estuary and sea every day and am thankfull for being able to live in such a stunning location. I have the McLarenvale wine region just a few km away.

I bought my PortNoarlunga house 4 years ago after being in Oz for 3 weeks! I have just bought another home in Port Noarlunga and my daughter lives in Port Noarlunga! My teenage son works at the local Noarlunga centre and my other teenage son is attending the local Noarlunga TAFE. I walk (run!) my energetic boxer (Dutchess) on the beach nearly every day. I take my grandchildren to the beach, the local pool, the shops, the parks....my entire world is on my doorstep.

It's safe to walk the streets and i don't worry about crime. The people are so friendly and my decision to live here was totally right.

I honestly wouldn't want to live anywhere else in Adelaide than in Port Noarlunga.

Tamara

Guest Jennet
Hi Sasha,

Welcome!

For horse riding there are plenty of places...have a look at: http://www.cartmelriseequestriancentre.com/

PORT NOARLUNGA

Absolutely!

Tamara

I have been looking at this suburb as i will be staying with my friends in Seaford in July, she said it wasn't far from her. Do you have any info on Aldinga, i have had some info but the more i can get the better, the property prices seem rather good too, i am aware it's a developing suburb.

cheers

jennet

Hi there,

You will enjoy our daughters property in Port Noarlunga.

If you look on google maps for 76 River Road, Port Noarlunga and turn the view around...there's tennis courts accross the road and the river is less than 100m away.

The whole south coast is a great place to live. Aldinga is expanding and many of our guests move there....great beaches...close to the McLarenvale wine region...good place to live and buy a property. The expansion of the rail link from Noarlunga to Seaford is currently underway and Seaford and Port Noarlunga South are good places to live. It takes 40 minutes into town from Noarlunga so an extra 5 to 7 minutes from Seaford will be great for residents who currently drive to Noarlunga, park and then commute into town.

Tamara

Guest Jennet
Hi there,

You will enjoy our daughters property in Port Noarlunga.

If you look on google maps for 76 River Road, Port Noarlunga and turn the view around...there's tennis courts accross the road and the river is less than 100m away.

The whole south coast is a great place to live. Aldinga is expanding and many of our guests move there....great beaches...close to the McLarenvale wine region...good place to live and buy a property. The expansion of the rail link from Noarlunga to Seaford is currently underway and Seaford and Port Noarlunga South are good places to live. It takes 40 minutes into town from Noarlunga so an extra 5 to 7 minutes from Seaford will be great for residents who currently drive to Noarlunga, park and then commute into town.

Tamara

thats great

thanks

Hi Sasha,

Also check out the suburb of Moana - its also a beachside suburb and about 5/10 mins further south from Port Noarlunga.

Moana has a drive on beach section - which is fab for when you want to go to the beach - you can just take everything in your car and unload...... We have local shops and opposite Seaford Shopping Mall - and the soon to be train station.

Its a quiet family friendly suburb with a surf club on the beach and lovely coastal walks.

I have quite a few photos of the area on our website if you want to have a look. We too are only a 5/10 min drive to the Rugby club.

Sarahx

Guest johnny.w

we moved to seaford rise in september and really like the place . 5 min drive to moana beach which is our favourite, but you also have the choise of aldinga , maslin, christies and port noarlunga beaches 10/15 min drive. I drive to work which is in keswick just west of the city and it takes me about 35 min. (leaving at six). Property will be a bit cheaper the further south you go. Loads of brits about this area . Cant help you with the school all i can say is that our 2 have settled in well at seaford rise primary.

Hi

I would like to ask whether or not anyone is aware of livery charges for keeping a horse in and around Adelaide as we are horse owners and looking to buy again when we finally arrive?

Does anyone have experienced owning horses in Oz?

Anna

Hi Anna,

You may find the Horse SA website useful for all horse-related info: http://www.horsesa.asn.au/zeolite/zsection/2

Guest sasha willis

Hi Vic

We got in on my hubands qulification which is a skilled migration 176 visa permanent residence it took about 18 months form start to finish and £5000.

Thanks Sasha.

Guest sasha willis

Hi Tamara,

Thank you for the reply and the great post we may call on you again to help or advise on a 3-4 week rental properites in and around this area, or do you think it is best to book into a hotel.

We think we are coming in the last three weeks in March or the first week in April as we are just waiting for the contracts to be exchanged this week we hope, any advice you can give us would be greatfully recieved.

Thanks Sasha

Hi

Just to back up what Tamara said about this area. We actually live in Christies Beach and have done from when we first got here and a street away from the beach. We did the same as you and asked for reviews and got a few mixed. We actually love this area and Port Noarlunga and would love to buy here but prices are going up and we want land with our property which sadly is not available here. Our eldest goes to Christies Primary and my daughter to Christies North kindie and they both love it and we cannot fault them.

Happy hunting

Hi Sasha,

Hotels are really expensive and they are not homes!

You need an address so that your tax file, Medicare, bank cards, drivers licence etc can be sent to. You will also need a reference which your furnished rental owner can provide...this is when you apply for a long term unfurnished rental. They phone your present landlord and ask a few questions about you!

I only have 9 days available at the end of March but I work closely with other rental companies.

I will send you a pm.

Tamara

Hi Sasha

When you are looking on www.realsestate.com.au - also have a look at Seaford, Seaford Rise and Seaford Meadows - they have newer homes and you will get more for your money and many homes in Seaford Rise have sea views..... Its location is opposite the suburb of Moana and close to Port Noarlunga and Christies.

Hope this helps

Sarah

http://www.sarugby.com.au/play_rugby.html

http://www.klemzigps.sa.edu.au/

http://www.deafchildrenaustralia.org.au/node/441

http://www.raa.com.au/maps/

Best bet is to find where your best job opportunities are first, then find sports clubs and riding stables nearby. You'll spend more time at work than your family spend doing their hobbies, so make that a priority before choosing a suburb that may put employers off employing you.